• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
"Minority", fuck no, I'm with you, Derpus. This petty "ownership" model started by would-be sports goliaths when rugby went pro in 1996 is the start of all this shit. I HATE the shenanigans the rich European soccer clubs come up with for international windows ("injured", "tired", "recuperation", etc) and I can't understand how we've let the European model of professional soccer dictate how we conduct international rugby.

Discuss.
I agree. The recent Wallaby selection policy makes room for two OS players that do not qualify through tests played and there is talk of loosening the policy moving forward. This makes all Australian players, wherever they are, fair game. Kerevi will now be the first picked under this criteria every time. His club should not stand in the way of that, officially or otherwise.
The official test windows should be respected all over the world and tests outside those windows should then be a point of negotiation. You would think that tests outside of the individual clubs season should be relatively straight forward to organise.
Look at the SA players plying their trade in Europe and Japan. They are available more often than not and still pull big bucks with their club contracts.
The Japanese team is also touring Europe over the next month. I am guessing there are a lot of other players from Kerevi and McMahons club overseas during this pre-season. Will Suntory try and pull the pin on them being away representing their country as well?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I can see why RA is not worrying about using rules to get players. I think we have to understand the players had more or less retired from international rugby when they signed contracts, and hence their contracts were worth more. By not rocking the boat too much RA are not forcing the players to chose, as they already did once and chose money over test selection. I think now they have changed their stance a little , players will know and so will go into contracts with eyes open from now on.

Hogie

Allen Oxlade (6)
Personally I would prefer to Perese coming in on one of the wings for Scotland match rather than bringing him in at 12, as not sure he has played 12 this year. Leave Paisami and Ikitau in midfield with clear communication for Paisami to revert back to basics that he performed so well in 2020- strong carries, hard tackling and leave kicking to the 10 or Ikitau.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
They don't need to even think of a Kerevi replacement as they already have Paisami, Foketi and to a lesser extend, JOC (James O'Connor) and Perese for 12.

How about backrow? yes they have 5, but surely they at least have someone on speeddial. Who would be on your speed dial? Dempsey?

Beale seems the likely options for Hodge

But say Quade DOESN'T go?!?! JOC (James O'Connor) is the 10, but who would you want in the squad to help cover 10 (Assuming beale can also provide a bit of cover)Do they get Lolesio to shoot for a flight if ones available?

Who are reliable experienced pivots in Europe who the wallabies can lean? You MUST have a player who can cover at least 10 on the bench and really need preferably 3 players in total across the 30+ squad who can play it. Beale could be one but seems like he needs to just worry about being a 15.

Mike Harris - Pau
Zac Holmes doing solid things @ Toulouse
Duncan Paia-aua - Toulon and was with Wallabies for french series.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
"Minority", fuck no, I'm with you, Derpus. This petty "ownership" model started by would-be sports goliaths when rugby went pro in 1996 is the start of all this shit. I HATE the shenanigans the rich European soccer clubs come up with for international windows ("injured", "tired", "recuperation", etc) and I can't understand how we've let the European model of professional soccer dictate how we conduct international rugby.

Discuss.
If the Wallabies want to pick Kerevi, McMahon etc, they need to formally scrap the Giteau rule and make it known that any Australian player, in any competition is eligible for Wallaby selection.

Overseas clubs will factor that knowledge into their contract negotiations going forward.

The current situation we are dealing with is a product of the current regulations put in place by RA, not the clubs fault.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ok so assuming the Japanese 3 are all out plus Hodge. Something like this for Scotland.

15 Kellaway
14 Daugunu
13 Ikitau
12 Paisami
11 Petaia
10 JOC (James O'Connor)
9 McDermott
8 Valetini
7 Hooper
6 Swinton
5 Arnold
4 Rodda
3 Tupou
2 Fainga'a
1 Slipper

16 Latu
17 Bell
18 AAA
19 Skelton
20 Samu
21 White
22 Beale
23 Perese

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Could be worse. Hopefully Cooper gets the nod. He can also play at 15 if need be. With Beale we have adequate cover. McMahon was taken presumably in place of McReight. Bad choosing Maddog over him as a backup 7 whichever way you look at it.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I spose on the bright side it gives others a chance and we can build 'depth'.

Do they not fly in some replacements? There no longer travel restrictions outbound. Just send in one of the Reds looses and Lolesio.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I spose on the bright side it gives others a chance and we can build 'depth'.

Do they not fly in some replacements? There no longer travel restrictions outbound. Just send in one of the Reds looses and Lolesio.

Rennie has said he doesn't want to call in Oz based players as it will impact their pre-season/holidays.

Plus we probably don't have any more budget considering there is half a dozen senior bods over there pushing for the RWC

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
Ok so assuming the Japanese 3 are all out plus Hodge. Something like this for Scotland.

15 Kellaway
14 Daugunu
13 Ikitau
12 Paisami
11 Petaia
10 JOC (James O'Connor)
9 McDermott
8 Valetini
7 Hooper
6 Swinton
5 Arnold
4 Rodda
3 Tupou
2 Fainga'a
1 Slipper

16 Latu
17 Bell
18 AAA
19 Skelton
20 Samu
21 White
22 Beale
23 Perese

I'd give Perese a go over Paisami at 12 after last weekend

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
that's a big call because as far as I am aware Perese has never played 12 in first class/professional rugby? Unless he had a run there for NSW this year? And it's his test debut. Paisami will be better for the run last week (and tackled like a demon). Work Perese off the bench I reckon.

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
that's a big call because as far as I am aware Perese has never played 12 in first class/professional rugby? Unless he had a run there for NSW this year? And it's his test debut. Paisami will be better for the run last week (and tackled like a demon). Work Perese off the bench I reckon.

True, maybe Foketi then. Yes Hunter defended well but he was a liability in attack. Use the Scotland game to see if Foketi or Perese can do any better and if not revert to Hunter for the England game as you know what you are going to get

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
True, maybe Foketi then. Yes Hunter defended well but he was a liability in attack. Use the Scotland game to see if Foketi or Perese can do any better and if not revert to Hunter for the England game as you know what you are going to get

how was he a liability in attack?

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Ah, I too can't wait for the Scots to have the Raeburn Shield after we just throw an undercooked Perese into the starting team, rather than manage his game time.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Perese on the bench to come in at 13 or on the wing late in the game. I guess it depends on if Cooper is available or not.

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
We're so quick to turn on players aren't we. Paisami was the second coming earlier this year, now he's a has-been who is a bench option at best.

Don't get me wrong I think Hunter is a good player who will get better and better over the next few years. At this point in time he is in just his second year as a fulltime professional Rugby player and his performance was down on the weekend. No harm in trying other options