Here’s our Aussie Super Rugby team of the week for Round 3, as chosen by the writers:
1. Benn Robinson – Seems a boot up the bum is what was needed. Back in beast mode.
2. Ged Robinson – Had a great game round the park and hit his jumpers
3. Laurie Weeks – Solid in a scrum under pressure and handy around the park
4. Hugh McMeniman – Dominant tackles, bustling runs, smashing rucks, clean line-outs. He’s back
5. Hugh Pyle – Continues to do everything well for the Rebels, stats to prove it
6. Angus Cottrell – Not just a spectacular intercept meat pie, but worked hard all game
7. Liam Gill – fantastic match. Earns GAGR Man of the Round and quite probably another award as well
8. Scott Higginbotham – Got through some work this week, best stats of the 8’s
9. Brendan McKibbin – Kicked 6 from 7 and worked hard behind the Tahs pack
10. Kurtley Beale – Got involved – ran more metres than any other Aussie player this round.
11. Drew Mitchell – Starting to see those sparks of danger of when he’s at his best
12. Ben Tapuai – Keeps putting in more than solid performances. Some great touches and breaks
13. Mitch Inman – Starting to make the impact in performances that you’d expect from his size
14. Digby Ioane – Always a threat, finished nicely
15. James O’Connor – Settled all round performance, captaincy looked good on him, boot was accurate.
Interestingly the two Aussie teams that lost this week have dominated the side. Is that because neither winning team put in a solid 80?
What’s your view, and who was your player of the week for round 3?