• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

World Rugby Awards 2023

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
First tranche of nominees is out:

WRA_FIRST-NOMS_16x9.jpg

Other categories being awarded on Sunday, 29 October

• Vernon Pugh Award for Distinguished Service
  • International Rugby Players Special Merit Award
  • Rugby for All Award
  • World Rugby Referee Award
  • World Rugby Men’s 15s Dream Team of the Year in partnership with Capgemini
Categories awarded following the conclusion of WXV

• World Rugby Women's 15s Player of the Year in partnership with Mastercard
  • World Rugby Women’s 15s Dream Team of the Year in partnership with Capgemini
  • World Rugby Women's 15s Breakthrough Player of the Year in partnership with Tudor
  • International Rugby Players Women's Try of the Year

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Fuck it would be the icing on the cake for Foster to chalk up a WC victory and coach of the year

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ that possibility has certainly been noted esp on social media (so I'm told, I don't do SocMed myself unless you count G&GR).

It's also been noted that the AB upswing has occurred since Schmidt & Ryan were added to the coaching staff...

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just seen a presser where Foster was asked about life post-AB coach to which he replied in part "I will be coaching", the emphasis very much on "will". Watch this space, I guess.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Full list of World Rugby Awards winners

• World Rugby Men’s 15s Player of the Year in partnership with Mastercard – Ardie Savea (New Zealand)
  • World Rugby Coach of the Year – Andy Farrell (Ireland)
  • World Rugby Men’s 15s Breakthrough Player of the Year in partnership with Tudor – Mark Tele’a (New Zealand)
  • World Rugby Men’s Sevens Player of the Year in partnership with HSBC – Rodrigo Isgro (Argentina)
  • World Rugby Women’s Sevens Player of the Year in partnership with HSBC – Tyla Nathan-Wong (New Zealand)
  • World Rugby Referee Award – David McHugh (Ireland)
  • Vernon Pugh Award for Distinguished Service – George Nijaradze (Georgia)
  • Rugby for All Award – SOS Kit Aid
  • International Rugby Players Special Merit Award – John Smit (South Africa)
  • International Rugby Players Men’s Try of the Year – Duhan van der Merwe (Scotland)
  • World Rugby Hall of Fame inductees: Daniel Carter (New Zealand), Thierry Dusautoir (France), George Smith (Australia), Juan Martín Hernández (Argentina), Bryan Habana (South Africa).
For more details on the World Rugby Awards, visit www.world.rugby/awards.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
bit weird SA only got one player in the team of the year. Feel like WR (World Rugby), Dublin HQ, trying to give Ireland and France a participation award.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
bit weird SA only got one player in the team of the year. Feel like WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby), Dublin HQ, trying to give Ireland and France a participation award.
Actually think it just confirms that rugby played well is played by good team, rather than a team of good players?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
World Rugby Men’s 15s Dream Team of the Year:

1. Cyril Baille (France)
2. Dan Sheehan (Ireland)
3. Tadhg Furlong (Ireland)
4. Eben Etzebeth (South Africa)
5. Scott Barrett (New Zealand)
6. Caelan Doris (Ireland)
7. Charles Ollivon (France)
8. Ardie Savea (New Zealand)
9. Antoine Dupont (France)
10. Richie Mo’unga (New Zealand)
11. Will Jordan (New Zealand)
12. Bundee Aki (Ireland)
13. Garry Ringrose (Ireland)
14. Damian Penaud (France)
15. Thomas Ramos (France).
Actually think it just confirms that rugby played well is played by good team, rather than a team of good players?
I would have Steph du Toit in a heart beat over Caelan Doris. Doris went missing in the big games this year, Pieter was incredible. Baille missed most of the world cup, I'd take Kitshoff and Malherbe over Baille and Furlong. Argument to be made for Ringrose being quiet and Ramos too.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Paul Cully had Retallick in his team of the RWC, and it's really hard to go past him after he dominated in the final...

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
bit weird SA only got one player in the team of the year. Feel like WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby), Dublin HQ, trying to give Ireland and France a participation award.
Awards are picked by a panel of ex players aren't tehy? Not by WR (World Rugby) I don't think.

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
World Rugby Men’s 15s Dream Team of the Year:

1. Cyril Baille (France)
2. Dan Sheehan (Ireland)
3. Tadhg Furlong (Ireland)
4. Eben Etzebeth (South Africa)
5. Scott Barrett (New Zealand)
6. Caelan Doris (Ireland)
7. Charles Ollivon (France)
8. Ardie Savea (New Zealand)
9. Antoine Dupont (France)
10. Richie Mo’unga (New Zealand)
11. Will Jordan (New Zealand)
12. Bundee Aki (Ireland)
13. Garry Ringrose (Ireland)
14. Damian Penaud (France)
15. Thomas Ramos (France).

I would have Steph du Toit in a heart beat over Caelan Doris. Doris went missing in the big games this year, Pieter was incredible. Baille missed most of the world cup, I'd take Kitshoff and Malherbe over Baille and Furlong. Argument to be made for Ringrose being quiet and Ramos too.
Pretty ridiculous team, NH bias really coming in strong. Even though he was coming off the bench I was blown away by how good Kwagga Smith was. No idea how Ringrose is in the team, thought Kriel & Ioane were more impressive. Would have Levani Botia over one of the flankers also.
Pollard a bit unlucky with injuries otherwise I think he'd be there, but evidently the best 10 of the knockout stages.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Pretty ridiculous team, NH bias really coming in strong. Even though he was coming off the bench I was blown away by how good Kwagga Smith was. No idea how Ringrose is in the team, thought Kriel & Ioane were more impressive. Would have Levani Botia over one of the flankers also.
Pollard a bit unlucky with injuries otherwise I think he'd be there, but evidently the best 10 of the knockout stages.

I don't think it's unreasonable that Ireland and France dominated the team of the year. Ireland lost one game all year and France lost two.

I don't believe there's a stronger focus on RWC form than the rest of the year.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Women's 15's nominees have been announced:

WRA_WOMENS_NOMS_16x9_V3.jpg

Awards will be made at Mount Smart after the NZ v England WXV match on Saturday.