• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

World Series Rugby: Rd 7 Western Force v Panasonic Wild Knights Friday 17 August at 06:30PM WST

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Evidently Robbie Deans has already placed the Western Force on notice that he's bringing his best XXXIII for the WSR match against the Western Force.

This will be the Wild Knight's last full trial game before their first game in the Top League against the Kubota Spears on 31 August.

Will be a cracker of a game..........

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Shows how much Japanese rugby must have improved, I remember only about 15 years ago them coming to Aus and playing preseason games against Logan , which was then playing in Brisbane 3rd grade!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
DkiDAvRUwAAb_AI.jpg

5 Aussies in the Wild Knights side.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Heenan, Cornelsen, Barnes, Moloney (?). Who else. I am under the impression that Millar is South African. Is this not so?

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Thanks Tim Skepper:
Panasonic Wild Knights team for Friday!
141 Japanese & 53 Australian caps in the starting XV. A further 141 caps on the bench.
15 of the 23 players are full internationals! This should be comfortably the Force's toughest non-Super Rugby opposition of the competition.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Hard to believe Berrick Barnes is only 32, he seems to've been around forever. Heenan, on the other hand, has been around forever and I'm not surprised to read he's nearly 37.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
World Series Rugby has a bright future, says former Wallaby Berrick Barnes
Nick Taylor - The West Australian - Wednesday, 15 August 2018

Former Wallaby Berrick Barnes says World Series Rugby has a bright future but is uncertain where Super Rugby lies in the sport’s landscape.

Barnes also believes Panasonic Wild Knights, his club since 2013, is keen to join an expanded WSR as mining magnate Andrew Forrest gets ready to roll out a five-year plan - starting with eight sides set to battle for a $1 million purse.

The powerful Top League side, that takes on Western Force in Friday’s WSR clash at nib Stadium, is expected to be one of two Japanese clubs to join the new competition next year.
“We’d like to be involved. There’s a lot of stuff to go before that happens, but I think everyone’s waiting to see where the cards are going to fall,” Barnes said.

“World Series Rugby is something different. There’s genuine passion in the Force people.
“They’ve obviously been kicked in the guts. Credit to Andrew Forrest and (former Force captain) Matty Hodgson and the guys who have had to do a hell of a lot of work to get it going.
“Hopefully it’s something that endures.
“It has been thoroughly entertaining. It has brought something different to the table which is great.
“Everyone has come round to the fact that the way Super Rugby is at the moment it can’t work.
“The big changes are going to have to be made.
“It’s not an easy fix, hard decisions need to be made. There are plenty of stakeholders pulling left, right and centre so it’s going to be interesting.”

The ex-Queensland and NSW back is in his last season with the club but is hoping to extend his stay.
“I’ve really enjoyed it up there so if my body is alright I’d like to keep going with it,” he said.
“Next year we are in a bit of limbo as to what the (Top league) competition is going to look like and whether we are going to be involved in World Series Rugby.
“When all that becomes clearer I’ll know what I want to do.
“I went with the intention of doing one, maybe two seasons, and I’ve stayed for six. It’s one of those places it gets under your skin.”

The Force clash is Wild Knights’ only hit-out before their season starts in two weeks.
“A lot of our blokes only got back last week from the Sunwolves and various things. We are going to be a bit raw but we’ll have a crack,” Barnes said.
“Our boys are definitely excited. I just hope our skill is up and both teams have a crack.
“I just hope both teams will go out there, play positively and give the fans something to go home with and talk about for next year.”

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Quite like the team from the Western Force.

Missing Chris Alcock - injures, and Johan Bardoul - playing in Japan.

Same back 3 who did so well against Hong Kong.

Andrew Deegan back at #10.

2018-08-15_20-25-13.jpg

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
This will be the test for WSR its about the standard too expect and pretty awesome if i do say myself..

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.