• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
1635376371919.png

Rugby fans during November.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Can someone smarter than me tell me how to organise the morning of Sunday 21 November?
2am - England v South Africa - huge
4am - Wales v Australia
6am - France - New Zealand - potentially the match of the year

My little brain doesn't compute. Do I wake up whenever, then just sit down to three straight matches without checking my phone for the entire day? Surely have to watch them all in entirety. Do I wake up at 6am and watch France live? But they might spoil the other matches.

Weird to watch England v SA on delay first whilst also having a Wallabies match sitting there unwatched.

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Can someone smarter than me tell me how to organise the morning of Sunday 21 November?
2am - England v South Africa - huge
4am - Wales v Australia
6am - France - New Zealand - potentially the match of the year

My little brain doesn't compute. Do I wake up whenever, then just sit down to three straight matches without checking my phone for the entire day? Surely have to watch them all in entirety. Do I wake up at 6am and watch France live? But they might spoil the other matches.

Weird to watch England v SA on delay first whilst also having a Wallabies match sitting there unwatched.
I think I'll get up and throw England v SA on, have a coffee and get to work on a proper Sunday morning breakfast, with the idea of having the breakfast ready to go for the Wales v Australia game. That should keep me distracted enough to get through the first game without ending up anywhere online to have the Australia game spoiled. Can then follow it up with France v New Zealand.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Do you think any tests will be on channel 9? I was really stunned that Japanese game wasn't, talking to mates in Aus who quite often go to pub to watch game, saying that it wasn't on FTA was bloody poor I thought, then read in here of people watching on phones etc. I was under the impression that 9/Stan were getting big viewing numbers for Super etc, and thought if so showing tests (rugby's main strength is international) on Ch9 to help capture casual fans etc would of been way to go, even to hook a few more onto getting Stan.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Do you think any tests will be on channel 9? I was really stunned that Japanese game wasn't, talking to mates in Aus who quite often go to pub to watch game, saying that it wasn't on FTA was bloody poor I thought, then read in here of people watching on phones etc. I was under the impression that 9/Stan were getting big viewing numbers for Super etc, and thought if so showing tests (rugby's main strength is international) on Ch9 to help capture casual fans etc would of been way to go, even to hook a few more onto getting Stan.
What’s the point playing it on channel 9 at 3am?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yeah, there's not much gain to be had playing these tests live on FTA when you also own the subscription service. Any die hards that want to watch live are the core of the stan sport subscriber base. Everyone else will have a much better experience watching it first thing in the morning when they wake up.

It would be nice if there were FTA replays on around 8 or 9 in the morning, but I don't think it's a big deal if there aren't.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
What’s the point playing it on channel 9 at 3am?
Mate Japan test wasn't 3 am was it? I understand Stan's point, make the f***ers pay, just am surprised that rugby people on here don't see the advantage of FTA for promoting game amongst non rugby fans. \
Yeah, there's not much gain to be had playing these tests live on FTA when you also own the subscription service. Any die hards that want to watch live are the core of the stan sport subscriber base. Everyone else will have a much better experience watching it first thing in the morning when they wake up.

It would be nice if there were FTA replays on around 8 or 9 in the morning, but I don't think it's a big deal if there aren't.
Yep mate , but die hard fans wasn't who I meant, more the casual viewers, still who wants to promote the game huh?

I actually get pissed that games not on FTA in NZ for same reason, there a few people can't afford pay tv etc.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Mate Japan test wasn't 3 am was it? I understand Stan's point, make the f***ers pay, just am surprised that rugby people on here don't see the advantage of FTA for promoting game amongst non rugby fans. \

Yep mate , but die hard fans wasn't who I meant, more the casual viewers, still who wants to promote the game huh?
Sorry, I was specifically talking about the northern tour there in response to the above comment.

As far as the Japanese game goes it would've been better if it was on FTA and I don't really understand why it wasn't, it's not going to drive subscriptions restricting it to stan in the way the Northern tour games (including the non-Australian ones) will. The only thing I can think is there was some behind the scenes/legal reason, because it would've been a good final opportunity to sell stan sport for the Northern tour. Maybe because that deal wasn't done at the time of the game (or at least they hadn't announced those games yet) there wasn't any obvious benefit they saw.

The pub problem is a bit different though. While having this game on FTA would've solved it here there's a larger issue where putting everything on FTA is not an answer. It's pretty important that they have a commercial package or re-broadcast agreement to get stan into pubs and venues in time for super rugby next year. It's an important part of the offering at any stage, but with lockdowns hopefully a thing of the past, that in-person social experience is probably going to be of out-sized importance as people relish their returning freedoms.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep, and I understand your point about NH tour to mate, probably only rugby people going to watch or even record it. so honestly don't think it will make a difference. Mind you I can see NH games being on FTA, because there not much else on at that time of morning. But as you say I/we have no idea how much Stan have got to pay if it is in FTA.
I guess I been so wrapt that Aus rugby has at long last had a real good tv partner I getting greedy for the game(even if I not there anymore)!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

I actually get pissed that games not on FTA in NZ for same reason, there a few people can't afford pay tv etc.
I don’t think oz vs Japan quite catches the appeal of the casual sports fan but yeh in time should change as Japan are a good side and play an attractive style of rugby.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I still have my Kayo subscription as I watch other sports on there.

Surprised to see Aussie v Scots on there in upcoming highlights. And they had all the other games from this weekend.

Anyone know what the go is? I only have Stan Sports for rugby so if all the games will be on Kayo for this tour, I’ll probably unsubscribe until Super starts.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
It was very funny to hear Campo's summary of the game ("both teams were terrible") and then cut back to Justin Harrison who fired up and roundly criticised Campo for being so wrong.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
He cames across as a grumpy old man who didn't sound very interested in seeing any positives. I wondered why they bothered talking to him.

Campo has been widely critical of RA and the general state of the game in recent years.

It’s almost like Stan Sports signed him up as a bit of a fark you to the way the game has been handled.

I personally can’t stand him or Harrison on the microphones.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Campo has been widely critical of RA and the general state of the game in recent years.

It’s almost like Stan Sports signed him up as a bit of a fark you to the way the game has been handled.

I personally can’t stand him or Harrison on the microphones.
They are both pretty bad. Maloney is ok, tries hard at least. Only bloke I really rate at the moment is Turinui who has a lot of genuine insight.

Merts is just a Canterbury version of Kearns.