• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

World Rugby Awards 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nominees for International Try of the Year

Hard to believe the first Savea try made the cut, other than the SBW-style Carter offload, which is pretty ho-hum these days, even props be poppin' them FFS, there's not too much going on there...........

Reckon they'll give it to Goromaru on account of its significance. Personally I'd go with Vainokolo.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nominees for Breakthrough Player of the Year:

"MARK BENNETT (SCOTLAND)
The highly-rated centre made his test debut in the win over Argentina last November, having previously represented Scotland at age grade level and sevens. One of only five players to start every Six Nations match in 2015, Bennett recovered from a shoulder injury to make the RWC 2015 squad and has again proved a danger in the Scottish midfield in the tournament, scoring twice in the win over Japan and once against Australia. The 22-year-old has started all 13 of his tests in a young Scottish backline.

"VASIL LOBZHANIDZE (GEORGIA)
The diminutive scrum-half made his test debut against Germany in the European Nations Cup on 7 February and has quickly established himself as his country’s number one. He wrote his name into the Rugby World Cup history books when he started Georgia’s opening win over Tonga, becoming the youngest player in the tournament’s history at 18 years and 340 days. Lobzhanidze also played against New Zealand and Namibia to help Georgia secure qualification for RWC 2019, all only four months after he inspired his country to a first World Rugby U20 Trophy title.

"NEHE MILNER-SKUDDER (NEW ZEALAND)
A stand-out for the Hurricanes in his debut Super Rugby season earlier this year, earning comparisons with his childhood idol Christian Cullen. The full-back cum winger forced himself into the mind of All Blacks selectors as a result and made the most of his chance, scoring twice on his debut against Australia in The Rugby Championship. The 24-year-old has started five matches at RWC 2015 and continued his penchant for try-scoring doubles, crossing twice against both Namibia and Tonga in Pool C and then once in the quarter-final against France."

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/118978

Obviously seen a fair bit of NMS but don't know much about the other two................

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Lobzhanidze was great for Georgia, and as the youngest player to ever play in the world cup I think it'd be pretty cool to see him win.

That said, Milner-Skudder has gone from a no-name to a potential World XV selection in one season.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How does Mark Bennett get nominated over Jesse Kriel? Bennett didn't even debut this year.

I'd take him over NMS too.

World Rugby can't get anything right. Pocock probably doesn't win POTY.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
NMS will have it. Obviously Lobzhanidze is ridiculously young and hasn't looked off the pace whatsoever, but he'll not get it because of politics.

Bennett could be the next BOD or Conrad, but he's defos not there yet. NMS has been much better over the course of the tournament. There'll be no gripes from me when he takes it.

EDIT: And of course it's politics. One 6 Nations, One Rugby Championship, One 2nd tier. If Nehe is always gonna win it, of which he is a very deserving winner, why not do it that way.

Jellic87

Chris McKivat (8)
Nominees for International Try of the Year

Hard to believe the first Savea try made the cut, other than the SBW-style Carter offload, which is pretty ho-hum these days, even props be poppin' them FFS, there's not too much going on there.....

Reckon they'll give it to Goromaru on account of its significance. Personally I'd go with Vainokolo.

Jeez, not wrong about the first Savea try. Good offload but not much else.

I think NMS would be a very worthy winner but have to be honest I've seen absolutely nothing of Lobzhanidze.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Agree, surprised with the first Savea try. Although his second nomination is a beauty.

They are all really good tries. But how can they nominate before the final? What if Savea pulls out a similar try but it happens in the dying moments of the game to win the match? That would easily win try of the year.

Jellic87

Chris McKivat (8)
Agree, surprised with the first Savea try. Although his second nomination is a beauty.

They are all really good tries. But how can they nominate before the final? What if Savea pulls out a similar try but it happens in the dying moments of the game to win the match? That would easily win try of the year.

Oh god please don't say that! :confused:

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

The Savea try is then disallowed and Greg Holmes takes a quick tap to run 100m and score the real winning try.

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
Jeez, not wrong about the first Savea try. Good offload but not much else.

I think NMS would be a very worthy winner but have to be honest I've seen absolutely nothing of Lobzhanidze.
Did you watch Georgia play? At times that kid was playing like he was Aaron Smith in disguise. Id go as far and say he is already the second most important player after Gorgodze and will captain Georgia after Mamuka hangs up the boots.
But I am abit biased as I got cheap tickets to the bandwagon during half time break in their first pool match.

That being said I wont be pissed or surprised if NMS gets it, surely he is already 25 and plays for argyably the best team in the world, but he is an unquestionable talent and a freak athlete.

Jellic87

Chris McKivat (8)
Did you watch Georgia play? At times that kid was playing like he was Aaron Smith in disguise. Id go as far and say he is already the second most important player after Gorgodze and will captain Georgia after Mamuka hangs up the boots.
But I am abit biased as I got cheap tickets to the bandwagon during half time break in their first pool match.

That being said I wont be pissed or surprised if NMS gets it, surely he is already 25 and plays for argyably the best team in the world, but he is an unquestionable talent and a freak athlete.

No i didn't actually get to see them play although i have a couple of games recorded that i'll definitely be having a look at now.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The Japan try has to be the one for mine, it was an absolute thing of beauty. Can't believe not one Wallaby try made it to the short list. It's not like we haven't been playing some attacking footy.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Japan try has to be the one for mine, it was an absolute thing of beauty. Can't believe not one Wallaby try made it to the short list. It's not like we haven't been playing some attacking footy.

Well, yeah, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s third leaves the first Savea one for dead. Go figure.

WR (World Rugby) have put up a vid of their BPOTY nominees:

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not one person has agreed with me on Kriel's snubbing? I would've thought he'd be 1.10 to win this award.

What's the criteria, Bennett didn't even make his debut this year.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm with you on Kriel Qwerty. I would also have him ahead of NMS as well, but not by much. But with the Southern Hemisphere dominating the RWC there is no way the RFU World Rugby were going to have the World Rugby Awards dominated by them as well.

Do they have a Rookie of the Year or is BPOTY basically it? If they don't have a Rookie of the Year then I would've thought for breakout player of the year, you would've had to have debuted that year.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)

We always get snubbed at these awards. World Rugby has a love affair with New Zealand.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I'm with you on Kriel Qwerty. I would also have him ahead of NMS as well, but not by much. But with the Southern Hemisphere dominating the RWC there is no way the RFU World Rugby were going to have the World Rugby Awards dominated by them as well.

Do they have a Rookie of the Year or is BPOTY basically it? If they don't have a Rookie of the Year then I would've thought for breakout player of the year, you would've had to have debuted that year.

If nothing else the World Cup has shown how successful a twitter vote can be for picking undeserving players for awards

Status
Not open for further replies.