• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Refereeing decisions

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Does world rugby release their “applogies” or are they behind closed doors.
Rennie alluded to them in his rant.
In the washup from last nights refereeing debacle it has been said that world rugby apologised for the binning of AAA against Scotland and said it was an incorrect decision.
Has that been released somewhere? Anyone seen it in writing?

tragic

John Solomon (38)
what was the debacle of last night?

Where did you hear / read about the reversal of the AAA decision?
Won’t go into details about last night yet as it’s a spoiler but there was some controversial decisions. A few of the news articles talking about those decisions mentioned world rugby apologised for the yellow card against Scotland and labelled it incorrect.

“He was unhappiest with TMO Marius Jonker, who'd also had that role when his side lost 15-13 to Scotland at Murrayfield and ruled that prop Allan Ala'alatoa should be yellow carded.
World Rugby subsequently apologised for that binning, saying it had been incorrect. “

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
And here's the issue: in both the Scotland and England games, the Wallabies were hammered post-action by the home broadcaster putting some rubbish up on the big screen during some down time.

Alaatoa v Scotland
Wright v England
Beale v Wales

All results of broadcaster intervention. Discuss.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
And that is a really significant part of this discussion. I have a lot of sympathy for refs in the current framework. But the fact that home broadcasters can and do influence results is a serious issue.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
WR (World Rugby) can do a lot to help themselves by simply maintaining that live sport be live, limit the TV feed on to the big screens at the stadiums, and mandate that replays of decisions live at the ground especially around cards and try's be delayed so it does not allow trial by broadcaster on the big screen screen.

If possible they should also look to having access to their own TV feeds and not have local producer be in control of both access and manipulator of the images.

Its simple move and would have limited impact. pm supporter but overall improve the game.

They also need to look at a "player on report system" where is not clear so games are not slowed, and decisions that are complex can be made with due consideration. They can always issue a yellow nad then look at more after the game.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Does anyone genuinely think that not replaying on big screen would of saved Beale or anyone? I don't think the TMO even is usually in a position to see it is he? We like to think it the big screen but it's the TMO who gets the ref to check.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I thought the Valentini decision was correct.

The high shot on AAA was probably a yellow, but not convinced. Under the tight scrutiny at the moment I wouldn't have been surprised if they actually pinged AAA for the high tackle immediately before.

Beale was a penalty, not a card.

But it was the lack of equivalence between the Beale card and the Wales try that killed me. They were prepared to determine that Beale, who completed the wrap tackle, had an arm in an "unnatural" motion (forgot the term they used but you get the drift). The Welsh bloke had his eyes on the ball, knocked it down, didn't complete the tackle.

Penalty every day of the week.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Does anyone genuinely think that not replaying on big screen would of saved Beale or anyone? I don't think the TMO even is usually in a position to see it is he? We like to think it the big screen but it's the TMO who gets the ref to check.

Pedantic breakdown :)

Game clock:
21:28 Wales take the ball out of the maul and go centrefield for a breakdown
21:36 Wales 9 takes it out of the ruck and gets it to Wales 13 who hares off sideways.
21:40 offload attempt. Ball goes loose. AR is straight on the mic to the ref
21:48 Ref asks "by green?" and right arm out
21:54 Two short pips on the whistle, arm out
21:58 Ref calls "knock on in the tackle. Scrum"
21:59 Big screen replay from side angle starts
22:03 Big screen replay causes crowd to go "AWWWWW!"
22:05 Replay from Welsh end causes crowd to go "
22:10 Time off. Ref calls TMO.

The Broadcaster knows his shit. None of the officials had anything to do with a yellow card or even penalty up to that point.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
A thousand years ago a "Red Card" happened very rarely and usually for abhorrent violent behavior

Now it is used for crowd control and to enforce changes in rugby behavior, it just isn't designed for it

So they either make the Red card, less ie the 20min & replace option or created another card

I prefer the later, I think we need a final sanction that is not diluted and rarely used

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
A thousand years ago a "Red Card" happened very rarely and usually for abhorrent violent behavior

Now it is used for crowd control and to enforce changes in rugby behavior, it just isn't designed for it

So they either make the Red card, less ie the 20min & replace option or created another card

I prefer the later, I think we need a final sanction that is not diluted and rarely used
North won't vote for it. Stodgy, change resistant scum that they are.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I really think they need to change the wording in the laws. They need to include the "purpose rule". Why was the law created? what is the laws objective? If your decision goes against that, then you shouldn't rule that way. For example, a knock-on is to punish poor handling.

They should never have ruled it a knock-back. That was just ridiculous. The ball fell in front of the player and was primarily due to poor handling but maybe it was slightly backwards by the smallest of margins, they still should never have rewarded poor handling with rugby's biggest rewards, a 7 point try.

I feel like these refs are thinking so black and white and are not using common sense.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I really think they need to change the wording in the laws. They need to include the "purpose rule". Why was the law created? what is the laws objective? If your decision goes against that, then you shouldn't rule that way. For example, a knock-on is to punish poor handling.

They should never have ruled it a knock-back. That was just ridiculous. The ball fell in front of the player and was primarily due to poor handling but maybe it was slightly backwards by the smallest of margins, they still should never have rewarded poor handling with rugby's biggest rewards, a 7 point try.

I feel like these refs are thinking so black and white and are not using common sense.

I thought "forward off the hands" meant forward in Rugby.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)

Possibly a hard red for an atrocity; gouging, squirrel grip, king hit, violent conduct to an official, etc. Then a 20 minute red for what we saw last night. Like a team shouldn’t be totally disadvantaged if it takes super slo-mo to adjudicate the indiscretion, whether it be legal or not.
It was a nice gesture from Valetini checking the opposition player was ok, despite the disappointment of being carded.

Last edited:

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

What’s dumb is that like Koroibete, Valetini could well have his charge downgraded and face zero time suspended. So a game down the toilet for nothing.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I thought "forward off the hands" meant forward in Rugby.
I thought a few years ago, it was "deliberate knock down". Basically an intentional move that was only about killing the ball rather than trying to intercept it and you can't hold onto it.
Which would make Beale's tackle fine because he never played at it, but the Welsh player was never in a position to catch it and it was debatable if it rolled forward. Therefore, scrum to the Welsh for Beale's offence and a yellow card for the Welsh instead of a try.