• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

COVID-19 Stuff Here

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ they already charge extra if you're a smoker or have diabetes or a family history of heart disease, certain cancers, etc etc so at the very least you'd expect the unvaxxed to be paying more for life/ disability insurance or potentially being denied cover if they're considered too high risk.

Last edited:

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Not rugby related, but the first AFL retirement due to not wanting to get vaccinated has happened: Liam Jones from my club Carlton. Expect to see some more in elite sport too. I disagree with his stance but support his right to it. Disappointed that he won't be running around for my beloved Blues next year but that's the decision he's made based on his own principles.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
TBH - 15 NRL players are listed in The Australian as currently refusing the vaxx. They are facing sanctions ranging from contract termination to 20% salary cut.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
TBH - 15 NRL players are listed in The Australian as currently refusing the vaxx. They are facing sanctions ranging from contract termination to 20% salary cut.
I wonder if the NRL will take an approach similar to the NFL - players don't need to be vaccinated, but if you come down positive, you're out for longer, and if a game has to be cancelled because you've spread it to your teammates, your team loses the points and pays all associated costs. Not a mandate as such, but gets the clubs motivated...

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I wonder if the NRL will take an approach similar to the NFL - players don't need to be vaccinated, but if you come down positive, you're out for longer, and if a game has to be cancelled because you've spread it to your teammates, your team loses the points and pays all associated costs. Not a mandate as such, but gets the clubs motivated...

I don't mind that actually. Puts some responsibility on individuals.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think it will come down to what the rules are of the various states. If there is free travel by that point for unvaccinated people then maybe the NRL will let unvaccinated people play. If there isn't then I can't imagine they will.

The NFL situation is different because there are no restrictions on unvaccinated people crossing state borders and all travel is by private plane.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
South Africa have returned to shut down - 2m people unvaccinated and numbers of cases increasing.

Austria are 65% fully vaccinated but having around 11,000 cases per day. Also gone back into shut down but only for people not double vaccinated. Those with one dose can also avoid lock if they have a current negative test result. Unvaccinated really taking the brunt of action there.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Here's a persuasive argument against vaccine passports and health discrimination:
56 years ago today, a group of South Africans gathered in the township of Sharpeville to protest a law which required black residents to carry an extremely detailed ID card at all times - a grotesque kind of 'internal passport' that kept the population split in two.

Eventually, the police turned up to this demonstration and opened fire on the unarmed crowd, shooting people in the back as they fled.

69 civilians died.

Over the next few months, the South African government then rounded up 18,000 activists and detained them without charge.

This is what happens to a country that completely loses its moral compass.

Dan Andrews, Facebook, March 2016.

Even the most ardent pro-vaccine passport/vaxx certificate advocate would see the many similarities between Dan's criticisms and Australia today.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Here's a persuasive argument against vaccine passports and health discrimination:
56 years ago today, a group of South Africans gathered in the township of Sharpeville to protest a law which required black residents to carry an extremely detailed ID card at all times - a grotesque kind of 'internal passport' that kept the population split in two.

Eventually, the police turned up to this demonstration and opened fire on the unarmed crowd, shooting people in the back as they fled.

69 civilians died.

Over the next few months, the South African government then rounded up 18,000 activists and detained them without charge.

Even the most ardent pro-vaccine passport/vaxx certificate advocate would see the many similarities between Dan's criticisms and Australia today.

No...

Just... no.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)

69 civilians died.

You're cooked.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Coloured South Africans and jews had no choice about their ethnicity. So no there's no comparison.
People who took the vaccine and those that are genuinely unable to take it deserve the right to safely gather without the risks bought by those that choose to put themselves before everyone else.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
^ That's possibly the longest bow-draw I've ever seen. Seems to me your Police, like ours, have mostly stood back & let the protesters have their say, I'm not aware of any shootings, beatings, or disappearings?
Victorian police have shot protestors. Rubber bullets yes, but still shot them with potentially lethal rounds. South African police also opened fire at protestors.
Australians have to carry documents (attesting to their health status), just like the South Africans.
Andrews has split the population in two, with one portion enjoying freedoms and “privileges” denied to others - just like SA.
An elderly protestor in Victoria was bashed to the ground and pepper sprayed for no reason other than their presence at a protest.
Crash tackling a stationary man who was showing no ill intent occurred at a railway station. We still don't know why the police were so brutal.
A pregnant woman was arrested in her home, still in pjs, for thinking (facebook post) about protesting the next day.

Now tell me there are no similarities with the SA situation, or that we are not losing our moral compass as the SA government did.

Last edited:

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Victorian police have shot protestors. Rubber bullets yes, but still shot them with potentially lethal rounds. South African police also opened fire at protestors.
Australians have to carry documents (attesting to their health status), just like the South Africans.
Andrews has split the population in two, with one portion enjoying freedoms and “privileges” denied to others - just like SA.
An elderly protestor in Victoria was bashed to the ground and pepper sprayed for no reason other than their presence at a protest.
Crash tackling a stationary man who was showing no ill intent occurred at a railway station. We still don't know why the police were so brutal.
A pregnant woman was arrested in her home, still in pjs, for thinking (facebook post) about protesting the next day.

Now tell me there are no similarities with the SA situation, or that we are not losing our moral compass as the SA government did.
If you don't hear it from anyone bar Newscorp, Fox or Sky why would anyone think you'd believe or accept it?
Refusing a vaccine or the limitations that come with it does not equate to racial or other segregation. Utter nonsense.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

If you ever fancy a working holiday I recommend Central Otago in the spring: world-class cherries but never enough pickers....

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
A bigger concern for me: people protesting through the streets of Melbourne with a fake gallows, who are making death threats against elected officials.

The reason? They're a pack of chuds who have been sucked down a rabbit hole of conspiracy bullshit, fuelled mostly by Murdoch anti-Labor sentiment.

NSW and Victoria at this point aren't very different in terms of restrictions, but the LNP NSW are basically getting a free ride.