• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Japan, Oita - 23 October, 3:45pm AEDT

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Rennie's sure got a hard-on for rotating hookers. Is that 6 different hookers in one season (soon to be 7)? Honestly it's getting a bit annoying / concerning. He doesn't seem overly confident in any of our options, other than maybe Fainga'a. I presume BDA is only out of the squad for personal reasons?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Rennie's sure got a hard-on for rotating hookers. Is that 6 different hookers in one season (soon to be 7)? Honestly it's getting a bit annoying / concerning. He doesn't seem overly confident in any of our options, other than maybe Fainga'a. I presume BDA is only out of the squad for personal reasons?

It's a position with no clear standouts so it's not surprising really.

Who's the seven? Isn't it just BPA, Fainga'a, Uelese, Lonergan, Kaitu'u and now McInerney?

I believe BPA was granted a release because he's going to France but is still in Brisbane because there has been a delay getting his visa sorted.

Clawhammer

Herbert Moran (7)
I have faith in McInerney, I always felt he should be first choice at the Brumbies (with Longeran to be developed over time). He's solid all round and throws straight.
He's not particularly exciting, but set piece is strong and I can't recall him fucking anything up - which is a trait often missing from Wallaby 2s.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

Who's the seven? Isn't it just BPA, Fainga'a, Uelese, Lonergan, Kaitu'u and now McInerney?

I believe BPA was granted a release because he's going to France but is still in Brisbane because there has been a delay getting his visa sorted.
I guess Latu will be 7

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
FF (Folau Fainga'a) has been pretty good the last two tests. I cannot see McInerney being any better than Kaitu’u or Lonergan. I guess he is worth a look?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
FF (Folau Fainga'a) has been pretty good the last two tests. I cannot see McInerney being any better than Kaitu’u or Lonergan. I guess he is worth a look?
I think it will be easy to be better then Lonergan - of all the hookers I think he brings the least. Uelese is a in tight, scrummaging beast but a bit lazy? Kaituu is a beast but still a bit shaky on the set piece, Lonergan is shit at set piece and meant to be mobile but still not strong or mobile enough. Amosa was out of shape but a great scrummager but seagulls too much. Fainga'a seems to do his job in the right places at least.

IMO at their best.
Latu>BPA>Fainga'a>Uelese>Kaituu>Mcinerney>Lonergan

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think it will be easy to be better then Lonergan - of all the hookers I think he brings the least. Uelese is a in tight, scrummaging beast but a bit lazy? Kaituu is a beast but still a bit shaky on the set piece, Lonergan is shit at set piece and meant to be mobile but still not strong or mobile enough. Amosa was out of shape but a great scrummager but seagulls too much. Fainga'a seems to do his job in the right places at least.

IMO at their best.
I think your being a bit harsh on Lonergan, he had a smoking super rugby season which got him selected. His still a young man, if he puts on some size he will be pretty bloody good player for the future.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Based on what I’ve seen them do in gold jerseys, my clear favourite is Kaituu.

High work rate, good skills, good age for continued development, he’s the one I would want to focus as our main hooker for the next few years.

And I honestly never thought he’d really make it as a professional player, so I’m happy to be proven wrong.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)

IMO at their best.
I essentially agree with this. The challenge is that the likes of Porecki, Mafi and even Hanson probably deserve to be in the power rankings somewhere too - but I don't know where.

I think Lonergan needs 12-24 months of good Super Rugby and time in the gym

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think your being a bit harsh on Lonergan, he had a smoking super rugby season which got him selected. His still a young man, if he puts on some size he will be pretty bloody good player for the future.
I don't think I'm being harsh at all. Even your defence refers to the future. I'm just referring to the present. He is NOW not good enough. I have every hope in the world that he WILL BE in the future.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)

Yeh the "soon to be 7" was a reference to Latu's impending arrival. I'm hoping (expecting) next year Rennie will just cut bait on a couple of these blokes and move ahead with a chosen few. It looks to me that lonergan isnt quite ready for test rugby. And id be really surprised if mcinerney pushed his way up the pecking order

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Based on what I’ve seen them do in gold jerseys, my clear favourite is Kaituu.

High work rate, good skills, good age for continued development, he’s the one I would want to focus as our main hooker for the next few years.

And I honestly never thought he’d really make it as a professional player, so I’m happy to be proven wrong.
You do realise that Kaitu'u is the oldest of the contenders? If he's a good age then the others are at least at good age too, perhaps better.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yeh the "soon to be 7" was a reference to Latu's impending arrival. I'm hoping (expecting) next year Rennie will just cut bait on a couple of these blokes and move ahead with a chosen few. It looks to me that lonergan isnt quite ready for test rugby. And id be really surprised if mcinerney pushed his way up the pecking order
If McInerney, or any one of the others, shows consistency in throwing to the lineout I reckon he or the other will move rapidly up the pecking order.

Reactions: TSR

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
You do realise that Kaitu'u is the oldest of the contenders? If he's a good age then the others are at least at good age too, perhaps better.

Yes so if we are sticking by the timeline of aiming for the next RWC, he will be in essentially his prime playing age for a front rower, therefore a worthwhile investment for the next few years.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
My guess is that Lonergan is the long term preference/a target for RWC23. He has the skills and he's already been exposed to a high level of football and looked ok. A year or two bulking and he will be the goods - right in time for the world cup.

Everyone else is auditioning to be one of the other two hookers in a world cup squad IMO.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It was evident during Super Rugby TT that Lonergan was far more dynamic around the field than the other domestic hooker options............ his ball running, and ability to bend the defensive line was particularly impressive.

He's a very exciting future prospect, but it goes without saying that he needs to bulk up if he wants to compete at test level, and not get his head pushed out his arse in the scrum.