• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Didn’t realise we had so many saints on here who embrace the ruling of an iron fist. Anyway, I disagree with Rennie’s decision, and I guess the results will be telltale. Looking at the team, mostly the backline, I think we’re going to be a world of hurt. Not the team I was hoping that was going to be rolled out. Wanted a bit more fire power and the excitement with QC (Quade Cooper) and obviously Koreibete.
Happy to agree to disagree. But I don’t think any of us are either claiming to be Saints or suggesting this is a huge issue. I agree it’s a minor breach.

Looking forward to the game. Agree we’ll miss Koroibete. It’s near impossible to be confident going into a game v the ABs. But I am keen to see how the team goes and if they can find the right balance between tight play and attack.

McDermott & Lolesio v Smith & Mo’unga is going to be a massive test for our two. But if they want to put themselves ahead of the pack no better way than to beat the best.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Didn’t realise we had so many saints on here who embrace the ruling of an iron fist. Anyway, I disagree with Rennie’s decision, and I guess the results will be telltale. Looking at the team, mostly the backline, I think we’re going to be a world of hurt. Not the team I was hoping that was going to be rolled out. Wanted a bit more fire power and the excitement with QC (Quade Cooper) and obviously Koreibete.

QC (Quade Cooper)?

I doubt he was ever in serious consideration.........

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
Two Dads and Beale copped the same punishment in 2018 for bringing women they knew, including a relative of Two Dads, back to the hotel. At least Rennie's being consistent with the previous administration.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I just don’t think the punishment fits the “crime”

They are not being considered for selection for a single game. The punishment couldn't be any less and still be meaningful.

If they were going to be handed a monetary fine it would have needed to go through a formal disciplinary process which Rennie has said it won't be. The matter is finished.

42 players in the squad came together to have a couple of beers. That finished and everyone turned in for the night except for three players who decided they'd keep going for seemingly a substantial amount of time.

If it had been one beer for one hour I doubt this would happen. It seems very much that the squad is united which is why they have got behind making it clear that this behaviour isn't acceptable.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Reading some of the reports, the squad was not totally united, but it sounds as though the leadership group was. Do the crime, do the time. If this transgression was not given some sort of punishment, what would it take to earn some sort of punishment?

These blokes are professionals, they are paid pretty well, they have the honour of wearing their nation's colours into battle. They all understand the rules, and they all need to follow them. Skulking around and hoovering up some free grog is not the behaviour I want to see from them.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Reading some of the reports, the squad was not totally united, but it sounds as though the leadership group was. Do the crime, do the time. If this transgression was not given some sort of punishment, what would it take to earn some sort of punishment?

These blokes are professionals, they are paid pretty well, they have the honour of wearing their nation's colours into battle. They all understand the rules, and they all need to follow them. Skulking around and hoovering up some free grog is not the behaviour I want to see from them.

where are you reading reports that all the squad wasnt united ? would like to have a gander

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
where are you reading reports that all the squad wasnt united ? would like to have a gander

Sorry for the delay. In today's SMH, I will quote from an article by Tom Decent headed "Trio's drinking frustrates Hooper as Wallabies suffer Bledisloe blow": "Rennie said on Wednesday that a large part of the the squad was 'pretty angry' after being told the trio continued drinking in their rooms well after curfew following a team dinner'........"

Hope that helps.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
That doesn't suggest the squad wasn't united though....

True. But I rather think that Rennie would have said that in so many words. My guess is that the three mouseketeers would have been supported by some friends in the team, or at least not opposed by them. Group dynamics and all.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
I guess on a scale I rate the breach at 2 and probably deserved a warning. It’s the whistleblower’s antics I question, and then Rennie had to move on it. That’s where the backlash would’ve started if the media got a hold.
The player reporting this to Thomson shows that the team is not united and definitely don’t have each other’s back. That’s not a winning team IMO.

Not sure if you are fairdinkum but there is always this great Aussie tradition of not being a 'dobber'....so in this instance, the coach and management are trying to build a culture and have laid out some pretty easy rules to follow for all....3 clowns break the rules.....they are the ones that are in the wrong, not the person or persons who reported it.....it seems that often in all walks of Aussie life, the so called dobbers end up being looked at as the bad guys.....Anyway.... I think we all would probably agree that to play for the Wallabies would be bloody sensational and to get paid for it would be insane....so if there are a few rules asked by management to adhere to, most people would say absolutely......it is not 3rd grade subbies......it is representing your country.....

I always wonder when Robbie Deans had the young Cooper, O'Connor and Beale carrying on like dickheads whether he wanted to drop them, but management wouldn't allow it?........because they were 'too' good??

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
The great debate continues .. I think it’s time to pull up as everyone has had their say. The decision has been handed down and the team is what it is. The precedent has been set by RA and if anyone now steps out of line they are just dickheads and don’t deserve the jersey. Can we move on FFS.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
They’re professionals a week out from the hardest games they’ll play this year, it isn’t too much to expect a bit more discipline around alcohol consumption.