• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2022

Super Rugby 2022

• Go Blues

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Go cantabs

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go other NZ team.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go Force

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • Go Tahs

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • Go Brumbies

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go Reds

Votes: 30 31.9%
  • Go Rebs

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • Go new PI teams

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go any team that plays the cantabs

Votes: 12 12.8%

• Total voters

dru

Tim Horan (67)
For now, I'm unconvinced that the Reds are entitled to that preseason bragging rights #2 position. You can see the Red reps at the WBs consistently dropping through the international season.

Of course Thorn could be the glue that turns them back where they finished. For now though, I'm unconvinced.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
For now, I'm unconvinced that the Reds are entitled to that preseason bragging rights #2 position. You can see the Red reps at the WBs consistently dropping through the international season.

Of course Thorn could be the glue that turns them back where they finished. For now though, I'm unconvinced.

my point was though dru I feel the gap to me looks like could widen between brumbies and reds for reasons you allude to. Or to be more blunt I am really only confident in brumbies having the squad quality to match and test the kiwi sides. Reds to be the beneficiaries of having final 8 series but not convinced at this point they will do much better against the kiwi sides.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
my point was though dru I feel the gap to me looks like could widen between brumbies and reds for reasons you allude to. Or to be more blunt I am really only confident in brumbies having the squad quality to match and test the kiwi sides. Reds to be the beneficiaries of having final 8 series but not convinced at this point they will do much better against the kiwi sides.

Clear headed assessment I think is with you, RN. But I'm hoping Thorn to prove me wrong. Won't be the first time, lol.

In the mean time keep an eye out for how things go in WA. They are on a projection and long may it continue. Rebels aren't re-building as such. More consolidating. Hoping that goes well.

Waratahs? Last season was eminently predictable. This season less so. But we put a lot of faith in unproven talent and unproven coach. I'm hoping this works well too.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
So given most oz super rugby squads pretty much close to being finalised time for some thoughts on what their prospects look like.

For me brumbies look to have strongest squad as awesome forwards that has players like swain and Rory Scott who will only improve. But backs to me bolstered with cfs and Jesse mogg adding depth quality. Brumbies will make the finals (lol with 8 teams in finals this is not exactly brave prediction) but could actually go further.

Reds should be second best oz super rugby and yeah keeping most of their squad hopefully should see some improvements. Yeah will make the finals but not sure they will go further. Needs some other of their young players to step up further.

The force, rebels and tahs can’t see making the finals. I don’t think force squad as strong as last years as weak in centres and fullback options. Tahs should improve but best ambition is mid table. Rebels not sure will do much more then they did this year.

With 8 team finals I actually think out of these 3 tahs actually as my outside smokie to make the finals (ie get in final 8) outside the sure things of the reds and brumbies.
I would actually not be surprised to see Force in finals, they were I thought looking a pretty reasonable side this year, and I actually see 3 Aus sides making finals, though a lot will depend how coaches prioritise games.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I would actually not be surprised to see Force in finals, they were I thought looking a pretty reasonable side this year, and I actually see 3 Aus sides making finals, though a lot will depend how coaches prioritise games.
Can’t see the force personally…as lacking depth in a few key positions to my mind and not quite enough star power cf to other teams. Given Holmes 38 they need another prop to stand up given Robertson and medrano good but not much else behind them. Backrow ok but not as good as say brumbies and reds backrow. 9 and 10 a concern, centre’s a concern and full back concern. Nope I can’t see Force making the finals with their current squad for next year.

I think Dan you are forgetting they lost some very good players which at this stage not replaced like with like. Ie cubelli, miotti, TK and Kearney.

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

It's an 8 team finals series i would fucken hope that 3 aussie teams make it...

If Australian teams cant make the finals ahead of 2 brand new teams than we're in more trouble then we thought.

In either case, this 'competition'...it's an oxymoron calling it that... will have 5 kiwi teams at the top, and a bunch of disillusioned Australian fans increasingly tuning out with their teams down the bottom...

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
7 Kiwi teams.
1 Blues
2 Cantabs
3 Landers
4 Chiefs
5 Canes
6 South Auckland Counties Moanaanukau XV
7 North Auckland Taniwha Hemp Growers Association Collective XV

360_F_104663972_xWp77QZhLYhrS3YiaYCIg3lec9h3eG6S.jpg

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I am not as convinced as to the depth of the Brumbies. I think there are concerns in the backrow and centres. If their first stringers can stay together, then great. But if injuries happen I reckon its a concern. Jesse Mogg and Rodney Ione are fantastic signings in my eye.

