• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Your latest Music 'find'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Just interested in what people are listening to at the moment - what new album, band or singer is really getting you tapping along? Who do you think has released the best album of 2009?

I went to the Laneway festival on friday, mainly to see Florence and the Machine and Mumford and Sons. F&M were a bit disappointing live, despite her voice being sensational, but M&S were everything I expected and more. It was one of the best, most energetic and polished performances I have seen, which is especially impressive from a group so young.

They had the best release last year, IMO - 'Sigh No More'. Check it out if you haven't, but give it a few goes (at first it sounds a bit country or rock-folk - but the song writing is very good).

Others I'm listening to are - Bon Iver, Band of Skulls, Claire Bowditch, Laura Marling and Sigur Ros.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm not much of a muso, but am listening to a fair bit of Kate Miller-Heidke at the moment, and really enjoy it.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Best album of the year was definitely from the Temper Trap. Good new stuff from Muse and Phoenix as well. Jay-Z's album wasnt bad either, love Empire State of Mind. Can't say I'm a big fan of Mumford Scotty, have been incredibly surprised how big they have become playing some pretty standard tunes with a banjo thrown in.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Yeah, I reckon you either love them or hate them. I disagree they are standard tunes though. They have a lot of emotion involved - you only had to see their reaction live - best by far of all at Laneways - to know they are doing something right!

Temper Trap have been great, along with Sarah Blasko as the best Oz releases. However have to disagree about Muse - I really dislike them, and can't see why they have gotten so big doing what they do. They are so over the top it isn't funny, and his voice annoys the crap out of me.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Another one for Temper Trap here. Got their album just as Triple J started playing more of them and enjoyed it immensely, and then mainstream stations picked them up (amazed they didn't earlier). The movie 500 Days of Summer no doubt also helped by pimping Sweet Disposition.

Regarding Muse, hugely disappointed with some of their new stuff. Undisclosed Desires seriously sounds like a boy band - I can imagine N Sync singing it. No edge to it whatsoever. Muse are really struggling to evolve their sound in my book.

Also liked Children Collide's first LP, which I got at the start of 2009.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Do love Sigor Ros and anything Icelandic (Bjork, Mum, GusGus).

I generally only listen to classical and ambient electronic. Favourite classical-type album of last few years would be Kronos Quartet's Early Music. But I mostly like American minimalism such as Reich, Adams, Glass.

This year's favourite electronic act would be a band (actually, just one Swedish guy) called The Field. Extremely repetitive. Repetitive. Repetitive.

As far as pop music goes, I like to browse Hype Machine (hypem.com). I like all the radical (and illegal) edits of popular tracks. Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-H-QGAB-58

Actually, there was one pop video that caught my attention recently:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZl165WDjDA

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
did you catch Daniel Johnston at Laneway scotty? takes a bit of getting used to but he is an amazing songwriter (even though he is a terrible singer)

Mumford and Sons are amazing, disagree that they play average tunes.

saw MUSE at the BDO this year, there new stuff was amazing live, they payed a fantastic set, the new stuff is more rock opera than boy band imo though.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Tah J,

Sorry, missed Daniel Johnston. Checked out The Very Best, some of Sarah B, Florence, Mumford, The Middle East, Whitley and some of Nasa.

Favs were Mumford and the Middle East (although new stuff isn't as good).

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
waratahjesus said:

saw MUSE at the BDO this year, there new stuff was amazing live, they payed a fantastic set, the new stuff is more rock opera than boy band imo though.

Standard probably isn't the right word. They just dont appeal to me, and how 'little lion man' got to #1 in the Hottest 100 (and with the biggest margin of all time) is beyond me. But that's music I suppose- one man's treasure and all that.

Muse were awesome at BDO, their music is suited to that stadium setting. Their new stuff is hit and miss, I personally like Undisclosed Desires and am not so hot on their heavier stuff.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
barbarian said:
waratahjesus said:

Standard probably isn't the right word. They just dont appeal to me, and how 'little lion man' got to #1 in the Hottest 100 (and with the biggest margin of all time) is beyond me. But that's music I suppose- one man's treasure and all that.

Muse were awesome at BDO, their music is suited to that stadium setting. Their new stuff is hit and miss, I personally like Undisclosed Desires and am not so hot on their heavier stuff.

the big day out voting is always a bit funny though, you can pick I0 songs, i picked little lion man, but it was about pick 8 for me, so the fact that its easy to remember catchy, has a swear word in it, is a bit different to other music currently means probably alot of people picked it at some point in there multi selection. it doesnt mean everyone had it as there number one at all.

i love em, look em up on youtube live they seem amazing i was very dissapointed they are only playing the arthouse such a small venue.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Just watched M+S Little Lion Man. Fuck me that is awful. What's the matter with kids these days? If my kids brought that into the house I'd tell 'em to get out there and start daggerin.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
What's happened to Perry Como? I looked up the hit parade and couldn't find his name anywhere. :nta: :nta: :nta:

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The Field is pretty cool, cool, cool, cool....
Got a bit hypnotized listening though, might not be so good on a long car trip on your own!
As for tha daggerin', mon, that's fockd up, mon. Seriously, I'd probably finish that dance prematurely, too!

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Punk stuff for me, I liked Teenage Bottlerocket's album from last year, Nofx's "Coaster" was solid but didn't do as much for me as their live album, but "Cokie the Clown " is a rocker of a song and an EP. Rancid's "Let the Dominoes Fall" is their second best album ever.

Aside from that Lagwagon's singer Joey Cape has been releasing heaps of solo acoustic material for a while now. Check him out if you're into soulful introspective stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.