• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

World Series Rugby: Rd 3 Western Force v Rebels Saturday 9 June 08:00PM WST

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
With 8 Rebels being included in the Wallabies squad for the June Tests, it's going to be interesting to see who gets picked for the game against the WF.

Dave Wessells still has plenty of options in most positions (Jack D at Full Back ??).

16 players (Red) were in the XXIII which had the win against the Blues in Auckland.

12 remaining squad members (*) are former Western Force players.

Anaru Rangi* Hooker (Wallabies??)
Mahe Vailanu Hooker
Nathan Charles* Hooker
Sama Malolo Hooker
Ben Daley* Prop
Fereti Sa’aga Prop
Jermaine Ainsley* Prop
Laurie Weeks Prop
Pone Fa’amausil Prop
Sam Talaki Prop
Tetera Faulkner* Prop
Tom Maloney Prop
Sam Jeffries Lock
Matt Philip* Lock
Trevor Hosea Lock
Geoff Parling Lock
Lopeti Timani Lock/Loose Forward
Amanaki Mafi Loose Forward
Angus Cottrell* Loose Forward
Colby Fianga’a* Loose Forward
Esei Ha’angana Loose Forward
Richard Hardwick* Loose Forward
Robert Leota Loose Forward (INJURED)
Ross Haylett-Petty* Loose Forward
Harrison Goddard Scrum Half
Michael Ruru* Scrum Half
Jack Debeczeni Fly Half
Jack McGregor Fly Half
Taylor Adams Fly Half
Bill Meakes* Centre
Hunter Paisami Centre
Sione Tuipolutu Centre
Tom English Centre
Henry Huchison Winger
Kitione Ratu Winger
Pama Fou Winger
Semisi Tupou Winger

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
From the WF CEO
June 1, 2018

The Western Force is delighted to welcome the Melbourne Rebels to WA next week for what is sure to be another exciting World Series Rugby encounter at nib Stadium.

The Rebels’ decision to travel to Perth is one of goodwill and the result of open and encouraging dialogue between the Western Force and Melbourne Rebels boards.

Together with the Rebels, we see this match as a great opportunity to continue to grow and promote the game here in Western Australia.

The 2018 Super Rugby season has seen the Rebels close in on a club-high seven wins, and what would be a historic first finals berth. 2018 has also seen a number of former Force players – names such as Michael Ruru and Anaru Rangi – push for Wallabies selection.
In turn, we congratulate former Force players Adam Coleman and Dane Haylett-Petty on their inclusion in Michael Cheika’s national squad for the June International series against Ireland.

The Rebels visit on June 9 will also see the Western Force family and Western Australian rugby welcome former coach Dave Wessels back to Perth.
Dave has been a mentor to many players who have pulled on the Force jersey in years gone by, and we’re looking forward to the challenge that his Melbourne Rebels side poses in this match.

The Rebels will be our greatest test of the World Series Rugby campaign so far, and a challenge that I know coach Tim Sampson and captain Ian Prior can’t wait to embrace.

Both clubs are looking forward to a great exhibition of rugby in front of another large crowd at nib Stadium and we look forward to seeing you there.

Nick Marvin

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Western Force’s clash with Melbourne Rebels no grudge match, says skipper Ian Prior
Nick Taylor - The West Australian - Tuesday, 5 June 2018

Force captain Ian Prior has dismissed suggestions Saturday night’s World Series Rugby clash with Melbourne Rebels at nib Stadium is a grudge match.

Prior also said the ongoing investigation by the Australian Securities and Investment Commission, into the controversial culling of the Force from Super Rugby and survival of the Rebels would not be a distraction.

Former coach Dave Wessels moved to Melbourne with a host of players when the axe fell on Western Force last year, but Prior said revenge was not on the minds of his players.

Mining magnate Andrew Forrest launched the breakaway WSR after Force were cut and the new side has posted a 24-14 win over Fiji and 47-17 victory against Tonga.

“We’ve all moved on, a new start, a new beginning with World Series Rugby,” Prior said.
“We’ve got really good relationships with them (Rebels players) and they are still really close mates of ours.
“It’s a good opportunity to come up against a Super Rugby team and test where we’re at ... to make sure our patterns, our communication and combinations are right.
“Coming up against your best mates is like playing against your brothers, there’s always going to be a bit of intensity.”

Buoyant after a win over the Blues in Auckland, the Rebels are expected to bring a strong squad, missing only their Test players.

