• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Argentina Sat 2 October CBus Stadium

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Did he actually throw one that went to ground? I can't remember.

I only remember three of his carries. First, successful offload post contact to his outside man. Second, he did very well near the line from a cross field kick (i think?) and got very harshly pinged for crawling. Final one was a fairly unremarkable carry where he was pretty strong in contact and possession was recycled.

There was also the midfield kick which nearly got charged down which probably wasn't the best choice but wasn't terrible either.

Strong in defence as usual.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Is it really that surprising for a guy who hasn’t played more than 20 minutes coming off the bench and whose probably not renowned for his endurance, to start cramping in the 60th minute?

It’s not ideal but it’s something very easily solved by electrolytes, conditioning and more importantly more game time.
Maybe being renowned for endurance issues suggest he should not be a starter.

I am intrigued as to why the Wallabies coaching staff and medical staff had not considered they he was so underdone. As you explained, it just simple stuff. Odd.

Are you also suggestion the extra fitness regime that Rennie has employed is still no up to standard? We don't seem to have encountered these issue with other Wallabies players coming in to the team or starting with minimal game time.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Maybe being renowned for endurance issues suggest he should not be a starter.

I am intrigued as to why the Wallabies coaching staff and medical had not considered they he was so under one. As you explained, it just simple stuff. Odd.

Are you also suggestion the extra fitness regime that Rennie has employed is still no up to standard? We don't seem to have encountered these issue with other Wallabies players coming in to the team or starting with minimal game time.
He should probably be fitter- I’m not arguing with that. At the same time I don’t think it’s that mind blowing that the bloke is cramping (I’m not throwing out bizarre claims of peptides either btw).

How much Super Rugby did he play this year? He definitely doesn’t have the base that other players do- training and conditioning can never fully replicate real match conditions.

If he’s cramping in the 60th minute in two matches time then it might be something to worry about.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Did he actually throw one that went to ground? I can't remember.

I only remember three of his carries. First, successful offload post contact to his outside man. Second, he did very well near the line from a cross field kick (i think?) and got very harshly pinged for crawling. Final one was a fairly unremarkable carry where he was pretty strong in contact and possession was recycled.

There was also the midfield kick which nearly got charged down which probably wasn't the best choice but wasn't terrible either.

Strong in defence as usual.
Yeah, don’t recall one going to ground. There’s a a lot of latent hatred for anything that half looks like a flick pass. Offloads out the back of the hand in contact are all coached and are a skill expected of all players from props to wingers. It’s how you beat sliding defences, you get on the outside shoulder, take contact and offload it from your free hand thereby taking the defender out of the game.

Re cramping, what was the temperature and humidity at the game last night? Hardly the sort of conditions likely to be seen on the EOYT.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
his kick was terrible. If he has been working on it as a pathway to playing fullback he has a lot more work ahead of him. otherwise I thought he was ok last night

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I can recall one offload that didn’t connect because a puma defender got in the way.
We actually scored off the next scrum.

Will be good to test the scrum out up north, we did really well against the Boks who did a demolition job on NZ.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I am intrigued as to why the Wallabies coaching staff and medical staff had not considered they he was so underdone. As you explained, it just simple stuff. Odd.

Or you know, if could be as simple as, that knee jarr/knock he had in the first half caused his body to over compensate in other areas as he favoured the other knee.

Resulting in more muscular fatigue ultimately turning into cramps.

Or maybe he didn't have his gel at the half time break so he's glycogen levels were depleted and his muscles failed. Or commonly known in cycling as "bonking".

But yeah, has to be drugs.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Or you know, if could be as simple as, that knee jarr/knock he had in the first half caused his body to over compensate in other areas as he favoured the other knee.

Resulting in more muscular fatigue ultimately turning into cramps.

Or maybe he didn't have his gel at the half time break so he's glycogen levels were depleted and his muscles failed. Or commonly known in cycling as "bonking".

But yeah, has to be drugs.

With you. What utter drivel from some GGGR-ers who should do better. By a BIG margin.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Hey, I'll stick up for mst. This site was built on wild, baseless allegations and I can't in good conscience stand by while a poster is attacked for such behaviour.

Just thought I'd lock in this silly contribution. Well done.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Hey, I'll stick up for mst. This site was built on wild, baseless allegations and I can't in good conscience stand by while a poster is attacked for such behaviour.
Mate - Phil Waugh was definitely a knuckle dragging Orc. Just because you continue to deny it doesn’t make it either wild or baseless.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
It’s like he still suffers from schoolboy hero syndrome- he feels like he has to do something spectacular with each touch.
According the internet Petaia didn’t play rugby until he went to Brisbane Boys High, was a league player before and I imagine up until he sign with the Reds was heavily involved in League as well as Union.
Petaia has the issues that you see in league kids that turn up at rugby schools there judgement is terrible. Their athleticism is outstanding but their judgement is shocking, they get away with it at schoolboy level at a professional level athleticism is better across the entirety of the team and they get found out. They bring league judgement and strategy to Union that just doesn’t work.
In league your backs generally only get heavily involved in the game when deep in the oppositions 20 and late in the tackle account. Throw a risky off load or low percentage pass what does it matter it’s tackle 5 you hand the ball over on tackle 6. It’s not like kicking for territory is an option and the rules have negated the effectiveness of the bomb in league.
To me that is the essence of Petaia’s issue great athlete, in the simple world of league a good player but somewhat short of the necessary smarts when it comes to rugby.
Kellaway is nowhere near the athlete that Petaia is, however Kellaways rugby smarts are a long long way ahead of Petaia’s at present.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
According the internet Petaia didn’t play rugby until he went to Brisbane Boys High, was a league player before and I imagine up until he sign with the Reds was heavily involved in League as well as Union.
Petaia has the issues that you see in league kids that turn up at rugby schools there judgement is terrible. Their athleticism is outstanding but their judgement is shocking, they get away with it at schoolboy level at a professional level athleticism is better across the entirety of the team and they get found out. They bring league judgement and strategy to Union that just doesn’t work.
In league your backs generally only get heavily involved in the game when deep in the oppositions 20 and late in the tackle account. Throw a risky off load or low percentage pass what does it matter it’s tackle 5 you hand the ball over on tackle 6. It’s not like kicking for territory is an option and the rules have negated the effectiveness of the bomb in league.
To me that is the essence of Petaia’s issue great athlete, in the simple world of league a good player but somewhat short of the necessary smarts when it comes to rugby.
Kellaway is nowhere near the athlete that Petaia is, however Kellaways rugby smarts are a long long way ahead of Petaia’s at present.
People are really starting to roll some horse shit out now