• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TRC2021 - Wallabies v Boks @ Suncorp 18/09

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Must make “an attempt to wrap the arms”
This tackle from farrel was not punished on field and then deemed ok by the citing commissioner as he had “made an attempt to wrap an arm”
Looks pretty similar to me.
As usual consistency would be nice.

9B707CB8-55E7-4DFB-A0D2-4608A5CF21D6.jpeg

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Must make “an attempt to wrap the arms”
This tackle from farrel was not punished on field and then deemed ok by the citing commissioner as he had “made an attempt to wrap an arm”
Looks pretty similar to me.
As usual consistency would be nice.

View attachment 12650
The Laws may have changed since the Farrell farce but making an attempt to wrap can be seen as a mitigating factor not a deciding one. A shoulder charge is a shoulder charge.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
May be an image of one or more people and people standing

Mostert being pretty grubby for a flanker tackling at 60%.
Given that Hooper comprehensively outplayed him Mosert probably thought he’d better do as much as he could while he had Hooper nearby.

Actually - did Mosert do anything else all game???

I’m kinda hoping that Hooper was saying to him ‘Franco - I didn’t realise you were playing today’.

I haven’t had the good fortune to watch Hooper live many times. He is even more impressive live when you watch him off the ball. Despite playing over 100 tests, I actually don’t think he has ever played better and I can’t help but think that it is probably close the the first time since the Tahs won that he has been part of a properly balanced back row. Swinton & Valetini both have plenty of improvement in them but the three of them compliment each other very well. Swinton does need to address his technique though. There will often be mitigating factors, but Swinton’s technique always leaves him too close to the threshold and he needs to address it.

On Valetini - I imagine the Wallabies coaching staff would still like more from him, but some of his involvements last night were superb. He is a bit like Ikitau for me in that he is growing into the role nicely.

Last edited:

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Oh sorry - I though we were talking about the arm that actually matters.
They both matter. The point was that a still pic of one arm not wrapping doesn't tell the full story. For clarity I was OK with it being a yellow, but there were mitigating factors that rightly prevented it being a red.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Nah they haven’t actually.
I’m seeing a pattern here in your responses across multiple threads.
Time to disengage.
I don’t give a fuck if you disengage. I read the actual Laws and wrapping arms is only mentioned in the mitigating factors.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
They both matter. The point was that a still pic of one arm not wrapping doesn't tell the full story. For clarity I was OK with it being a yellow, but there were mitigating factors that rightly prevented it being a red.
No they don’t. Not in the Laws. Listening to the TMO and the ref last night, they seemed to be talking about when the head contact and shoulder contact happened. That seemed to be the mitigating factor in downgrading from res to yellow.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
No they don’t. Not in the Laws. Listening to the TMO and the ref last night, they seemed to be talking about when the head contact and shoulder contact happened. That seemed to be the mitigating factor in downgrading from res to yellow.
They didn’t even view a shot of the left arm by my recollection. Amateur hour.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It does matter in terms of being a mitigating factor because it shows he was trying to wrap his arms. It’s academic anyway but it would have been important in the defence if it was a red.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'd say definitely........

Both Wilson and Valetini seem capable in the lineout, but Swinton and Samu are very good jumpers at the front.
I'd agree Swinton has shown himself to be very good at the front. Better than Wilson? Hard to say as he has not been playing recently in Tests. Maybe, maybe not. Swinton has other issues though as we saw last night, but I would give him some positive points for lineout work.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Given that Hooper comprehensively outplayed him Mosert probably thought he’d better do as much as he could while he had Hooper nearby.

Actually - did Mosert do anything else all game???

I’m kinda hoping that Hooper was saying to him ‘Franco - I didn’t realise you were playing today’.

I haven’t had the good fortune to watch Hooper live many times. He is even more impressive live when you watch him off the ball. Despite playing over 100 tests, I actually don’t think he has ever played better and I can’t help but think that it is probably close the the first time since the Tahs won that he has been part of a properly balanced back row.
With PSDT's injury, Curry's dip in form it really does feel like Hooper is the best 7 in the world right now and that the rest of the world is slowly agreeing with us. Hopefully he can have a few other Aussies join him in the World XV. You'd think after Tupou's performance last night, setting up two tries against the best defence in the word, that he'd be high on people's list.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
With PSDT's injury, Curry's dip in form it really does feel like Hooper is the best 7 in the world right now and that the rest of the world is slowly agreeing with us. Hopefully he can have a few other Aussies join him in the World XV. You'd think after Tupou's performance last night, setting up two tries against the best defence in the word, that he'd be high on people's list.
PSDT is a blindside, SAF and ARG have the flankers numbers the other way around, Kolisi is the open side. But yes, I think Hooper would make a World XV. Koroibete is the other that probably would right now too. That’s 2, we need 3 more according to Bob.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
It does matter in terms of being a mitigating factor because it shows he was trying to wrap his arms. It’s academic anyway but it would have been important in the defence if it was a red.
I personally think it was a yellow which should have been mitigated to a penalty only according to the laws of the game (either due to low degree of danger, or attempt to wrap as a mitigating factor as per framework)

Yellow card offence
  • Shoulder charge to the body (no head or neck contact), with high degree of danger

Mitigation to penalty

• Any yellow card offence where mitigation is applied (as per framework)
  • Shoulder charge to the body (no head or neck contact), with low degree of danger

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
It's the exact reason Koro's red against the French was reversed in the tribunal hearing.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
A lot of Springbok stars faded in the past 8 days. Am & De Allende are meant to be the toughest centres in the business. Pollard the most composed 10. Le Roux looks well passed it.

Admittedly Faf hasn’t looked amazing since 2019.
I’m now very curious to see how Aus go against the NH.
They looked tired and almost disinterested.

Not taking anything away from the Wallabies. Smart rugby thoroughly deserved to beat dumb rugby. Been saying this all along: hold your own physically against the Boks and get ahead on the score. We have no plan B to start scoring out of structured play. We score tries with brute force or on the counter.

Early in his career, Pollar was a wonderful running 10. Strong, takes on the line, great passing both ways, great offloads. Looks like it has been coached out of him.

The last 20 minutes with Finn Russel at 10 against the Lions showed that had the Lions played more adventurous rugby, I reckon they would have won 3 zip.

The Boks have been worked out. Rennie saw what the Lions did that worked. Smart man. We have great players. Rassie needs to hit reset and we need to play more positive rugby.