• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2023 Qualifying & Miscellany

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Samoa's place confirmed by their 2-0 result v Tonga who now play Cook Islands, winner of that (which really should be Tonga by plenty, depleted as they are) takes on an Asian team, likely to be either Hong Kong or Korea (don't think that's been determined yet) for one of the last remaining places.

Last edited:

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
^ so have Canada fallen off the proverbial cliff or have Chile improved beyond all recognition? Or a little of both?

Canada has never really moved on from their nadir during the days of amateurism and continued to insist on keeping a distinct BC focus despite the vast bulk of the game being situated elsewhere. Ontario for example would have an equivalent scene these days to that of BC heyday but RC still insists on Victoria operating as their centre of the universe. They've also put a lot of emphasis on 7s. Which hasn't seen the returns warranting the investment. What's most discouraging is that Rugby actually has a fairly solid presence at the HS level. But there's a huge fall away between that and the club scene. Mismanagement has had a pretty big role in that apparently.

Chile on the other hand has improved pretty significantly. They've had the numbers to be the 'other' Sth American nation for some time but lacked the leadership and structure to leverage it. That's changed in regards to the former which has helped the latter. If they continue down this track they'll be challenging Uruguay as SA 2 pretty soon.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
That current Uruguay side are very good though, especially for such a tiny country where soccer is a religion (they also punch well above their weight there too).

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
That current Uruguay side are very good though, especially for such a tiny country where soccer is a religion (they also punch well above their weight there too).
Not discounting Los Teros. They are a very solid outfit. Them getting one over the Eagles isn't all that surprising. They have good grassroots rugby backing a well established HP program. They will in time have two SLAR franchises which will help them continue to improve. The only real impediments for the future is Rugby being a more middle to upper class sport in the country (though they are trying to break out of that somewhat) and a relatively small population base.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
The only real impediments for the future is Rugby being a more middle to upper class sport in the country (though they are trying to break out of that somewhat) and a relatively small population base.
Pretty much the same story as the other Mercosur countries.

And like the Argies, they eat a shitload of beef.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Spain guaranteed to qualify as Europe 2 (Georgia already confirmed as Europe 1):

Drawn in Pool B with SA, Ireland, Scotland & Asia/ Pacific 1.

From all reports it was a heck of a game. Can't wait to get home to watch it.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
From all reports it was a heck of a game. Can't wait to get home to watch it.

I watched most of it, was a pretty exciting game, though it always felt to me like Spain were the better team.

I think they should give a good account of themselves at the world cup. Couldn't be in a worse pool though! Probably no realistic chance of a win given Asia/Pacific 1 is almost certainly going to be Tonga strengthened with a fair few former Wallabies and All Blacks. But I think their games will be good to watch.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I watched most of it, was a pretty exciting game, though it always felt to me like Spain were the better team.

I think they should give a good account of themselves at the world cup. Couldn't be in a worse pool though! Probably no realistic chance of a win given Asia/Pacific 1 is almost certainly going to be Tonga strengthened with a fair few former Wallabies and All Blacks. But I think their games will be good to watch.

Spain are the more rounded team. Which is why it felt like they were the better team. They have a very solid backline that can score tries backed by a forward pack that isn't afraid to slog it out if necessary. Portugal on the other hand have a very good backline that overshadowed the pack in terms of gameplay.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Spain are the more rounded team. Which is why it felt like they were the better team. They have a very solid backline that can score tries backed by a forward pack that isn't afraid to slog it out if necessary. Portugal on the other hand have a very good backline that overshadowed the pack in terms of gameplay.

Thoughts on Romania v Netherlands this weekend?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Thoughts on Romania v Netherlands this weekend?

More of the same unfortunately for the Dutch. Another tough day at the office. If they keep the margin under 40 they'll be doing well. It's been a learning experience for them this year. They'll be better for it next season. Which thanks to the current situation is guaranteed to see them stay in the REC. They would be well served reaching out to the 50 odd eligible guys they've got running around in mostly the ProD2 to see if they're interested.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Spain guaranteed to qualify as Europe 2 (Georgia already confirmed as Europe 1):

Drawn in Pool B with SA, Ireland, Scotland & Asia/ Pacific 1.

Or may be disqualified again for a breach of the eligibility regs;

If Spain are disqualified Romania qualify in their place & Portugal go to the repackage.