• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

WRC2011 ticket sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
So it is these gouging bunch of old farts that are to blame (thanks to Will Carling) behind the loss.

How much of this "fee" actually goes to developing the game worldwide, and how much is to pay for the lifestyle of the old farts and inefficient administration and overhead?

Would really like to see the audited annual accounts of the IRB to see where it all goes.

Have you seen how much a bottle of Hendricks gin costs? Not to mention putting a bunch of IRB lickspittles up in 5 star hotels.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
So it is these gouging bunch of old farts that are to blame (thanks to Will Carling) behind the loss.

How much of this "fee" actually goes to developing the game worldwide, and how much is to pay for the lifestyle of the old farts and inefficient administration and overhead?

Would really like to see the audited annual accounts of the IRB to see where it all goes.

That Carling quote has to be one of the choicest in sporting history I reckon.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Simple explanation - its a rip off !! Too many punters have been burned in the past and they have smartened up.

Going through a tour/packages costs a bomb. And that's with Category C seating ! Trying to organise your own tour, and lining up quality tix & accomodation in tiny, long booked out cities is a logistics excercise akin to planning the Normandy Invasion. It really is hard to extract quality from a tournament that is largely filler.

And for what ? There's little entertainment value in the World Cup - remember the up & under fest that was the 2007 RWC ? Teams get conservative and whistle blowers dominate. In NZ at that time of year there's also a good chance you'll get soaked in the freezing cold. I am not shelling out $10K to watch stodgy penalty goal exchange contests in a shitty stadium, subjected to subzero temps and torrential rain. I paid something like $1200 for 2 tickets to watch the RWC 2007 semi-final. What I thought would be an epic Australia vs NZ clash turned into a limp England vs France kicking comp. Never again.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Simple explanation - its a rip off !! Too many punters have been burned in the past and they have smartened up.

Going through a tour/packages costs a bomb. And that's with Category C seating ! Trying to organise your own tour, and lining up quality tix & accomodation in tiny, long booked out cities is a logistics excercise akin to planning the Normandy Invasion. It really is hard to extract quality from a tournament that is largely filler.

And for what ? There's little entertainment value in the World Cup - remember the up & under fest that was the 2007 RWC ? Teams get conservative and whistle blowers dominate. In NZ at that time of year there's also a good chance you'll get soaked in the freezing cold. I am not shelling out $10K to watch stodgy penalty goal exchange contests in a shitty stadium, subjected to subzero temps and torrential rain. I paid something like $1200 for 2 tickets to watch the RWC 2007 semi-final. What I thought would be an epic Australia vs NZ clash turned into a limp England vs France kicking comp. Never again.
I suspect that you're right on most of those calls, but has anyone actually attempted to look into accommodation for this world cup? If there were a decent spot 30 mins train ride from jade, that could work out pretty cost effective

If I go I'll be taking the snowboard to try and kill myself midweek..

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I suspect that you're right on most of those calls, but has anyone actually attempted to look into accommodation for this world cup? If there were a decent spot 30 mins train ride from jade, that could work out pretty cost effective

If I go I'll be taking the snowboard to try and kill myself midweek..

If I had the money, hiring a winnibago and touring NZ during the RWC world be the way to go.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Anyone get much joy from the Finals ballot this morning?

I have an offer for 2 tickets to semi-final 2, which will probably be the AB's & Springboks semi rather than landing tickets to the Wallabies semi as hoped.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
It's expensive and for Europe it's bloody far.

I can't take time off work so I am only flying into Wellington for the SA Wales match and the cost of the ticket, flight and hotel is a lot to cough up for a rugby game (best I don't think about it any more).

PS if you are looking for a hotel, shop around online. I found some of the same rooms being advertised through "official" channels for way less through the "traditional" online accomodation sites. I'm talkinga lot less so be aware.

I am not surprised they arenlt selling tickets. I just hope they are sensible and drop the prices shortly before the games so the stadiums fill up.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I Paid $375 for tickets to Aus QWales at Millenium in 07 - I thought the prices were in line with what I paid for the last RWC. (although agree it is a lot more than for regular tests)

Henry

Bill Watson (15)
Anyone get much joy from the Finals ballot this morning?

I have an offer for 2 tickets to semi-final 2, which will probably be the AB's & Springboks semi rather than landing tickets to the Wallabies semi as hoped.

Got offered 2 tickets to semi final 1. So we better top our pool and get though the quarters.... Bloody expensive though...

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I Paid $375 for tickets to Aus QWales at Millenium in 07 - I thought the prices were in line with what I paid for the last RWC. (although agree it is a lot more than for regular tests)

That's about what I paid for my Category A ticket

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I am struggling for accomodation. Everywhere is booked out, or have tied themselves to tour packages. I have found 2 places, both with a 3 night minimum. I am facing either paying for 3 nights in a backpackers, or hoping Wellington airport has a bar open all night

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I went for a twin at Dowtown Backpackers in Wellington the pool match against USA. Not expecting anything flash but it will do the job better than the airport. Looks like they are all booked up if you are going for the Quarter Final weekend though.

This website seems to throw up a few options but you might need to work out how the local bus timetable etc works for most of the places. http://www.wellingtonnz2011.com/visiting-fans/accommodation

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'd better pull my finger out and sort it then I suppose. With that said, we aren't planning on staying in Auckland itself, but rather in Tauranga with friends for the most part.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
thanks for the link Tanga - you are right, most of the available hotels are closer to Auckland than wellington. Looks like I'm paying for 3 nights at a backpackers in town as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.