• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

COVID-19 Stuff Here

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Mulum is getting gentrified and the locals aren't happy. It's now full of tree changers.

All those hinterland areas are going to get developed out.

As long as they keep the mobile reception poor in and around Nimbin, they'll be safe from the gentrification.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
cyclopath - given your medical background, what have been your thoughts here? In the digging around I have been doing (I am a science nut and back studying for my sins):

x It seems a good chance that a vaccine will eventuate but 12 to 18 months.
x It seems that social distancing and isolation measures have not contained the spread and will not, but will slow things down.
x Summer is anticipated to dampen transmission and virus survival, but in Australia ALL of our CV-19 cases have been in summer or the summer season shoulder. So we can expect an upswing through winter, though social distancing will hopefully moderate this.
x Given that social isolation controls are simply slowing things down, these controls are not likely to be removed prior to the vaccine being available and implemented in Australia
x At best that means the same measures in place right now, are in place end march 2021 and maybe through to september 2021

We are talking two seasons of rugby if the above is close to the mark.
Pretty good soothsaying here dru.

Edit: first post in this thread, back in March last year.

Reactions: dru

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
No dissent is allowed.
“I have pulled multiple cartoons by Leunig, almost entirely on the grounds that they expressed an anti-vaccination sentiment" says The Age’s editor Gay Alcorn after easing Michael Leunig out of his job last Monday.
This is the most recent cartoon which led to his cancellation:
1635124477804.png

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
No dissent is allowed.
“I have pulled multiple cartoons by Leunig, almost entirely on the grounds that they expressed an anti-vaccination sentiment" says The Age’s editor Gay Alcorn after easing Michael Leunig out of his job last Monday.
This is the most recent cartoon which led to his cancellation:
View attachment 12719
I'd pull it 'cause it's such a shittily drawn cartoon he needed to include a reference photo.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Anyways, Leunig is a known anti-vaxxer/pro plaguer/science denier (pick your favourite)...

That cartoon is certainly not as idiotic as the one he penned a few years back where he criticised mothers who vaccinate their children.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Maybe he should fall off a ladder and emerge from his final shapeshift as a radically racist cartoonist like the late Bill Leak?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Pretty good soothsaying here dru.

Edit: first post in this thread, back in March last year.

Thanks Tex.

The path "out" is also interesting. NSW seems to be all over it. ACT about the same. Victoria hot on their heels but without anything like the same control before opening which could get messy. Both Qld and WA will actually be introducing the virus with all the ramifications (viral spread, hospitalisations and deaths) - seems likely that there could be a backlash. WA and Qld also seem to have hospital systems already barely coping even without community COVID. Ambulances stacking up etc. Both are dragging the chain in the regions and remote communities. It's going to be messy and I won't be surprised with further measures coming back in WA and Qld at some point.

Everyone seems to forget that the federal modelling requires continuing excellence in tracing. Here in Qld my un-scientific and unsubstantiated gut feel is that the QR code entry is basically over - no public support and just not happening. Anywhere I go I'm the only person with phone out on the QR code.

If I were the Drua, I'd be relocating from Qld to NSW.

BTW I can only empathise with you Victorians - we've barely had a lock down here and I personally (by luck not management) missed most of it while travelling FNQ. It's still taken a toll, just nothing like for you guys. Hats off to you.