• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

half

Alan Cameron (40)
The 263K is an OK figure. Sorta depends on what you expect.

For the most part the 263K was withing 50% of the AFL & NRL final series. We are in a rebuilding phase.

From last week, all in metro only

Midweek

Socceroos V Vietnam [10:30 start] == 140K

Friday

AFL == 644K
League == 519 K

Saturday

AFL == 533 K & 409K [two games]
League == 515 K & 453 K [two games]

Sunday

League == 517 K

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The 263K is an OK figure. Sorta depends on what you expect.

For the most part the 263K was withing 50% of the AFL & NRL final series. We are in a rebuilding phase.

From last week, all in metro only

Midweek

Socceroos V Vietnam [10:30 start] == 140K

Friday

AFL == 644K
League == 519 K

Saturday

AFL == 533 K & 409K [two games]
League == 515 K & 453 K [two games]

Sunday

League == 517 K
Yeh good point - forgetting of course in AFL and NRL final series....so not a bad result considering that

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Yeh good point - forgetting of course in AFL and NRL final series..so not a bad result considering that
Its way way way better than most give credit for especially for our broadcasters.

Consider, the AFL & NRL media deals .

The AFL has 198 competition games + finals so lets say 210 games, The AFL gets 480 million or 2.25 million per game

League has 192 competition games, plus finals, say 202, + SOO 3, + tests say 4, so say 210 games or 1.90million per game.

We get 30 million, for say 10 tests, plus ???? on Super Rugby but lets say 150 games or 200K per game.

If you then expand on the cost per view we are good for Nine / Stand / Fairfax, which is why we need to press another point in not being scared to develop a national competition as the pay per view is way way way way in our favour.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Wallaby vs France 1st Test
Metro GEM: 323,000
Metro + Regional: 429,000
Stan: 200,000
Total: 629,000

Wallaby vs France 2nd Test
Metro GEM: 326,000
Metro + Regional: TBC
Stan: TBC
Total: TBC

Wallabies vs France 3rd Test
Metro Nine: 496,000
Metro + Regional: 691,000

Bledislow Cup Game 1
Metro Nine: 304,000
Metro + Regional: 395,000

Bledisloe Cup Game 3
Metro Nine: 281,000

Wallabies vs Sprinboks
Metro Nine: 263,000
Just looking at these, why do they use different figures? Some have Metro9, metro gem regional ,Stan . Then we have Metro 9 only.
Wallabies France they have a total of 629, but none of others have, first Bled looks the best even without Stan (or did noone watch it in Stan? I must admit seems crazy that they don't just put out a standard set of figures.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
They dont use different figures, they’re just not always readily available and i dont go looking for them. If you have spare time then feel free to dig them up.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
They dont use different figures, they’re just not always readily available and i dont go looking for them. If you have spare time then feel free to dig them up.
Na mate, I wouldn't even know where to look if I wanted to, I try to get my head around these figures, but just quite work out how they work if they don't get released the same way on same website or wherever. Hell I wouldn't even have a clue if they have or where to look in NZ ratings :D I know useless old b*****d aren't I ? :mad: I was only glancing throgh this thread because I even quieter than usual today.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Wallaby vs France 1st Test
Metro GEM: 323,000
Metro + Regional: 429,000
Stan: 200,000
Total: 629,000

Wallaby vs France 2nd Test
Metro GEM: 326,000
Metro + Regional: TBC

Wallabies vs France 3rd Test
Metro Nine: 496,000
Metro + Regional: 691,000

Bledisloe Cup Game 1
Metro GEM: 304,000
Metro + Regional: 395,000

Bledisloe Cup Game 3
Metro GEM: 281,000

Wallabies vs Sprinboks Game 1
Metro GEM: 263,000

Wallabies vs Sprinboks Game 2
Metro GEM: 336,000
Metro + Regional: 464,000

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Interesting info from Fairfax today on a blind auction for the EPL rights.

Fairfax provided a break down of the reach of the various streaming services.

According to a survey conducted by Gemba on the streaming market in Australia conducted shortly after Paramount+ launched in Australia on August 11,

Paramount + just four per cent of households have access to the service,
Stan Sport (seven per cent),
Amazon (24 per cent),
Optus (10 per cent),
Kayo Sports (14 per cent)
and Netflix (66 per cent).

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)

According to a survey conducted by Gemba on the streaming market in Australia conducted shortly after Paramount+ launched in Australia on August 11,

Amazon (24 per cent),
Optus (10 per cent),
Netflix are slowly losing their market share around the globe. Their back catalogue is being decimated by studios taking back their own properties.

They've got enough dosh to make some big plays though and their original programming isn't great, I wonder how long they'll persist with that. I'm surprised they haven't moved into the sports space yet, but plenty of time to do so.

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
Saw the English Premiership advertised during game on weekend on Stan and just checked. Games are there. This is very cool, looking forward to watching some replays!

Rob42

John Solomon (38)

Amazon (24 per cent),
Optus (10 per cent),
Amazing that a four-way battle for the EPL rights does not include Foxtel/Kayo. Seems like Fox is happy to just cash in on NRL and AFL, and leave everything else to others now.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Amazing that a four-way battle for the EPL rights does not include Foxtel/Kayo. Seems like Fox is happy to just cash in on NRL and AFL, and leave everything else to others now.

They need to pick their battles these days.

In the past sports like NBA and NFL probably didn't garner much of a price tag here in Australia and they grabbed them on the cheap to pad out their offerings. Now if they want to secure those contracts, they need to have a little warchest ready. On top of the hot commodities of NRL and AFL. Too hard to service them all.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
They need to pick their battles these days.

In the past sports like NBA and NFL probably didn't garner much of a price tag here in Australia and they grabbed them on the cheap to pad out their offerings. Now if they want to secure those contracts, they need to have a little warchest ready. On top of the hot commodities of NRL and AFL. Too hard to service them all.
I don't miss the coverage but i do kind of miss the convenience of having everything i want in one service (i.e. fox)

There are so many now... and many more on the way. And each one has one thing everyone wants to watch as their main draw, meaning no single service offers a decent variety of content.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I don't miss the coverage but i do kind of miss the convenience of having everything i want in one service (i.e. fox)

There are so many now... and many more on the way. And each one has one thing everyone wants to watch as their main draw, meaning no single service offers a decent variety of content.
Yes - that's also the issue for Stan buying more rugby content: will they pull more subscribers by showing French rugby, 6 Nations, even MLR, etc? Or do they get essentially 100% of rugby fans with SRAU/TT/P and Rugby Championship? No commercial benefit to paying more money for more competitions of no more subscribers. I suppose they do want to make it attractive 12 mo a year for rugby subscribers, otherwise I'll be cancelling it once TRC finishes.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)

I think there will be some amalgamation interfaces coming to things like Apple TV, Chromecast etc. in the near future. You'll still have to have all the subscriptions but that should help the visibility.