• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Any word on broadcast of this event? Does fox have it or will we get to watch it through World Rugby’s stream?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
On second thought England, Scotland etc compete separately at Comm Games & R7WC, Team GB is only for the Olympics & England qualified them for Tokyo so I'm not really sure what Team GB are doing in Dubai.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
On second thought England, Scotland etc compete separately at Comm Games & R7WC, Team GB is only for the Olympics & England qualified them for Tokyo so I'm not really sure what Team GB are doing in Dubai.

Great Britain will participate in the opening two rounds of the Series in Dubai, as part of the standing agreement to play the calendar year 2021, before reverting to compete as national unions for the remainder of the 2022 Series, with England, Scotland and Wales participating in the men’s Series and England in the women’s series.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
1637645088990.png

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
a very interesting approach isn't it? Lots of rookies, Billy Meakes is just completely odd.

Apparently World Rugby haven't finalised a broadcast deal, so hopefully that means its live streamed on their site.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
With Three years out from the Olympics and great uncertainty over how the programme should proceed based on the Tokyo Olympics this approach doesn't seem unreasonable.

Commit few dollars to it in terms of permanent contracts and bring in a lot of rookies to prove themselves. I agree that Meakes is a strange selection. I assume he'll play as a forward.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
With Three years out from the Olympics and great uncertainty over how the programme should proceed based on the Tokyo Olympics this approach doesn't seem unreasonable.

Commit few dollars to it in terms of permanent contracts and bring in a lot of rookies to prove themselves. I agree that Meakes is a strange selection. I assume he'll play as a forward.
But 8 months til the Comm Games - have we qualified?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
But 8 months til the Comm Games - have we qualified?
Dunno, although (without having added anything up) we probably have via the direct route.

Based on this from back in March:

... will be determined by combined results across HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series 2020 and 2021, and the outcome of various regional qualification tournaments.

The top nine Commonwealth teams, based on series results, will automatically qualify for the men’s competition, excluding the host team England, along with six regional qualifiers, broken down as follows: two from Africa and Asia and one apiece from Oceania and North America.

(it also mentions the women's criteria, but for brevity's sake I won't quote it).

Obviously the complicating factor is most Commonwealth teams didn't play in 2021 (RSA, KEN, CAN and perhaps a few others aside) ... but it probably won't change the outcome too much.

Last edited:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Looks like fox are going to put it on kayo

can you see it in the program? Because this has been reported

“With the action set to kick off this week, it is understood no broadcaster has been confirmed for the opening round as World Rugby continues negotiations.”

While all I can see on Kayo is below

Attachments

• 677BE7C8-F8DC-4C7C-8346-7170F5CB83C0.png
    677BE7C8-F8DC-4C7C-8346-7170F5CB83C0.png
    390.8 KB · Views: 78

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
can you see it in the program? Because this has been reported

“With the action set to kick off this week, it is understood no broadcaster has been confirmed for the opening round as World Rugby continues negotiations.”

While all I can see on Kayo is below

I had a mate check for me (i dont have kayo) & he said that last the Canadian tournaments are still up to watch but nothing for Dubai.

I msg'd on insta Kayo, foxsports, foxrugby, ra, aussie7's & worldrugby7's pages & no one has gotten back to me as yet.

Stan announced they got the rights to the premiership just hours before the 1st game of the season so fingers crossed.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Broadcaster confirmed:

With the action set to kick off this week, they have confirmed it will be available to stream via the HSBC Sevens World Series website & App as well as World Rugby Facebook and YouTube.

MEN’S FIXTURES

Friday 26th November - Australia v Canada (6:00 pm)

Friday 26th November - Australia v France (9:30 pm)

Saturday 27th November - Australia v Fiji (2:30 am)

WOMEN’S FIXTURES

Friday 26th November - Australia v USA (3:48 pm)

Friday 26th November - Australia v Spain (6:50 pm)

Saturday 27th November - Australia v Brazil (4:22 pm)

Saturday 27th November - Australia v France (7:23 pm)

*All times AEDT

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Chris Kuridrani was apparently booked for Dubai with Aussie mens but withdrew due to injury.

yeah right. Saw him in Aussie kit and was trying to work out what was going on. Thought he played for some variation of the Fiji team but I guess it wasn't a binding one.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Agree. Thought they were fantastic. Surpassed my expectations already. Not sure how that US team stands in terms of turnover but they’ve really challenged us of late.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Thought they were going to be rusty but looked pretty slick. USA were really poor though, some players don’t know how to tackle .

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Chris Kuridrani was apparently booked for Dubai with Aussie mens but withdrew due to injury.

Interesting selection, he was good for GPS last year, but definitely lost that 'extra something' he had when playing Super Rugby level rugby, wasn't as quick etc.

I suppose the 7s guys are just trying a few different things at the moment.