• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Bid for 2027 World Cup

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I was on the east coast of the USA for the last RWC and it was invisible.

If they think hosting a RWC will be the magic wand for them, then they are way off.

They're national team is dire and their new professional league was one by a team of mostly foreigners.

Yeah, but that team didn't waltz it in once the rest got up to speed with the new normal. Which from early season form most people thought they'd go undefeated in a dominant fashion.

As for hosting. MLR as the only commercial venture for the game in the States (well, for now. There's a Pro 7s league that had its trial event recently set to launch a full schedule next year)and the one investing time and money to develop the game from youth up. They've come out and said that they couldn't see the US being ready before 2031 at the absolute earliest and that's of everything goes to plan. They've set their eyes on 2035. Which is more realisitic.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I was on the east coast of the USA for the last RWC and it was invisible.

If they think hosting a RWC will be the magic wand for them, then they are way off.

They're national team is dire and their new professional league was one by a team of mostly foreigners.
To be fair RR, a mate I knew in Pommy land said at the start of the 2015 WC rugby was pretty invisible for any but rugby people in London too.
And we did have all the naysayers say exactly same thing about Japan hosting it too, so I think it will all come down to what will do the game worldwide the most good ie; who will spend the most cash?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The Fella from AS rugby on tv here tonight was talking only about 27 WC:( . but to be fair that maybe because nominations for 31 aren't been takenas yet.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I know next to nothing about the state of rugby in the States, but if this weekend was anything to go by I can't imagine World Rugby would be considering them to be a genuine option for 2027. I tuned in to the game to see what fanfare they might muster to give their WC bid some momentum, but the whole thing fell a bit flat from my perspective. Decent turn out for a rugby game held in Washington but well under the numbers anticipated. Moreover, the USA team itself is not where it needs to be IMO. The only way the tournament will be a success is if the Americans get behind their team. At the very least they need a team that is capable of potentially winning 1 or 2 pool games, otherwise the Americans won't give a fuck honestly. They certainly won't be filling any NFL stadiums. This current USA team looks well of the pace. 2031 is seems a much more realistic target.

Last edited:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
To be fair RR, a mate I knew in Pommy land said at the start of the 2015 WC rugby was pretty invisible for any but rugby people in London too.
And we did have all the naysayers say exactly same thing about Japan hosting it too, so I think it will all come down to what will do the game worldwide the most good ie; who will spend the most cash?
Your friend sounds like he is full of shit. I was there for it and it seemed pretty damn big to me.

Reactions: dru

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The game on the weekend has to help our cause. The Eagles looked insipid, the field was patchy with NFL markings, crowd was so-so, and the whole thing felt a bit off.

2027 is too soon for them. If World Rugby give it to them there should be a riot.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)

The way I see it, you only get one chance to make a big splash to grow the game in the United States. Anyone who's spent any time in the US will know that Americans are extremely insular when it comes to their sports. If it's not NFL,NBA,MLB, etc, by and large they don't want to know about it. If a home world cup is going to get any mainstream traction in the States it's only going to be off the back of a genuinely competitive national team that they can get behind. Americans are nothing if not patriotic. Put a genuinely competitive team together and Americans will get behind them. Otherwise the whole thing will be a massive waste and will do very little to grow the game there.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Your friend sounds like he is full of shit. I was there for it and it seemed pretty damn big to me.
Mate I was talking about beginning of cup, and as I know the fella pretty well, I think I know who would be full of shit! He said it picked up when it got going, perhaps he lived in different part of London to you or something!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The way I see it, you only get one chance to make a big splash to grow the game in United States. Anyone who's spent any time in the US will know that Americans are extremely insular when it comes to their sports. If it's not NFL,NA,MLB, etc, by and large they don't want to know about it. If a home world cup is going to get any mainstream traction in the States it's only going to be off the back of a genuinely competitive national team that they can get behind. Americans are nothing if not patriotic. Put a genuinely competitive team together and Americans will get behind them. Otherwise the whole thing will be a massive waste and will do very little to grow the game there.
I reckon it would be risky, but not sure if it because I keen on it being in Oz, so finding reasons for it not to work in US, but I do remember reading on rugby forums before event what a flop Japan was going to be because it was supposedly going to be played in front of empty stadiums. I suspect this forum was one of them, but not sure,;) and you know how short the memory of a poster can be when it turns out perhaps they wrong.
I still think Oz's biggest worry is Poms etc wanting 31 WC and whether they decide that yanks getting one first will make it easier.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Was interested to hear Ric Salizzo talking on Breakdown last night, he in New York and heavily involved in US rugby, and he only talked about 31 WC, which is pleasing, hopefully that remains their main attempt. Was actually interesting to here how he was saying US rugby is actually almost 2 different identities, with New York etc almost aligned to European rugby, and West Coast with Pacific.
You know the best thing that could happen to your USA 2027 bid right now?

It's this: the Eagles, fresh from losing to Uruguay but now captained by Marcel Brache (good bloke), stun the touring New Zealand junketeers.

I wouldn't put it beyond possibilty. Fozzie -- under riding instructions from 'ol mate Mark 'Silverlake' Robinson -- goes the soft shoe on selection for the new paymasters.

NZ shave their margin from 70+ to just 27 points against a resurgent United States.

Here first!
Oh and by the way Kiap, we heard it here first, pity it was so wrong huh?:p:D:D:D

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Oh and by the way Kiap, we heard it here first, pity it was so wrong huh?:p:D:D:D
Oh contraire, I'm in the money.
thumbs.png

Last weekend put a torpedo into the bow of your USA 2027 bid. A non-shaming margin could've (just about) maintained a credible face. Even under 60.

The best thing within the realms of possibility for USA was exactly what I said, … that is:

NZ shave their margin from 70+ to just 27 points against a resurgent United States.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Oh contraire, I'm in the money. View attachment 12724

Last weekend put a torpedo into the bow of your USA 2027 bid. A non-shaming margin could've (just about) maintained a credible face. Even under 60.

The best thing within the realms of possibility for USA was exactly what I said, … that is:

Lol no mate, I meant what you said how ABs were going to keep score low, under orders from Silver Lake ,(love to know what a blow out score is if that was keeping it low) I love the way you call it my bid too, hate to tell you I not in US, would much prefer Oz to get it because I will get to it easier than US.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Lol no mate, I meant what you said how ABs were going to keep score low, under orders from Silver Lake ,
If you quote something, it's useful to read it.

"I wouldn't put it beyond possibility. Fozzie -- under riding instructions from 'ol mate Mark 'Silverlake' Robinson -- goes the soft shoe on selection for the new paymasters..."

Not beyond possibility does not mean "going to".

(love to know what a blow out score is if that was keeping it low)
Again, I point you to the words "beyond possibility".

It's not credible for the US (playing with their B side) to get much closer than four tries. Would be a steward's inquiry if they'd won (and Fozzie would be tarred and feathered).

Their best case was a respectable beating.

I love the way you call it my bid too, hate to tell you I not in US, would much prefer Oz to get it because I will get to it easier than US.
I knew you'd like it!

Last edited:

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The Fella from AS rugby on tv here tonight was talking only about 27 WC:( . but to be fair that maybe because nominations for 31 aren't been takenas yet.
GLENDALE, CO (June 10, 2021) – The United States has been formally accepted as a candidate to host one or more of the upcoming Rugby World Cup events in 2027, 2029 and/or 2031. Subsequently, the United States will move forward with a proposed hosting concept following positive outcomes from the Rugby World Cup Feasibility Study that began in August 2020 and World Rugby Dialogue Phase. The feasibility group, in tandem with USA Rugby, will continue its role and transition from exploratory phase to bid planning and preparation ahead of the January 2022 proposal deadline with World Rugby. The group will bring together American rugby and sports experts to develop proposals across a number of hosting concept categories, including financial planning, event objectives, competitions, stadiums and host cities, player welfare, rugby development, legacy and more.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Oh contraire, I'm in the money. View attachment 12724

I'm not so sure that the results of the potential host would necessarily have as great an impact as you suggest. The US previously hosted the FIFA world cup with great success even though they are even worse at soccer than we are. The ability to generate $$$ and to grow the market are significant.

The 1994 FIFA World Cup was the 15th FIFA World Cup, the world championship for men's national soccer teams. It was hosted by the United States and took place from June 17 to July 17, 1994, at nine venues across the country. The United States was chosen as the host by FIFA on July 4, 1988. Despite soccer's relative lack of popularity in the host nation, the tournament was the most financially successful in World Cup history; it broke tournament records with overall attendance of 3,587,538 and an average of 68,991 per game, marks that stood unbroken as of 2018 despite the expansion of the competition from 24 to 32 teams starting with the 1998 World Cup.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I'm not so sure that the results of the potential host would necessarily have as great an impact as you suggest.
We will know the answer in around six months, QH. :)

Still, I'll reiterate about reading when quoting. Taking a torpedo doesn't equate to being sunk… yet.

The US previously hosted the FIFA world cup with great success even though they are even worse at soccer than we are.

The US are objectively better

US v AUS.png

Socceroos have only got into the top 30 rarely and briefly (IIRC, peak was around 14th).

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I dread this World Cup decision, far too much politics in World Rugby, just look at the shit between NZ and RA. Two countries who should be aligned in their strategic thinking and planning.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I dread this World Cup decision, far too much politics in World Rugby, just look at the shit between NZ and RA. Two countries who should be aligned in their strategic thinking and planning.
It shapes as a real test to see if world rugby has moved forward at all from the debacle that was the last bidding process and the failed league of nations.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Like I said Adam, I see Poms as being the ones who will have a big say. If they decide they want 31 WC, would not surprise me if they backed the US in 27, and as you say then the politics come into play big time. There will be a fair bit of block voting going on if that is the case.