• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
And really, are they Australian? I want guys who want to pull on the Wallaby jersey, not end up like the Socceroos who pluck qualified blokes from anywhere to play for a country they have virtually no relationship with.
I understand what you are saying - but Tupou is just one example of a guy who didn’t move here until his late teens. He is certainly passionate about the jersey.

There is no need for us to go completely mercenary - but Michael Lynagh has said for years his kids have a strong bond with their Australian heritage.

I’m not advocating for picking Louis given that he has never played rugby here, but IF Tom measures up then I would be very happy to see him progress to Wallaby ranks.

Last edited:

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I wonder how much being able to play for the Wallabies changes the contract value of Kerevi and McMahon, not including Cooper as he has been eligible to play under existing rules.

Prior to now, those guys signing in Japan forfeited their ability to play for the Wobs so it was a moot point. Now the rules are changing, suddenly these Japanese rosters have young current Wallabies in their squads. Could be interesting negotiations coming up, I wonder how deep the pockets are.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
The australia has Hodge at 15, no other back changes

Mcmahon as a chance in for Swinton

Wider squad members like Mcreight (7), Pone (18), Wright & Muirhead (11/14) to maybe get a chance in G2 v Pumas or v Japan.

I can see Koroibete, Hoops, Tupou and a couple others getting a rest for the 2nd pumas game (depending on this weekends result) or more liely Japan. Freshen up for the NH tour.

For example, Ala'alatoa would be back and ready for Japan, and Tupou could have a rest with big Pone recovered from injury and ready for a run off the bench.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
For example, Ala'alatoa would be back and ready for Japan, and Tupou could have a rest with big Pone recovered from injury and ready for a run off the bench.
My understanding is Ala'alatoa won't rejoin the squad this year, so I'm not sure Tupou will be getting a rest.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Paternity leave (I'm guessing). I'm not sure it's not something I've seen specifically stated, just my reading of the articles, maybe there was something around his 50th cap being his final test for the year? I certainly don't think he'll rejoin for the Argentina games.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If AAA has gone back to Canberra which is in COVID lockdown he won't be able to go back to Queensland for these two tests.

Who knows about the EOYT but certainly with with his first child at home he is probably quite keen to be there for it.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Paternity leave (I'm guessing). I'm not sure it's not something I've seen specifically stated, just my reading of the articles, maybe there was something around his 50th cap being his final test for the year? I certainly don't think he'll rejoin for the Argentina games.
Obviously not for the RC but thought a chance for EOYT. But if he would rather look after his baby instead of bail on his family for a 5-7 week overseas tour plus quarantine upon arrival back home, thennnnnnnn i spose you can't hold it against him. I wonder if the other new babydads (paisami & LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)) will take the same position.

runningrugbyrules

Chris McKivat (8)
Burke was a 15, born and bred. He had all the skills, including kicking out of hand and for goal. Nobody was talking about making him into a 15, he was one. One of the very best. Would he have excelled in today's game? Given the obsession with the use of the high ball, maybe not.
Agree, He’d be even more important in today’s game the way they tend to kick away possession, at least 70% of All Black tries the past decade cone from counter attacks. Having someone like Burke to start counter attacks or at least take safe options would be invaluable.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Wallabies reportedly going to invite a few European based players into the squad during the Spring Tour, in part due to the COVID travel burden and squad size

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I’d guess Arnold and Latu, maybe Skelton? I’d like to see Philip, Swain and Rodda get plenty of time in Europe to develop further.
Hope Uelese is recalled. Not that excited about FF (Folau Fainga'a) and Kaitu’u.
On an upward trajectory though. Great to see. Rennie really putting it together well.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I’d guess Arnold and Latu, maybe Skelton? I’d like to see Philip, Swain and Rodda get plenty of time in Europe to develop further.
Hope Uelese is recalled. Not that excited about FF (Folau Fainga'a) and Kaitu’u.
On an upward trajectory though. Great to see. Rennie really putting it together well.
I'm gonna keep bleating about Beale. We've been crying out for a 15.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hodge was good in the areas where Banks is not strong. He has good vision and can break the line, coming in at opportune times. He also has a very accurate boot.
Petaia is my horse in that race.