As for the Reds, the usual questions come at flyhalf with JOC (James O'Connor) proving an injury concern. By extension, what happens in the centres will be one of the big questions of the season. How they shuffle Petaia, Paisami, Stewart, Henry into a worthy combination is the challenge. Likewise the combo in the locks while depth at hooker remains a big concern.

Reactions: dru

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Anyone who thinks the Reds will regress is delusional.

They've lost really only two players in Hegarty and BPA who were regular features in the 23.

Majority of the players are on the right side of 25, JOC (James O'Connor) has been a worry but touch wood is on the mend now and will find some form on the Spring Tour which should set him up nicely for 2022.

A few Reds guys being sent back for pre-season isn't a bad thing. Vunivalu has the potential to be best attacking player in Australia, the Reds were picking some great plays for him specifically when he was fit.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Can’t see the force personally…as lacking depth in a few key positions to my mind and not quite enough star power cf to other teams. Given Holmes 38 they need another prop to stand up given Robertson and medrano good but not much else behind them. Backrow ok but not as good as say brumbies and reds backrow. 9 and 10 a concern, centre’s a concern and full back concern. Nope I can’t see Force making the finals with their current squad for next year.

I think Dan you are forgetting they lost some very good players which at this stage not replaced like with like. Ie cubelli, miotti, TK and Kearney.
Fair enough RN, I must admit I was not aware of who Force had lost and was more going on how they were going earlier this year, I liked their style of play, and I do think Ozich is a bloody good coach!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
1 Blues
2 Cantabs
3 Landers
4 Chiefs
5 Canes
6 South Auckland Counties Moanaanukau XV
7 North Auckland Taniwha Hemp Growers Association Collective XV

360_F_104663972_xWp77QZhLYhrS3YiaYCIg3lec9h3eG6S.jpg
Well aprart from from hemp grower's team you got similar with MP (Moana Pasifika)! A few of the Hemp growers like it down in Dunners!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It's an 8 team finals series i would fucken hope that 3 aussie teams make it...

If Australian teams cant make the finals ahead of 2 brand new teams than we're in more trouble then we thought.

In either case, this 'competition'...it's an oxymoron calling it that... will have 5 kiwi teams at the top, and a bunch of disillusioned Australian fans increasingly tuning out with their teams down the bottom...
I think you may be disappointed. As I reckon brumbies can challenge to be in best of the best, but reckon reds will challenge to even beat 5th best kiwi side. I just can’t see reds, rebels and tahs making too 8 personally. But on tahs I certainly expect them to be more competitive this year and hence can’t expect too much short term.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Fair enough RN, I must admit I was not aware of who Force had lost and was more going on how they were going earlier this year, I liked their style of play, and I do think Ozich is a bloody good coach!
At least force putting long term foundations in place with major investments in their academy program, but yeh this season can’t see major improvement on last year with the squad given players lost vs players gained. To exceed my expectations outlined here going to have to see a few improve dramatically. Possible in one to two seasons but may be expecting too much to happen this season.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I think you may be disappointed. As I reckon brumbies can challenge to be in best of the best, but reckon reds will challenge to even beat 5th best kiwi side. I just can’t see reds, rebels and tahs making too 8 personally. But on tahs I certainly expect them to be more competitive this year and hence can’t expect too much short term.
What is it that makes you think the Reds will do worse than they did this year?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Why do you expect the Tahs to be more competitive? Outside Hooper, Bell and Swinton they still have the roster of an NPC side

dru

Tim Horan (67)

RN there are 8 in the finals. There are only 5 Kiwi teams. Unless you are suggesting that both new PI teams will outperform 4 Aussie teams there has to be more than Brumbies in the finals.

Whether they approach from the bottom or top half of the 8 is a different matter.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
RN, my loyalty says the Brumbies to be the top Aussie team, but won't be surprised if the Reds finish as our best.

Perhaps there's so little between them that injuries will be the deciding factor.

I don't know how strong either of the Drua or MP (Moana Pasifika) will be, but I suspect at least in the first year they will finish closer to the bottom than the top.

SRTT this year left me wholly disconnected. I didn't care much about the TT ladder and even now I wouldn't be certain about which NZ side won in the end. Can't forget, though, that the Crusaders didn't. I hope the 2022 edition injects a whole lot more excitement than this year's effort did. But I will most certainly be following the progress of each of the Aussie teams and how they're going against the other Aussie sides. I want an Aussie Champion, but not sure we'll see that as an outcome next year because there won't be a full home and away comp.