• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Worthwhile quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'll kick off:

“For that kind of money, the least [NASA] can do is discover God.” Kurt Vonnegut after the moon landing.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Hitchens:

"Beware the irrational, however seductive. Shun the 'transcendent' and all who invite you to subordinate or annihilate yourself. Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself and others. Don't be afraid to be thought arrogant or selfish. Picture all experts as if they were mammals. Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence. Suspect your own motives, and all excuses. Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you."

"Nothing optional - from homosexuality to adultery - is ever made punishable unless those who do the prohibiting (and exact the fierce punishments) have a repressed desire to participate."

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."

"The only position that leaves me with no cognitive dissonance is atheism. It is not a creed. Death is certain, replacing both the siren-song of Paradise and the dread of Hell. Life on this earth, with all its mystery and beauty and pain, is then to be lived far more intensely: we stumble and get up, we are sad, confident, insecure, feel loneliness and joy and love. There is nothing more; but I want nothing more."

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.
– Aristotle

I know a guy called Casey Stringfellow who has the following tattoo'd from his shoulders to his waist on his back in letters probably 3 cm high. It covers his whole back -

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I always look for a woman who has a tattoo. I see a woman with a tattoo, and I'm thinking, okay, here's a gal who's capable of making a decision she'll regret in the future. ~Richard Jeni

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
Also by Hitchins:
"My own view is that this planet is used as a penal colony, lunatic asylum and dumping ground by a superior civilisation, to get rid of the undesirable and the unfit. I can't prove it but you can't disprove it either."
"I became a journalist partly so that I wouldn't ever have to rely on the press for my information."

RyanP

Bob McCowan (2)
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." General Jim 'Maddog' Mattis, while holding a meeting with Iraqi tribal leaders during the advance to Baghdad.

S

spooony

1 - 2

A battle is developing between them' I say developing, because it's not yet on.
Murray Walker

And now, excuse me while I interrupt myself.
Murray Walker

And that just shows you how important the car is in Formula One Racing.
Murray Walker

Anything happens in Grand Prix racing, and it usually does.
Murray Walker

Eight minutes past the hour here in Belgium - and presumably eight minutes past the hour everywhere in the world.
Murray Walker

Either the car is stationary, or it's on the move.
Murray Walker

Even in five years time, he will still be four years younger than Damon Hill.
Murray Walker

He can't decide whether to leave his visor half open or half closed.
Murray Walker

I can't believe what's happening visually, in front of my eyes.
Murray Walker

I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong.
Murray Walker

I should imagine that the conditions in the cockpit are totally unimaginable.
Murray Walker

I'm in my usual state up here in the commentary box: high tension, heart beating like a trip hammer, whatever that is.
Murray Walker

I've no idea what Eddie Irvine's orders are, but he's following them superlatively well.
Murray Walker

IF is a very long word in Formula One; in fact, IF is F1 spelled backwards.
Murray Walker

Now he must not go the wrong way round the circuit, and unless he can spin himself stationary through 360 degrees I fail to see how he can avoid doing so.
Murray Walker

Schumacher wouldn't have let him past voluntarily. Of course he did it voluntarily, but he had to do it.
Murray Walker

That's history. I say history because it happened in the past.
Murray Walker

The lead car is unique, except for the one behind it which is identical.
Murray Walker

There are seven winners of the Monaco Grand Prix on the starting line today, and four of them are Michael Schumacher.
Murray Walker

There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.
Murray Walker

lol he was brilliant

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love, for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is perennial as the grass.
Take kindly to the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.
Max Ehrmann c.1920

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
"Internet blogs are the prized platform of an online lynch mob spouting liberty but spewing lies, libel and invective" - Daniel Lyons, Senior Editor Forbes magazine and author of The Secret Diary of Steve Jobs.

S

spooony

I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.. Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police.
Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.

bryce

Darby Loudon (17)
I read this in one of Kurt Vonnegut's books. Apparently in Chicago or somewhere, a guy was sitting in the electric chair, waiting for the executioner to flick the switch. When asked if he had anything to say, he said:

'Yes. This will certainly teach me a lesson'

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I like creating possible quotes, here's a sample of 2 from my twitter feed @greyhumour #shamelessselfpromotion

"Mother fucker you said we'd go together!" - Col Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin (possibly)

"Well I can't just call it 8 vaginas!" - Ian Fleming (possibly)

S

spooony

My God what have we done ?" — Enola Gay co-pilot's log book record

"The greatest thing about the internet, is that you can quote something and totally make up the source." - George Washington.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
After biting Sean Fitzpatrick's ear: "For an 18-month suspension, I feel I probably should have torn it off. Then at least I could say, 'Look, I've returned to South Africa with the guy's ear.'" - Johan le Roux

"I may not have been very tall or very athletic, but the one thing I did have was the most effective backside in world rugby." - Jim Glennon (1991)

"If the game is run properly as a professional game, you do not need 57 old farts running rugby." - Will Carling (1995)

On England's new rubber training suit - "As you run around Battersea Park in them, looking like a cross between a member of the SAS and Blake's Seven, there is always the lingering fear of arrest." - Brian Moore (1995)

After England had been humbled by New Zealand in the World Cup semi-final: "I don't know about us not having a Plan B when things went wrong, we looked like we didn't have a Plan A." - Geoff Cooke (1995)

On playing for Wales at Lansdowne Road, Dublin: "I didn't know what was going on at the start in the swirling wind. The flags were all pointing in different directions and I thought the Irish had starched them just to fool us." - Mike Watkins (1984)

On Wales losing 28-9 against Australia: "No leadership, no ideas. Not even enough imagination to thump someone in the line-up when the ref wasn't looking." - J.P.R. Williams (1984)

"The relationship between the Welsh and the English is based on trust and understanding. They don't trust us and we don't understand them." - Dudley Wood (1986)

"We've lost seven of our last eight matches. Only team that we've beaten was Western Samoa. Good job we didn't play the whole of Samoa." - Gareth Davies (1989)

Summing up during the "Dolphin hooks penis round man's leg" indecent sexual act court case: "Men do not greet one another like this ... except perhaps at rugby club dinners." - Alan Cooper Defence Counsel (1991)

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday." - Tom David

"Colin Meads is the kind of player you expect to see emerging from a ruck with the remains of a jockstrap between his teeth." - Tom O'Reilly

On playing his last game of rugby for Bath: "I thought I would have a quiet pint ... and about 17 noisy ones." - Gareth Chilcott (1993)

[http://wesclark.com/rrr/quotes.html]

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
From a Bank Manager who shall remain nameless :

"Look, unemployment has fallen. So there is more idiots in the workforce."

Status
Not open for further replies.