• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TRC2021 - Wallabies v Boks @ Suncorp 18/09

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Re. the eye-gouge.

I'm not convinced he was intentionally trying to stick his fingers into Cooper's eyes, but those things tend to happen when you swipe at a prone players face with fingers outstretched, behind play.
Do you think he was trying to make contact with his head?

I think it was intentional at his eyes but can't prove it, contact to head can be proved and he should have been dealt with

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Absolutely, I'm being a bit sarcastic. Kind of like the chat around Swinton: you're not going to get carded for high tackles if you improve your technique and stop tackling at/around the head.

You do't get accused of eye gouging when you don't swipe at a player's face with open extended fingers.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Like, I don't wanna gloat but Handré isn't helping his case here:
Springboks No.10 Handre Pollard has suggested a ‘street smart’ Wallabies team were guilty of illegal off-the-ball tactics that weren’t picked up by referees in Saturday’s match at Suncorp Stadium.

I'd suggest to him that getting wrecked in three missed tackles leading to two tries is an area he should focus on more before accusing us of dodgy tactics. Very in line with Rassie's latest tantrums. I'd be disappointed if a Wallaby bitched like this post-loss.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

I'd suggest to him that getting wrecked in three missed tackles leading to two tries is an area he should focus on more before accusing us of dodgy tactics. Very in line with Rassie's latest tantrums. I'd be disappointed if a Wallaby bitched like this post-loss.

Certainly not in the post-Cheika years.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
Springboks No.10 Handre Pollard has suggested a ‘street smart’ Wallabies team were guilty of illegal off-the-ball tactics that weren’t picked up by referees in Saturday’s match at Suncorp Stadium.
Maybe we have learnt something from the All Blacks

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah it's a bit pathetic, really. "We wouldn't dare stoop to that level, but they did and it worked for them so well done, I suppose".

Whatever, champion. Would love to know which of these fiendish tactics forced you to miss a series of one-on-one tackles in your own 22.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

An interesting point made on twitter was that this potentially isn't really about the Wallabies and is just using it to draw attention to the issue overall in light of them playing the All Blacks this week.

What the Springboks really want to achieve is a focus on off the ball stuff by the All Blacks.

It's speculation but it makes a reasonable amount of sense.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
An interesting point made on twitter was that this potentially isn't really about the Wallabies and is just using it to draw attention to the issue overall in light of them playing the All Blacks this week.

What the Springboks really want to achieve is a focus on off the ball stuff by the All Blacks.

It's speculation but it makes a reasonable amount of sense.
They probably need to worry more about those one on one tackles; I reckon the ABs might give them a few opportunities to make them. Or not.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They probably need to worry more about those one on one tackles; I reckon the ABs might give them a few opportunities to make them. Or not.

The list of things they need to worry about is a mile long.

On the showings of the last two weeks they're going to get pumped.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Anyway back to the putative eye gouging, I suspect he was just attempting to give Quade a high five

images(2).jpg

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Complaints about the ref always happen. The Wallabies had a similar little moan about the ref after the first game at Eden Park this year. I'm sure the ABs have done it as well.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Now that the forum is upgraded and we can post tweets again, let's put this here in all it's glory.

What a moment!

Best bit is seeing gold jerseys in support. Tupou draw and pass, still 2 guys there to take another offload or recycle.

That has become noticeable the last 2 games where it wasn't really great against the ABs.

Clearly Rennie is lulling them into a false sense of security...

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah it's a bit pathetic, really. "We wouldn't dare stoop to that level, but they did and it worked for them so well done, I suppose".

Whatever, champion. Would love to know which of these fiendish tactics forced you to miss a series of one-on-one tackles in your own 22.

I had full intentions of backing anyone playing the ABs. That position is getting harder.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
It's the inconsistency mate.

FWIW - looks like Swinton really dodged a bullet: https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/guidelines/21

Seems pretty straightforward. Initial head to head contact & a lack of control without mitigation is a red card. Very lucky the initial contact was shoulder.
Yeah it was very lucky the contact was shoulder first. But it was - so the correct call was an entry level of yellow. Low degree of danger and mitigating factors so there’s a very strong argument it could have been reduced to a penalty. But it wasn’t and we won so time to move on I guess.
Still not sure which framework they applied as he said no arms tackle - so did they apply the tackle framework or the shoulder charge framework.
Not sure if you saw this link I posted in the refereeing thread but it’s a pretty good walk through the process and the starting point is important.

Also there’s some convenient photos being posted from the reverse angle several frames after the contact with the right arm behind the body but it was definitely forward of the body at contact. Seen this a few times on social media.
Remarkably similar body positions but I guess the ball carrier has all the rights.
Wonder if the judiciary will release its findings - they do review all yellow cards right?

BBE70305-C230-4973-B15A-2D135E60B419.jpeg

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Second time Swinton has been carded at test level though trying to tackle someone from the kick-off like that though? Didn't he get carded for similar last year?
The guy has a technique issue, regardless of whether it was worse then it looked or not.