• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

World Series Rugby: Rd1 Western Force VS Fiji NIB Stadium PerthWA 06:30 PM WST

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Well here it is a new beginning for rugby in Western Australia.

After what took place in 2017 i didn't think we would have the chance to once again watch the Force.

Thanks to Andrew Forrest and Matt Hodgson rugby fans and the general public have the chance to watch the team they love. Say what you want about Twiggy and his comp but when it all went down he said he would start his own comp and here were are.

People scoffed at him and said it would never happen, that it was all about self interest, well with over 10 million being spent on year 1 alone professional rugby lives on in WA and i couldn't be happier.

It was reported over the weekend that well over 10k tickets had already been sold and they were expecting about the same in walk up purchases. Well looking at the ticket master website this morning some may be walk home before kick off as there doesn't seem to be many seats left.

http://www1.ticketmaster.com.au/wes...tid=694&tm_link=artist_msg-0_13005467FD97B8C1

Grammy award winning Australian band Wolfmother are preforming before kick off and at half time in what is hoped to be a new era of rugby in WA.

Broadcasting options will be announced in the coming days so hopefully everyone will get a chance to watch.

Get on board people its time to end the negative and rejoice in what will be a great night.

May the FORCE be with you!

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Force team to face Fiji

1. HARRY LLOYD
2. HEATH TESSMANN (VC)
3. CHRIS HEIBERG
4. FERGUS LEE-WARNER
5. JOHAN BARDOUL
6. TEVIN FERRIS
7. CHRIS ALCOCK
8. BRYNARD STANDER
9. IAN PRIOR (C)
10. ANDREW DEEGAN
11. BRAD LACEY
12. RODNEY IONA
13. MARCEL BRACHE
14. ROD DAVIES
15. PETER GRANT

16. ALIFELETI KAITU’U
17. TOM SHEMINANT
18. KIERAN LONGBOTTOM
19. LEON POWER
20. HARRISON ORR
21. RYAN LOUWRENS
22. AJ ALATIMU
23. CLAY UYEN

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Hope this goes well for them. A serious question, are they playing proper laws, or the ones that were being thrown around?

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hope this goes well for them. A serious question, are they playing proper laws, or the ones that were being thrown around?

THE CHANGES

1. The Power Try– A Power Try is awarded when the play is initiated from within the try scoring team’s own 22m area and there is no break in continuity of possession by the scoring team.
However if possession changes or a penalty is awarded, then this breaks the sequence of possession for the try scoring team and normal 5 point try is earned if they score.
Coloured lights on the goal posts will alert fans to when a Power Try is “live”, “dead” or “scored”.
The Power Try play is live: green lights will run down the post
The Power Try play is dead: the green lights turn solid red
A Power Try is scored: the green lights will flash.
A Power Try offers a team the opportunity to score 9 points on conversion.
2. Rolling Subs – teams may make up to 12 player substitutions during the game, as opposed to the current 8 substitutions.
3. One-minute scrums – One minute from time of mark to completion. This puts the onus on players to keep the scrum up and encourages quick decision making to allow play to continue.
4. Faster Line Outs – lineouts will be taken as soon as the throwing team is ready – they do not have to wait for their opponent or the referee.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Is it genuinely rolling subs - anyone can come on or off for 12 total subs?

Also what happens if the minute is up re the scrums?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is it genuinely rolling subs - anyone can come on or off for 12 total subs?

Is there a difference between the two?

It is saying you can make up to 12 substitutions during the match with your 8 bench players. I.e. an individual player could be subbed on and off multiple times up to a limit of 12 across the whole game for the team.

It will be interesting to see how teams choose to use it and what is the best outcome in terms of player output.

Do you replace your front row and half back at the half hour mark and then bring back the starters for the last 20 minutes?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Is there a difference between the two?

It is saying you can make up to 12 substitutions during the match with your 8 bench players. I.e. an individual player could be subbed on and off multiple times up to a limit of 12 across the whole game for the team.

It will be interesting to see how teams choose to use it and what is the best outcome in terms of player output.

Do you replace your front row and half back at the half hour mark and then bring back the starters for the last 20 minutes?
Nope, no difference - I guess I was asking is it remaining 23 players and you can come on and off. Not a 27 player team which you've answered

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Looking forward to seeing this. Will be great to see rugby in the West again.

I don't mind those variations - much more palatable than the ones initially flagged. Big fan of the time limit on scrums, but what happens when the minute runs out?

The rolling clock on scrum resets is a scourge, and any change to it would be much appreciated.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The rolling clock on scrum resets is a scourge, and any change to it would be much appreciated.

That to me is the biggest thing. The simplest way to deal with it would be to stop the clock for scrum resets and only restart it when the halfback is feeding the ball. Would save about 45 seconds on the clock for each scrum reset I think.

The other one would be to stop the clock for kicks at goal and at the very least conversions.

It would remove two substantial frustrations both rugby fans and critics of rugby have of the game without changing the nature of the game in any way shape or form.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
My pet gripe is the yellow card for repeated scrum infringements, when one front row, or even one front rower, is not strong enough, or tricky enough, or whatever.

It gets back to the fact that the scrum is a way of restarting play after a minor infringement, the prospect of a yellow card is not "minor".

Surely a penalty kick is enough?

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
1. The Power Try– A Power Try is awarded when the play is initiated from within the try scoring team’s own 22m area and there is no break in continuity of possession by the scoring team.

I reckon they should tweak that, so there are no rucks formed during the continuity of possession; so that the attacking team get rewarded for the standing recycle; driving on, drawing in the opposition forwards, keeping the movement advancing onwards before releasing again.

Bit of ol' time religion right there...

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The one downside I see from the power try is that the try against the run of play from an intercept or mistake in the 22 is even more of a points turnaround.

Overall neither happens very often so it's not going to have a big impact on the game but making the against the run of play try more costly is somewhat of an unintended consequence from a rule designed to promote more attacking and risky play.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Anyone have any idea how strong the Fiji side will be?

Also how do i watch it?

No idea on the strength of the Fiji team. Hopefully pretty close to the full national team if possible.

As for watching it. It will be shown on delay via Fox Sports and there is supposedly a FTA component as well. Other's mentioned that Ten has a two hour block between 8:30 - 10:30/11:00 on Friday which aligns with the 6:30 kick off in Perth. So maybe.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The Super Try could result in farcical scenes. Imagine a team is down by 8 or 9 in the final minutes of the game. The team with the lead clears their 22 with a kick, which lands around the halfway line.

The player catches the ball on the halfway, but as they are down 8 they need a Super Try to win. So wouldn't the logical play be to run towards your own tryline, and ensure you are tackled inside your own 22 so the Super Try is in play?

Status
Not open for further replies.