• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Young propping finds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Going back through the week's games, I must say I was bloody impressed with the effort of Ben Daley up in QLD. My first instinct when the scrums packed was "he'll be thankful Mr Smit isn't a regular THP" but despite giving away a fair bit of size and experience at the coalface he did bloody well. When duPlessis came on I thought things would change, but fair play to the young bloke - he really stood up and held the other man off.

On a lesser note: young Dan Palmer at NSW also looks like he's got potential. While he was only up against Nic Henderson for most of the game I thought he did a good job - using the same route as Benn Robinson i.e. pack low and make the bastards come to you. He wasn't helped by the fact that the Brumbies were gunshy after the first hit and refused to extend on the engage, so it looked like Palmer was collapsing. But if you look at the footage, his hips and shoulders are on the same plane and Henderson is the one standing almost upright by comparison. Really impressed with his body position.

While the two blokes could do with a bit more size, it may just be that the props in Australia are headed back to where they were in the 80s and 90s: not always the biggest units, but technically difficult to shift. Rodney Blake take note - you're welcome back once you've learned something and stopped being a card-carrying member of the KFC Frequent Flyer Lounge.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Nick,

If your on propwatch, look out for James Slipper from Qld. He is the real deal but may take a few years.

S

Spook

NTA said:
He wasn't helped by the fact that the Brumbies were gunshy after the first hit and refused to extend on the engage, so it looked like Palmer was collapsing.

;D You are dreaming. He should have been sin binned such was tendency to go down :mad: ;)

I was really impressed by the Reds props against the Sharks. Benn Robinson just gets better and better.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Go see my comments in the other threads Spook - Henderson wasn't good enough to get as low as Palmer and was the cause of the collapses.

Status
Not open for further replies.