• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2022

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Good to get the full 36-player squad announced.
Average age of 26yo.
18 players </= 25 yo.
Liking the mix this year.
Need an experienced #8 backup for Stander.

Read more.......

Attach Coach - Mark Ozich and Forwards Coach - Paul Tito started their 2 week quarantine today.

259160997_4603729312999115_1079732031106875078_n.jpg

Last edited:

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
apart from Wing, I would propose there is not a single position in the squad seems stronger then it was last season. I would offer several units are weaker (eg. centres)
Lock is better with rodda but otherwise largely agree. Force don’t have same quality as brumbies or reds, but that is not a criticism, rather just where the force are at with their rebuild. