• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Colts 2021

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Hmmm, u also said Bond would beat Jeeps!, how good is Jeeps backline! Even with Harry not playing his preferred wing!.if Gary runs the line with his magic sponge they can’t lose.
Not sure about any magic sponge, and I think you may have meant to say that I predicted Bond would beat Easts (not Jeeps)

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
Well, I was pleasantly surprised to see the underdog GPS get up over Easts. I really thought that the Tigers didn't illustrate as much potency in their semi final win as Jeeps and that proved to be the case yesterday in the GF. Interestingly, the Tigers conceded the most points in a game (34) for their season after a very strong defensive year. The Gallopers scored a combined 100 points in the last 3 games of the year so their attack clicked at the right time. In the end, a yellow card and defensive lapses really cost Easts on the biggest day of the year.

Kirk was a standout at 9 and has a bright future. He nearly beat GPS on his own.

GPS did not have a bad player, so wouldn't be fair to highlight one. The 10, Bas Ward, got a deserved MoM after a try and a try assist. He got space because of great service from CCJ and their forward pack just took it to Easts in the second half and proved too mobile.

At the start of the year, I said Easts, Brothers and Uni would be favourites for the Colts 2021 premiership. Not sure what happened to Uni with all their quality players but to miss the 4 must be graded as a fail. I am sure Norths and maybe Wests will be up there next year.

Congrats to the teams in Colts 2 and 3 that shared premierships. Well done QPR for getting the finals series staged.

Ruck n Maul

Herbert Moran (7)
Really proud of our boys yesterday, I'll admit I was a bit worried leading in that perhaps they'd played their grand final v Brothers given how well they played, but they showed a lot of poise to come away with that win. I'm looking forward to seeing these boys graduate in grade next year. Both teams mostly 20 year olds, so it makes for an exciting 2022 to see which teams step up, the formula of having older teams seems to be a successful one as Brothers showed last year.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Credit to Easts though. They really played as a unit this year - which is why they had the success they had.

Jeeps opened up a can of whup ass early in what looked like it might blow out, but beware the wounded Tiger …..they really tightened the game up and slowed it down and dictated a tempo that suited them.

Well done to both teams and congratulations on successful seasons.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
So turns out the early crow of 10 points was fair

Have to say that, in hindsight, the Jeeps (and Easts) Colts have made you look like a rugby savant DM.

Just don't let it go to your head....

I thought that both of the 9's were fantastic - hard to split them - but Bas definitely won the battle of the 10's.

The work rate of the Jeeps pack was great, particularly in the second half, special mention to Ben Byrne who made a big impact after replacing Baker at halftime.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
Yes, reviewing the stats for the year and Easts were the dominant team in the home & away having the superior for and against the other top 6 teams (GPS, Brothers, Bond, Wests and UQ).

* They won 9 out of 10 with one loss to Bond
* They scored 235 to 138

* GPS scored 212 to 184 (with one last round game v Brothers not played) against the top teams
* GPS had 5 wins, 3 losses, a draw and a DNP

But it is all elementary now.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
So I am guessing Jeeps, Norths and Bonds Coaches will be back on board in 2022

Anyone associated with Brothers or Easts in the know ? Wests ? Are they all bringing their Bands back together ?

Poor old Sunnybank......they really seem to have gone off a cliff and there doesn't seem to be much to look forward to.

Souths had next to no relevance this year....

I would suggest Clubs that are intent on recruiting through October and November would surely have to know who they intend their Coaches to be

Ruck n Maul

Herbert Moran (7)
So I am guessing Jeeps, Norths and Bonds Coaches will be back on board in 2022

Anyone associated with Brothers or Easts in the know ? Wests ? Are they all bringing their Bands back together ?

Poor old Sunnybank..they really seem to have gone off a cliff and there doesn't seem to be much to look forward to.

Souths had next to no relevance this year..

I would suggest Clubs that are intent on recruiting through October and November would surely have to know who they intend their Coaches to be
Sunnybank have just announced Brendan Underwood as their Colts 1 Head Coach. Undies is a great bloke and a passionate club man who was a great 9 for Sunnybank in the early 2000s. I'm not sure how he goes recruiting, but I do wish him well.

Easts Colts coach is also the rugby manager at Easts so I imagine he will continue, although I'm sure he's got his eye on Ben Mowen's job at some point.

Quite interested to see what happens with UQ and Wests coaching staff.

I've heard around the traps a few coaches looking to jump on some bandwagons of colts programs who seem to be on the up, a number of clubs have recently put EOI's out for coaches. The coaching merry-go round at Colts and 1st Grade level is always an interesting watch.

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Sunnybank have just announced Brendan Underwood as their Colts 1 Head Coach. Undies is a great bloke and a passionate club man who was a great 9 for Sunnybank in the early 2000s. I'm not sure how he goes recruiting, but I do wish him well.

Easts Colts coach is also the rugby manager at Easts so I imagine he will continue, although I'm sure he's got his eye on Ben Mowen's job at some point.

Quite interested to see what happens with UQ and Wests coaching staff.

I've heard around the traps a few coaches looking to jump on some bandwagons of colts programs who seem to be on the up, a number of clubs have recently put EOI's out for coaches. The coaching merry-go round at Colts and 1st Grade level is always an interesting watch.
If Colts programs are on the up why would they want to be changing Coaches?

About the only Colts program on the “up” would be Norths and I can’t see the lads getting a kick in the pants and imagine they will be back.

UQ under performed (significantly in 1’s at least with 2’s sharing a premiership and 3’s getting knocked in the Prelim Final) and this in itself tells a story.

I know I might be risking my Savant status (although this might be a good thing ) but the prelude to that story might be that UQ win the 1’s next year with some of the best players in their position in the Comp. Look out for this year's 3’s loose head Carl Hansen combining with returning 1's tight head Harry Swane and combo front rower, Will Hay. You still have Prems Prop back up , Lachie Pheely as eligible and Jake Tierney as eligible. Then you have 1's / 2's locks Will Robinson and Hugo Perceval and 2's lock / loose Michael Van Der Schyff (who should have been 1's this year) with 2's Jonathan Burnett also in the loose. You still have George Gibson and Sam Kelly Knowles as eligible in the loose. Then in the backs you have the 2's Ben McMahon (who also hands down should have been first winger picked in 1's this year) and Pat Elekana is still eligible although with Ripley at the Rebels you might see Elekana (if he's back) competing for a spot upstream. Then there are 3 or so others who got spot op's in 1's that ended up being the backbone of the 2's back line this year who will back next year as 20 year olds with a predominate 20 year old pack with a couple of 19 year olds. Hansen and McMahon both have Prem capacity the season after next - and the others possibly in time noting that there is a stack of back row depth but more limited lock depth upstream at UQ. Might have something to do with the fact that most locks think they are a 6/8. About the only pack that will seriously challenge UQ next year (and I don't think they will have the class or depth) - is Brothers. I can't see anyone else getting close.

It might be fair to say Wests under performed all the way through as did Souths.

But Jeeps , Easts , Brothers and Bond are already “up”

Brendan Underwood is a good move for the Bank. God knows it needs the energy in the re-boot.

So yeah it would be logical to flick the switch at UQ and at least consider it at Wests and Souths.

Last edited:

Gidgee

Bob McCowan (2)
Any thoughts on a Colts team of the season?
A few of these boys for sure, money well spent it seems!Old Boys Scholarship
The GPS Old Boys Rugby Scholarship was introduced in 2021 and is designed to support outstanding new and continuing 18 to 20-year-old male and female players who have demonstrated exceptional ability in rugby to combine a trade/tertiary education with high-performance sport. This scholarship is awarded based on the yearly available funding from donors. Amounts are awarded in consideration of the athlete’s highest level of sports achievement. This Scholarship has a one-year term and is open to new and continuing players.

2021 Recipients.
Floyd Aubrey
Nick Baker
Harry Barker
Benedict Byrne
Benjamin Geraghty
Lachlan Howse
Tevita Kaituu
Campbell Moller

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
Any thoughts on a Colts team of the season?
1. John Downes (GPS)
2. Sam Finocchiarro (Easts)
3. Peter Halipo (GPS)
4. Cooper Bridgman (Brothers)
5. Charlie Scott (Easts)
6. Nick Baker (GPS)
7. Ben Geraghty (GPS)
8. Marlon Jones (Bond)
9. Louis Werchon ( Brothers)
10. Bas Ward (GPS)
11. Ethyn Martin (Bond)
12. Francis Pona (Easts)
13. Campbell Moller (GPS)
14. Harry Barker (GPS)
15. Floyd Aubrey (GPS)

16. Tyrone Albertyn (Bond)
17. James Durheim ( Easts)
18. Josh Mongard (Norths)
19. Ethan Lucey (GPS)
20. Ben Byrne (GPS)
21. Will Kirk (Easts)
22. Harry Grant (Brothers)
23. Mone Maafu (Souths)

Last edited:

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
1. Lachlan Pheely
2. Tevita Kaitu’u
3. Peter Halipo
4. Charlie Scott
5. Marlon Jones
6. Ben Geraghty
7. Sam Kelly-Knowles
8. Ben Byrne
9. Will Kirk
10. Bas Ward
11. Ethyn Martin
12. Francis Pona
13. Campbell Moller
14. Harry Barker
15. Floyd Aubrey

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
I would imagine that just about all of them will be playing grade next year as most are 20 this year. Most have already had a taste.

Such a pity the URC cannot be played this year as the Colts crop of U18s/19s would produce quality Brisbane City and QLD Country teams. But that isn't going to happen.

Ruck n Maul

Herbert Moran (7)
I would imagine that just about all of them will be playing grade next year as most are 20 this year. Most have already had a taste.

Such a pity the URC cannot be played this year as the Colts crop of U18s/19s would produce quality Brisbane City and QLD Country teams. But that isn't going to happen.
I believe there is a 3 way series of games between two QLD u19 teams and a QLD country team that will see each team play 2 games, a couple of GPS lads have been selected, I'm not sure of the teams though. I imagine this is to help with future Aus 20s squad selections, should the tournament get going again next year.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
If Colts programs are on the up why would they want to be changing Coaches?

About the only Colts program on the “up” would be Norths and I can’t see the lads getting a kick in the pants and imagine they will be back.

UQ under performed (significantly in 1’s at least with 2’s sharing a premiership and 3’s getting knocked in the Prelim Final) and this in itself tells a story.

I know I might be risking my Savant status (although this might be a good thing ) but the prelude to that story might be that UQ win the 1’s next year with some of the best players in their position in the Comp. Look out for this year's 3’s loose head Carl Hansen combining with returning 1's tight head Harry Swane and combo front rower, Will Hay. You still have Prems Prop back up , Lachie Pheely as eligible and Jake Tierney as eligible. Then you have 1's / 2's locks Will Robinson and Hugo Perceval and 2's lock / loose Michael Van Der Schyff (who should have been 1's this year) with 2's Jonathan Burnett also in the loose. You still have George Gibson and Sam Kelly Knowles as eligible in the loose. Then in the backs you have the 2's Ben McMahon (who also hands down should have been first winger picked in 1's this year) and Pat Elekana is still eligible although with Ripley at the Rebels you might see Elekana (if he's back) competing for a spot upstream. Then there are 3 or so others who got spot op's in 1's that ended up being the backbone of the 2's back line this year who will back next year as 20 year olds with a predominate 20 year old pack with a couple of 19 year olds. Hansen and McMahon both have Prem capacity the season after next - and the others possibly in time noting that there is a stack of back row depth but more limited lock depth upstream at UQ. Might have something to do with the fact that most locks think they are a 6/8. About the only pack that will seriously challenge UQ next year (and I don't think they will have the class or depth) - is Brothers. I can't see anyone else getting close.

It might be fair to say Wests under performed all the way through as did Souths.

But Jeeps , Easts , Brothers and Bond are already “up”

Brendan Underwood is a good move for the Bank. God knows it needs the energy in the re-boot.

So yeah it would be logical to flick the switch at UQ and at least consider it at Wests and Souths.
Norths will have most of their young pack back in 22, and with the experience of this year, will be primed.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
1631258286515.png

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
This squad was named 18 weeks ago, so they should be well prepared for the city slickers if they have managed to have some training sessions.