• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Moana Pasifika Franchise

The Moana Pasifika Franchise

• Gone in 2 years

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • Very Cool

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Why the FUCK does NZRFU have to bankroll this bullshit?

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Will get the dregs of The Auckland Blues

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • may as well just call it "The Southern Kings"

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • "Players will come back from million $ Toulon contracts to play for free in bumhole Papatoetoe"

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • This team will kick arse

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Gone in 10 years

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Least NZ Rugby could do after years of harvesting islands for talent.....

Votes: 23 44.2%
  • .....Straya not exactly innocent there.....

Votes: 13 25.0%

• Total voters

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Interesting is number of kiwi born players in the MP (Moana Pasifika) squad. Hopefully the idea of allowing up
to 3 ABs in MP (Moana Pasifika) team means if any of those players get good enough to represent ABs does not mean they have to move to kiwi franchise. And more so hope this rule is pilot for considering applying same rule to any Super Rugby side. As I advocate more franchise model that allows establishing franchises across Asia pacific to grow the game but allow this sort of flexibility to create more even balance across the team’s / footprint. It would also provide a model to grow the game in other regions eg say Singapore team joined that they could have up to x wallabies or ABs in the team.
I not sure how MP (Moana Pasifika) will work, but as for players going to any frnachise in super, I think we have seen what happens when your players are out of your control! Have a look at Wallabies with Kerevi etc, the further everyone keeps away from that the better! Though I know where you coming from RN , but as you know I against, and you can see exactly why now.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I not sure how MP (Moana Pasifika) will work, but as for players going to any frnachise in super, I think we have seen what happens when your players are out of your control! Have a look at Wallabies with Kerevi etc, the further everyone keeps away from that the better! Though I know where you coming from RN , but as you know I against, and you can see exactly why now.
Nah - i am talking about within the same competition which is different - and yeh a super rugby franchise model which allows for more free flow of players I reckon is only way to go long term. I reckon even nzru is coming round to it and hence the trial up to 3 ABs rule for MP (Moana Pasifika). As you do this to keep players closer to home and part of a competition you are part of and have more control over.

Reactions: dru

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Worth remembering that at this point no AB has to my knowledge been linked to MP (Moana Pasifika) let alone been signed by them. Or to put it another way, just because MP (Moana Pasifika) can sign up to three current AB, doesn't mean there's up to three current AB who will sign up for MP (Moana Pasifika).

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Worth remembering that at this point no AB has to my knowledge been linked to MP (Moana Pasifika) let alone been signed by them. Or to put it another way, just because MP (Moana Pasifika) can sign up to three current AB, doesn't mean there's up to three current AB who will sign up for MP (Moana Pasifika).
I look at this slightly differently - yes there is no signing of an current AB but also they have signed kiwi players and that means if any of them show form to progress to becoming an AB over the next couple of years they don't have to jump ship from MP (Moana Pasifika) to a kiwi Super Rugby franchise in order to be eligible to play for the ABs. That to me is a major positive step.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I look at this slightly differently - yes there is no signing of an current AB but also they have signed kiwi players and that means if any of them show form to progress to becoming an AB over the next couple of years they don't have to jump ship from MP (Moana Pasifika) to a kiwi Super Rugby franchise in order to be eligible to play for the ABs. That to me is a major positive step.
I understand what you mean mate, I would prefer if they Island eligible and come through the MP (Moana Pasifika) pathway, that's where they play their international stuff. Though take your point if it someone like L McClutchie who isn't able to play for Islands.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Another bloody good signing I think, Levi Aumua mdifielder from Tasman, a big fast boy, there are going to be some sore shoulders after tackling these boys all day!!

Also Filo Tiatia is come on board as assistant coach.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
Another bloody good signing I think, Levi Aumua mdifielder from Tasman, a big fast boy, there are going to be some sore shoulders after tackling these boys all day!!

Also Filo Tiatia is come on board as assistant coach.

Levi was a couple of years above me at Brisbane Grammar. In his senior team we weren't all too flash as a team but he was so evidently better than everyone else; it was pretty clear that if he applied himself he'd go far. Anyway Levi was known for his love of shoes so one game a coach said if he scored a hat trick he'd give him his shoes. Levi scored 4 tries that day.

He was a specimen back then, truly violent hits against some kids who went on to higher honours so I'd be very keen to see if he can replicate that at this level.

Seemed like a nice guy too.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
This another signing with Super experience, been with Chiefs and Canes;
Manu Samoa halfback Jonathan Taumateine joins Moana Pasifika for the inaugural Super Rugby Pacific season. The 25-year old made his test match debut from the bench in July where Samoa collected a 42-13 win over ‘Ikale Tahi. The following week, the exciting halfback got his first test start, scoring a try in Samoa’s 37-15 win over Tonga, securing a spot in the 2023 Rugby World Cup.
And a couple more hawke Eyes are joining
Hawke’s Bay winger Azelo Tuitavuki and tighthead prop Joe Apikotoa (also a few games for Chiefs and Wellington Lions) join the Moana Pasifika kāinga for the inaugural Super Rugby Pacific season. Both are of Tongan descent and eligible for selection into the ‘Ikale Tahi.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
So far, it seems like a 'best of the Pasifika from the NPC' squad, with a couple of other experienced players thrown into the mix. Always likely the way with a short timeframe to build a team, but a long way off a Pasifika powerhouse and you'd imagine that a lot of the players without Super Rugby experinece being signed have been overlooked by NZ teams before now. It's going to be a tough initiation.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
So far, it seems like a 'best of the Pasifika from the NPC' squad, with a couple of other experienced players thrown into the mix. Always likely the way with a short timeframe to build a team, but a long way off a Pasifika powerhouse and you'd imagine that a lot of the players without Super Rugby experinece being signed have been overlooked by NZ teams before now. It's going to be a tough initiation.
I think it was always going to be like this for the initial set up Rebel. But basically I think that was where they were heading, and you don't want a combination of Tongan and Samoan test teams, it (like Drua) trying to give players chance to earn enough to stay down SH way, and have a step up from NPC etc to test rugby. I don't imagine either MP (Moana Pasifika) or Drua who are basically a NRC team would be expecting to top comp in first couple of years. Remember any set up teams like Force and Rebels etc really struggled for a couple of years. I can still see both teams winning the odd game.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I think it was always going to be like this for the initial set up Rebel. But basically I think that was where they were heading, and you don't want a combination of Tongan and Samoan test teams, it (like Drua) trying to give players chance to earn enough to stay down SH way, and have a step up from NPC etc to test rugby. I don't imagine either MP (Moana Pasifika) or Drua who are basically a NRC team would be expecting to top comp in first couple of years. Remember any set up teams like Force and Rebels etc really struggled for a couple of years. I can still see both teams winning the odd game.
I think Drua will be competitive almost immediately, but predict a tough start for Moana.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I think Drua will be competitive almost immediately, but predict a tough start for Moana.
Could well be right mate, I don't really have a full picture of Drua, I only know the team that played in NRC, don't know how many more they have got, hope it a few as I don't think a team from that level will go that well stepping up a grade without a couple of experienced players coming in. I really would like them to both be able to pick up a game or 2 in first seasons, something to build on.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Another signing, don't know a lot about him, but they already got 3 loosies with Super exparience so probably a bench player;
Bay of Plenty Steamers loose forward Penitoa Finau joins the Moana Pasifika Kāinga.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
And probably winning games against rebels, force (ok and tahs)