• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

World Test XV 2010 - Team Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
1 Guthro Steenkamp (SA)
2 Stephen Moore (Aust)
3 Owen Franks (NZ) / Martin Castrogiovanni (It)
4 Brad Thorn (NZ)
5 Nathan Sharpe (Aust)
6 Juan Smith (SA)
7 Richie McCaw (NZ)
8 Keiran Reid (NZ)
9 Ben Youngs (Eng)
10 Dan Carter (NZ)
11 Drew Mitchell (Aust)
12 Ma'a Nonu (NZ)
13 Conrad Smith (NZ)
14 Corey Jane (NZ)
15 Kurtley Beale (Aust)

The challenge now for you is to come up with a Barbarians team to play them. Normal Baabaa rules apply (you can pick non-capped players - assume all players have been released from their clubs and are fit). Give reasons for your selections (to promote some discussion :) ).

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
With Franks and Castro bracketed (votes were tied) you can select either in your time if you desire, with the other representing World XV.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
why are you loling? Smith is the best 13 in the world - and probably the best rugby brain in the world. We could do with someone of his class...

Can't beast Smith for consistency. For all the good things he does, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) still turns out some avergae performance.

Sharpe and Moore ahead of Vic and Bismarck? Come on boys. Homeboy selections rule OK?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Can't beast Smith for consistency. For all the good things he does, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) still turns out some avergae performance.

Sharpe and Moore ahead of Vic and Bismarck? Come on boys. Homeboy selections rule OK?

Bismarck missed a fair bit of play, and Victor did not have a good year by his standards. It aint on reputation. I think Mealamu is unlucky to miss out, more than Bissie.
Yeah, go to TSF - they'd have 15 ABs most likely! :) But sure, some home town picks. None are outrageous, though. Besides Pocock, the Aussies that made it are the most consistent all year for us.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think it's a fair reflection myself. As good as I think BdP is, he missed a lot of footy this year and Stephen was very good for us. Sharpe was also consistently in the two couple or so locks in the world all season. No problem with either of those selections, or Smith at OC.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Sharp had a cracker of a season and deserves his place. Moore probably a little fortunate. Smith a no brainer at 13..excellent player.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The challenge now for you is to come up with a Barbarians team to play them. Normal Baabaa rules apply (you can pick non-capped players - assume all players have been released from their clubs and are fit). Give reasons for your selections (to promote some discussion :) ).

A fun team to watch:

15 Rob Kearney
14 Hosea Gear
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12 O'Driscoll
11 JOC (James O'Connor)
10 Quade
9 Hougaard
8 Spies
7 Pocock
6 Harinordoquy
5 Lawes
4 Donncha
3 Jones
2 TPN
1 Jenkins

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
PS someone post a link to this thread on TSF.

I need a good laugh tonight :)

Not sure anyone left on THIS forum who has not been banned on the TSF.

Not sure I agree with peeps who say BdP and otheres missed too many games and therefore do not qualify, makes FAll sense?? Only takes 3 or 4 games to recognise talent...

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
We know hes got talent, its just that he played in very few test matches this year compared to some players who played around 15

Mealamu and Moore played well throughout the year and started alot more games than BDP

Same thing for FDP we know that he is the best 9, but this year he hasn't played a single test therefore he cant be considered

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Whatty, it makes sense to me. Being selected in a world XV is the recognition of sustained excellence over a season. Missing most of it rather by definition precludes some players.

Remember, it's about form, not reputation or history.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Considering this is an Australian selected version of a World XV the very fact that only 4 Wallaby players features seems to indicate a fairly honest and even handed approach to the selection process. If anything it could be accused of having a deep SH bias rather than a nationalistic focus.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
9- Fourie Du Preez
10- Quade Cooper
11- David Smith
12- James O'Connor
13- Rene Ranger
14- Chris Ashton
15- Israel Dagg

Would be an entertaining backline for a Barbarians team

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
1 Guthro Steenkamp (SA) Gethin Jenkins (WAL)
2 Stephen Moore (Aust) Kevin Mealamu (NZ)
3 Owen Franks (NZ) / Martin Castrogiovanni (It)
4 Brad Thorn (NZ)
5 Nathan Sharpe (Aust) Victor Matfield (SA)
6 Juan Smith (SA) Jerome Kaino (NZ)
7 Richie McCaw (NZ)
8 Keiran Reid (NZ)
9 Ben Youngs (Eng) Piri Weepu (NZ)
10 Dan Carter (NZ)
11 Drew Mitchell (Aust)
12 Ma'a Nonu (NZ)
13 Conrad Smith (NZ)
14 Corey Jane (NZ)
15 Kurtley Beale (Aust) Mils Muliana (NZ)

The projected TSF XV (based on current voting, which is ongoing). I have no real problem with any of the changes. There is a good argument for any of them in a World XV, and the TSF NZ bias pushes them ahead for the win on that forum. The exception though is Weepu. But that is more a case of no real standout at scrumhalf this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.