“That is a representation of how seriously they are taking World Series Rugby,” Prior said.

Wessels said the game would be momentous.
“It’s going to be a pretty special and probably quite emotional occasion,” he said.
“It is a pretty momentous occasion for both clubs. It’s really a sign that rugby people want to put things that have happened in the past behind us.”

https://thewest.com.au/sport/wester...ge-match-says-skipper-ian-prior-ng-b88856235z

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Id like to see preference shown to former Force players to play in this game, plus the best possible players available in other spots. 2 week break after this, so feel its a good opportunity to keep the ball rolling in terms of staying match fit and in form. Would even be cool if people not involved in Wallabies team on the weekend (eg. Naivalu, Timani) released to play this game. Fly in fly out

1 Sa'aga
2 Rangi
3 Ainsley
4 Phillip
5 RHP
6 Cottrell
7 Fainga'a
8 Leota
9 Ruru
10 Adams
11 Ratu
12 Meakes
13 Tuipulotu
14 English
15 Debreczini

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Id like to see preference shown to former Force players to play in this game, plus the best possible players available in other spots. 2 week break after this, so feel its a good opportunity to keep the ball rolling in terms of staying match fit and in form. Would even be cool if people not involved in Wallabies team on the weekend (eg. Naivalu, Timani) released to play this game. Fly in fly out

1 Sa'aga
2 Rangi
3 Ainsley
4 Phillip
5 RHP
6 Cottrell
7 Fainga'a
8 Leota
9 Ruru
10 Adams
11 Ratu
12 Meakes
13 Tuipulotu
14 English
15 Debreczini
Jefferies at lock, Goddard at 9 and give English the week off as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Jefferies at lock, Goddard at 9 and give English the week off as well.

Agree. Give English a rest, (bench maybe?), and give Hutchison a run on the wing. I'd probably also go with RHP at 6 and let Cottrell have a bludge too.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
My thinking was that there is a 2 week rest after this anyway and there is a fine line between rest and too much rest. Almost a month without playing a competitive match could lead to a lot of rustiness come the Tahs match. Plus the WA public kinda deserve to see as many front liners as possible.

Really wanna see Tuipulotu get a run, he's got future Wallaby all over him if given the right opportunities

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
I like the warm welcome - it has a good feel to it. I'm sure the folks in the west don't hold a grudge against the ex Force players. I hope both teams bring their best game and rugby can be the big winner on the day

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Rebels team some very unfamiliar faces, a few being rested. is Tuipulotu injured ? Hardwicke makes a surprise appearance.

Melbourne Rebels team vs Force on Saturday 9 June, 2018 at Perth, Australia:
1. Tom Moloney
2. Nathan Charles
3. Pone Fa’amausili
4. Sam Jeffries
5. Matt Philip
6. Ross Haylett–Petty
7. Richard Hardwick
8. Angus Cottrell
9. Harrison Goddard
10. Tayler Adams
11. Henry Hutchinson
12. Billy Meakes
13. Tom English (capt.)
14. Kiti Ratu
15. Jack Debreczeni

Reserves
16. Matt Gibbons
17. Andrew Tuala
18. Jermaine Ainsley
19. Nick Champion de Crespigny
20. Rohan O’Reagan
21. Jack Johnson
22. Michael Ruru
23. Hunter Paisami
24. Jack McGregor
Coaches: Dave Wessels and Geoff Parling

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
How good is having a game on during the June break. Really looking forward to this after the Wallabies.

Cheers Force, get to see my team more than usual, so much easier to keep engaged

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
So.the Rebels without their Wallabies? Well that’s what they are. So yeah, the Rising.
Plus a couple of forwards resting so - yeah, Rising it is then.

Anyone shed any light on any of these guys?

16. Matt Gibbons
17. Andrew Tuala
19. Nick Champion de Crespigny
20. Rohan O’Reagan
21. Jack Johnson

I occasionally stream some tunes from #21 :cool:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Assume that is Matt Gibbon. He played prop for the Country Eagles & Rams in various seasons and plays LHP for Southern Districts in the Shute Shield.

Andrew Tuala plays hooker for West Harbour. I think he played for the Rebels in the Brisbane 10s and was in the Rams side last year.

Rohan O'Regan played for Country Eagles and Sydney Uni. Backrower or lock.

Nick CdC plays for Sydney Uni and Jack Johnson plays for Randwick.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
So is Parling a future Rebels coach, makes more sense to why he came to Melbourne

Status
Not open for further replies.