• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2022

Super Rugby 2022

• Go Blues

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Go cantabs

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go other NZ team.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go Force

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • Go Tahs

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • Go Brumbies

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go Reds

Votes: 30 31.9%
  • Go Rebs

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • Go new PI teams

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go any team that plays the cantabs

Votes: 12 12.8%

• Total voters

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Force to open the season against the Rebels on 19 Feb at Hbf Park* or Adelaide, or Brisbane.
* = Border opening pending.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
On the Facebook/twitter thing, I must admit I follow MP (Moana Pasifika) on FB as I don't even know what or how to get twitter, but as pointed out it an age thing!

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Full draw:

1636943044666.png

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
I think we are wasting Sunday afternoons only half of the available Sundays have a match scheduled

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I think we are wasting Sunday afternoons only half of the available Sundays have a match scheduled
It's the reality of having the Perth Timezone - if the Force are playing at home then there's an extra prime time slot available on Friday or Saturday night. That and having the byes condensed into 3 rounds in the middle of the comp means there's only so many weeks it makes sense to utilize the Sunday afternoon.

It also makes that schedule read really weird in spots - e.g. the first round games are out of order because they're sorted by local time listed, rather than the UTC value

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I have to disagree, I know a lot of posters on this site like Sunday afternoon games. I for one hate them, they are way more to organize as I have dinner at either my parents or my in laws in a Sunday. It's not easy to organize with small kids to go to the game and then travel an hour on transport for dinner all with school/daycare the following day.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
It's the reality of having the Perth Timezone - if the Force are playing at home then there's an extra prime time slot available on Friday or Saturday night.
I'm not sure 9:30 or 11:30 pm is exactly 'primetime'

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I don't understand why you would have the Rebels v Brumbies as the final game of the Super Round, thought surely the 2nd slot on Saturday would be the better option.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
I think 9:30 still is, but either way I'd guess it's what the broadcasters preferred
I guess so.

We've been complaining for years about the SA match times but now we are asking the Blues, Crusaders & Hurricanes fans to watch a match at kick off at midnight when it could be 7 or 8 on Sunday evening.

Also works in reverse when the Force are playing the Chiefs Highlanders & MP (Moana Pasifika) at 2:00 on Friday afternoon Perth time.

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
As far as the repeat "Rivalry" games go:

Australian based sides:
Reds: Brumbies, Tahs and Rebels
Brumbies: Reds, Force and Chiefs
Force: Rebels, Tahs and Brumbies
Rebels: Force, Reds and Drua
Tahs: Reds, Force and Drua
Drua: Tahs, Rebels and Moana Pasifika

New Zealand base sides:
Chiefs: Brumbies, Blues and Crusaders
Blues: Highlanders, Moana Pasifika and Chiefs
Hurricanes: Moana Pasifika, Crusaders and Higlanders
Crusaders: Hurricanes, Highlanders and Chiefs
Highlanders: Crusaders, Blues and Hurricanes
Moana Pasifika: Blues, Hurricanes and Drua

So the only international rivalry games are Brumbies vs Chiefs and the expected Drua vs Moana Pasifika. Looks like Rugby Australia largely got their way with the scheduling there, with just a minor concession to make sure the Drua and Moana Pasifika got their rivalry game.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Everyone will no doubt have issues with how their side is dealt with, but the Brumbies are particularly disadvantaged by some aspects of the draw.

First, the Brumbies were quite vocal about wanting to have two or three Sunday afternoon games for the comfort of the crowd. They appear to have got none.

Second, most of the home games are later in the draw when the weather is turning icy. Not good again for the crowd.

Then to cap it off, they are the only Aussie side that has to play another NZ side (Chiefs) in the supplementary three matches.

I am truly surprised that they managed to avoid consecutive matches away to the Force followed by the Drua on consecutive weekends. Fortunately the bye lies in between.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I do like that everyone has their byes over a 3 week spell in middle of season, so everyone gets a decent run at finals etc without byes etc giving too much in way of advantages.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Everyone will no doubt have issues with how their side is dealt with, but the Brumbies are particularly disadvantaged by some aspects of the draw.

First, the Brumbies were quite vocal about wanting to have two or three Sunday afternoon games for the comfort of the crowd. They appear to have got none.

Second, most of the home games are later in the draw when the weather is turning icy. Not good again for the crowd.

Then to cap it off, they are the only Aussie side that has to play another NZ side (Chiefs) in the supplementary three matches.

I am truly surprised that they managed to avoid consecutive matches away to the Force followed by the Drua on consecutive weekends. Fortunately the bye lies in between.
Thats a good point BR, does make sense to have games at Canberra early as weather turns, maybe trying to avoid club rugby is the reason? I know Blues have got their afternoon games before club rugby starts in NZ.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
lets talk prime time TV on nine (Saturday night). We will see:

Round 1: Reds v Chiefs
Round 2: Drua v Force
Round 3: Brumbies v Waratahs
Round 4: Reds v Brumbies
Round 5: Waratahs v Rebels
Round 6: TBC (Drua v Tahs or Brumbies v Chiefs I guess)
Round 7: Reds v Waratahs
Round 8: Reds v Highlanders
Round 9: Waratahs v Force
Round 10: Rebels v Chiefs
Round 11: Drua v Rebels
Round 12: Waratahs v Drua
Round 13: Waratahs v Reds
Round 14: Brumbies v Crusaders
Round 15: Reds v Drua

Reds - 6
Tahs - 6
Brumbies - 3