• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Your latest Music 'find'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I have no good reason to not like Fever Ray or The Knife, except that it's pop music. There's something tragic about the effort pop music goes to - like a fashion victim failing to hide their need to be liked. I like it as much as Battles - so, good pick. I don't actually own any of Battles's music, though.

Define 'pop music'.

It seems your definition is anything with lyrics is pop music, and is therefore trying to be popular. I'm sure many artists would disagree with you that they are writing their music just to be popular.

Pop music is a bad word for me as well, but I more relate it to the likes of what you would see if you turned on smash hits (or whatever it is called) on a saturday morning. You know the beyonce sort of biso.

I haven't listened to your latest yet, but I've got one more and it has no lyrics - Marconi Union?

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Mate she is butchering that.

If you want to get into the Frames, all their cds are good. However, track down the movie "Once", watch it and buy the soundtrack.

E

El Barto

Hmmm, probably not the right time to mention I like country music.......

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Cutter said:
Mate she is butchering that.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Elizabeth Fraser couldn't butcher a song if she was in the middle of an abatoir with a boning knife in each hand.

Might as well tell Jimmy Hendrix to lay off the solos.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
And Scotty, I used to love pop music in the 80s. From punk to new wave to mod to Madchester. I used to walk up to the newsagent on the day the airmail copy of the NME came out. I used to sit up until 5am watching Rage, MTV, and NightShift (!).

I just overdosed on it I suppose, and combined with my own pop band very nearly but very definitely not making it, I just chucked the toys in about 1996 and haven't played or listened to pop music since.

These days I listen to (1) brain music like Reich, Satie, Gorecki's 3rd, Eno, Classic FM breakfast with Emma Ayres, and ambient electronica off the internet; and (2) body music, like hardcore dance remixes also off the internet. Only a couple of artists manage both, like Aphex Twin.

I'll leave you with this. One of my favourite music blogs is Et Musique Pour Tous. This is their Best of 2009 Compilation, which I like, but think that you will really like. Lots of strange and intimate guitars and vocals. Hope you like it.

http://www.etmusiquepourtous.com/le-miel-du-mois/

(You can download it, or just play it by clicking on the tape - 3rd down).

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
P.S. Thanks for the Marconi Union. I like it. If you can stomach that, I would urge you to check out my favourite Aussie artist, who no-one has heard of - Kazumichi Grime. All his stuff is free.

http://www.kazumichi.com/

My other favourite electronic artists are Oval, Autechre and Microstoria, but they're all pretty glitchy.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Thanks for the link Scarfie.

On that tape are Florence and the Machine (one of the groups that I started this thread with), and I listen to some of Passion Pit, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Mike Snow, Lykke Li, Friendly Fires and La Roux. All very good stuff.

Surprised you like it though?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Well, happy to listen to it once. I love my new mp3 player, but it's a pain in the arse to fast forward, so I just loaded up the compilation and went for an hour's walk. It interested me as much as vocal/guitar music possibly could.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I've already seen them at their peak. Plus, you've got Scarfman's pre-96 / post-96 divide to factor in.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I haven't seen them and thinking of going. Haven't seen Portishead either.

Did see Lamb though - very good live.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
Scotty said:
How about Massive Attack? I see they are touring Oz in March.

Did you go? I have seen them live several times. Well worth the effort. Also saw Prodigy live at the Metro on Fat of the Land tour - awesome!

Whilst not quite "latest music find", my album of the week is Timeless: De La Soul Singles Collection. Word up!

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Big ups for the Tortoise love Scarfy, do you like Can?

Been listening to a lot of chilled out stuff of late, and this is one of my current faves.

http://www.youtube.com/v/1m2pBzdlmHw&hl=en_US&fs=1

Also saw Jane's Addiction play about a month-and-a-half ago at the Enmore, it was was probably their third last gig ever as the original line-up. Was an incredible show with one of the loudest and longest calls for a second encore ever... but they never came out again. Great live footage from Moshcam here if anyone's interested...

http://www.moshcam.com/janes-addiction/enmore-theatre-774.aspx

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Paris Tah said:
Scotty said:
How about Massive Attack? I see they are touring Oz in March.

Did you go? I have seen them live several times. Well worth the effort. Also saw Prodigy live at the Metro on Fat of the Land tour - awesome!

Whilst not quite "latest music find", my album of the week is Timeless: De La Soul Singles Collection. Word up!

No, I didn't go Paris. I have seen Prodigy though. Pretty good, although in a festival, so sound wasn't great. Also had a bit of an asthma attacking during it, which slowed me down a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.