• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

World Club 10's Singapore - June 21/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Despite the Test window being upon us, the Brumbies are sending a team to the World Club 10's to be held in Singapore on June 21 and 22 at the new National Stadium.

There are 8 teams split into 2 pools and they are:
Pool A - Auckland Blues, Biarritz, London Welsh and Samoa Water President 10
Pool B - Brumbies, Cardiff Blues, The Dragons (Asia Pacific) and Petraca (Italy)

Pool games will be held on the Saturday and the knockout stages on Sunday.

Full Schedule http://worldclubtens.com/schedule/

Not sure about TV coverage into Australia yet but will chase it up.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Brumbies squad: Les Makin, Rodney Iona, Josh Mann-Rea, Lionel Cronje, Jordan Smiler, Michael Dowsett, Ruan Smith, Jesse Mogg, Lachlan McCaffrey, Robbie Coleman, Conrad Hoffmann, Nigel Ah Wong, Andrew Smith, Ruaidhri Murphy, Leon Power.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Brumbies squad: Les Makin, Rodney Iona, Josh Mann-Rea, Lionel Cronje, Jordan Smiler, Michael Dowsett, Ruan Smith, Jesse Mogg, Lachlan McCaffrey, Robbie Coleman, Conrad Hoffmann, Nigel Ah Wong, Andrew Smith, Ruaidhri Murphy, Leon Power.

Some good players there. Are you able to give a short run down on how 10s is played? Breakdown of forwards and backs, any special laws, ground size etc?

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Some good players there. Are you able to give a short run down on how 10s is played? Breakdown of forwards and backs, any special laws, ground size etc?

Played in the Hong Kong 10s in early 90s, pretty much the same as 15 man rugby, just five forwards and five backs really being the only exception.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

It's kind of like England for much of the 2000s except there aren't 5 blokes standing out wide catching a cold and dying of boredom. :D

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
are the set pieces legit? Cause if not, I wouldn't be risking your first string hooker (Mann-Rea) in this event.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Siliva is out for the season after knee and ankle surgery.

There's no one else but Murphy can do it at a stretch apparently.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'd be looking at Steve Fualau if I was you.

He's done with the Rebels but talk is he's signed for D2 in France. Still, D2 doesn't start for a while and maybe something can be negotiated.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Sounds like a cool event. Good on the Brumbies for getting involved after also playing (and winning) the world 7's in London last year.

Will be interesting to see what sort of crowds it attracts considering Singapore (through the Asia-Pacific Dragons) are apparently one of the options for the 18th Super Rugby team. I guess the fact it's the first event at the new stadium might help.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Will be interesting to see what sort of crowds it attracts considering Singapore (through the Asia-Pacific Dragons) are apparently one of the options for the 18th Super Rugby team. I guess the fact it's the first event at the new stadium might help.

A few days ago they had sold 10,000 tickets in a 50,000 seat stadium.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
A few days ago they had sold 10,000 tickets in a 50,000 seat stadium.

Ha, and it will be played over 2 days as well. Sounds like it will be a ghost town. Quite a disappointment!

A poor turnout would surely put to bed the chances of super rugby in Singapore. For 2016 at least.

T

TOCC

The rugby pitch is in worse shape then some of those grounds in Brazil as well

Should still be good to watch, it's just one of those events which is going to take time to build momentum.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
My wife and I are in Singapore right now. The max temperature at this time of year is 33c, and at the moment it is pelting down. The humidity is 80%.

There is not a snowball's chance in hell that serious rugby will ever be played here.

This is the tropics, and there is no local audience for the game.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
My wife and I are in Singapore right now. The max temperature at this time of year is 33c, and at the moment it is pelting down. The humidity is 80%.

There is not a snowball's chance in hell that serious rugby will ever be played here.

This is the tropics, and there is no local audience for the game.

I read the new stadium has a permanent roof and some form of air conditioning system.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
I read the new stadium has a permanent roof and some form of air conditioning system.
Indeed it has a cooling system. I will report back next week as to its effectiveness. While I agree with wamberal that the locals have close to zero interest, there are a bunch of expats in the region that could possibly supply a Brumbies size crowd.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Indeed it has a cooling system. I will report back next week as to its effectiveness. While I agree with wamberal that the locals have close to zero interest, there are a bunch of expats in the region that could possibly supply a Brumbies size crowd.

Maybe there would be a novelty factor, but nothing beats a strong local support base. Expats come and go, locals are absolutely essential to provide the basic support. Otherwise, really, why bother?

T

TOCC

Apparently 10'000 tickets have been sold, given this event carries absolutely no profile and has minimal stars playing, that is a pretty good turnout for a country that has minimal rugby union history.

Status
Not open for further replies.