• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Northern Tours 2021 - NZ, SA, etc

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Samoa have cancelled their Northern Tour due to Covid-related travel issues.

Main casualty is the Baabaas match at Twickers but a Samoa XV made up of UK- & Euro-based players may step in.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Shame for Samoa, their team needs all the gametime they can get, and no doubt there was some money for them in it too!

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Does that mean they're not playing that BaaBaas team with Quade?
Not according to Quade:

I note Samoa isn’t on their red list? Why can’t they go?
The big issue is Samoan based players returning to Samoa afterwards:
“Lakapi Samoa was not able to guarantee the safety of any of our players and management whilst on campaign and the current state of emergency measures by the government restricts the return of anyone within six months of contacting the virus,” Lakapi Samoa CEO Faleomavaega Vincent Fepuleai said in a statement.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Confirming AB squad:

Forwards: Asafo Aumua, Dane Coles, Samisoni Taukei'aho, Codie Taylor, George Bower, Ethan de Groot, Nepo Laulala, Tyrel Lomax, Joe Moody, Angus Ta'avao, Karl Tu'inukuafe, Ofa Tuungafasi, Josh Lord, Brodie Retallick, Tupou Vaa'i, Sam Whitelock, Ethan Blackadder, Sam Cane, Shannon Frizell, Akira Ioane, Luke Jacobson, Dalton Papalii, Ardie Savea, Hoskins Sotutu

Backs: Finlay Christie, TJ Perenara, Brad Weber, Beauden Barrett, Richie Mo'unga, Braydon Ennor, David Havili, Rieko Ioane, Anton Lienert-Brown, Quinn Tupaea, Jordie Barrett, George Bridge, Will Jordan, Damian McKenzie, Sevu Reece

Itinerary:

Sun 24/10 v USA 10am NZDT
Sun 31/10 v Wales 5:15am
Sat 6/11 v Italy KO TBC
Sun 14/11 v Ireland 4:15am
Sat 20/11 v France KO TBC

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
SA may also cancel

TLDR: UK regs would require them to quarantine for 10 days so potentially a no waiver no tour situation.
Can understand their concerns. Must be getting pretty tough on some of the boys from all over the world going through continual quarantine (while I understand why etc).

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ yeah but the Wales match is outside the Window therefore NZR will do quite well out of the expected 70K attendance plus of course the tv rights. USA I believe is also a nice little earner for them. Ringinland can wait until the Nigels get their heads out've their arses & come up with a proper revenue sharing arrangement. Until then, fuck 'em.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
^ yeah but the Wales match is outside the Window therefore NZR will do quite well out of the expected 70K attendance plus of course the tv rights. USA I believe is also a nice little earner for them. Ringinland can wait until the Nigels get their heads out've their arses & come up with a proper revenue sharing arrangement. Until then, fuck 'em.
Ironically we have seen similar in the press over here around the RA - NZRU getting the TT etc sorted out. Seems to ne a common theme here.

Even funnier is that the NZRU revenue pigs have met their northern twin. I love that its never about the sport, always the $$$ and what's best for "me" when it comes to the RFU and NZRU.

Yes the US will be kinder it a novelty show and where the Kiwi sponsor dollars come from; and potential home of their new masters. ;)

Reactions: dru

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
IMG_1120.JPG

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Can understand their concerns. Must be getting pretty tough on some of the boys from all over the world going through continual quarantine (while I understand why etc).
South Africa is off their red zone list as from 11 October 2021. This will make traveling so much easier. We also have our vaccine e certification system going from Friday. Takes a few minutes to get it. Look like crowds will also be allowed soon.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
South Africa is off their red zone list as from 11 October 2021. This will make traveling so much easier. We also have our vaccine e certification system going from Friday. Takes a few minutes to get it. Look like crowds will also be allowed soon.
Good news for the country PB!!!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Frans Malherbe definitely, Nicolaas Janse van Rensberg & RG Snyman likely to be unavailable due to injury: