• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2022

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
To make my previous post a bit clearer - I did not rate Foley as a great flyhalf, I feel he had a great running game but was limited in most other areas. He needed Beale inside him to make things happen, much like Noah may need Simone next to him.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Careful Seb. I made the observation that Noah was a similiar style player to Foley about 12 months ago and one of your fellow Brumbies supporters didn’t take too kindly to it at all.

My view is that he’s progressing nicely. He’s still young but he’s been pretty good to date. He was found short against the ABs, but that’s hardly a hanging offence. He didn’t have the luxury of Kerevi outside him and Ikitau was/is still finding his feet (although progressing very well). He doesn’t play like Quade, but he is comparable to JOC (James O'Connor) and I certainly don’t have much concerns about how he is going.

He may or may not go on to play lots of tests for Australia - I think either Gordon or Harrison could well jump him in the pecking order, but at Super level he has been very good and he has a good partnership with Simone.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Careful Seb. I made the observation that Noah was a similiar style player to Foley about 12 months ago and one of your fellow Brumbies supporters didn’t take too kindly to it at all.

I have heard this comment a few times now and to be honest it confuses me. From my POV Folley was a set piece guy. Some coaches loved it but it didn't involve a lot of creativity or nous (outside the plan). A ball distributor not a game player. Lolo isn't that. He very much is onto what is in front of him and tries to create constantly. Development would have him finding opportunity for players around him more than simply finding opportunity (fingers crossed support is on his wave length). He throws the cut out because, well he can and something may be happening wide. He has exactly the sort of natural gifts I'd be looking for to develop a top class modern 10.

He got thrust into the limelight when we were thin. No need to throw the baby out with the bath water, he has class to be mined.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I don’t think you need to be creative to play whats in front of you. Both Foley and Lolesio play relatively direct. Cooper is more of a game manager. I agree Lolesio is tracking fine. I just don’t think he’s ever going to be a game manager the way some 10s are.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
.Always had a soft spot for him, I hope he goes well and has an injury free season, on his day he’s pretty damaging. Would’ve liked him at the Rebels.
I would have liked cfs at the tahs as I am a fan - injury always blighted his progress and yeh on his day he is a talent and joy to watch. Great signing for brumbies but reckon more a chance of starting gig at tahs

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
It's slightly outrageous that you guys even have luxury of considering Lolesio, Hogg or CFS playing off the bench.

At the 'tahs, we have to toss up whether our best starting outside back is Ramm, Newsome or Donaldson.
It's worse when you think two of CFS Mogg Kata Murihead Wright might miss the 23..

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
At the 'tahs, we have to toss up whether our best starting outside back is Ramm, Newsome or Donaldson.
Donaldson has something about him to suggest he can move upward. I'd reckon potentially an inside back, i.e.10.

Reactions: mst

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don’t think you need to be creative to play whats in front of you. Both Foley and Lolesio play relatively direct. Cooper is more of a game manager. I agree Lolesio is tracking fine. I just don’t think he’s ever going to be a game manager the way some 10s are.

Cooper is certainly a game manager, something that has developed like a fine wine with experience and time. It does however sit over top of outrageous natural skill.

Lolo also has, I think, that natural skill. Give it time to ferment into the game manager with time and experience. Something that a decent coaching should be able to develop (and so often don't in Aus.)

FWIW I don't think that Foley had anything like the skill base that Cooper did (and Lolo does).

TSR - I'm not sure we are describing similar things with different language or genuinely have different views. I won't keep pushing it but it does baffle me to hear Lolo mentioned with Foley.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think it’s a bit from column A and a bit from column B Dru.

I certainly agree with underlying point that Lolesio is doing fine and will get better with age.

Even my comment about other young guys possibly overtaking him - that may or may not happen. Lolesio has already won a test series v the French, won MOM in a winning Super Rugby team and has 2 years exposure inside the Wallabies set up and has been evidently given a number of specific things to work on by Rennie & the staff. As Morgan Turinui would say, that is a priceless body of work that the other guys just don’t have.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think it’s a bit from column A and a bit from column B Dru.

I certainly agree with underlying point that Lolesio is doing fine and will get better with age.

Even my comment about other young guys possibly overtaking him - that may or may not happen. Lolesio has already won a test series v the French, won MOM in a winning Super Rugby team and has 2 years exposure inside the Wallabies set up and has been evidently given a number of specific things to work on by Rennie & the staff. As Morgan Turinui would say, that is a priceless body of work that the other guys just don’t have.

I can only think that others who might overtake Lolesio is a fabulous thing. Wish them the best too.

Reactions: TSR

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

My view is that he’s progressing nicely. He’s still young but he’s been pretty good to date. He was found short against the ABs, but that’s hardly a hanging offence. He didn’t have the luxury of Kerevi outside him and Ikitau was/is still finding his feet (although progressing very well). He doesn’t play like Quade, but he is comparable to JOC (James O'Connor) and I certainly don’t have much concerns about how he is going.

He may or may not go on to play lots of tests for Australia - I think either Gordon or Harrison could well jump him in the pecking order, but at Super level he has been very good and he has a good partnership with Simone.
He doesn't really remind me much of Foley outside his popgun boot. Foley had a brillo running game and, when he was in a bit of form, had a much better eye for a pass.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Foley's greatest attribute was his ability to take the ball to the line and threaten through short-passing or running himself - at his best he was a pretty handy Super and Test player.

There are similarities between the two (Lolesio is definitely closer to Foley than to Quade) and let's hope Lolesio can develop his game management and pass selection but he hasn't yet defined himself to the extent Foley did in 2013/14.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Foley's greatest attribute was his ability to take the ball to the line and threaten through short-passing or running himself - at his best he was a pretty handy Super and Test player.

There are similarities between the two (Lolesio is definitely closer to Foley than to Quade) and let's hope Lolesio can develop his game management and pass selection but he hasn't yet defined himself to the extent Foley did in 2013/14.
There is nothing wrong with a 10 that facilitates the players around him and underplays his role (actually what cooper does today)

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

yeah I think that’s why Foley excelled at 7s as well when he was in it, he could run or pass if required. Lolesio doesn’t have the physique to challenge the line yet, and his passing game/decision making isn’t enough to just sit back and control the game.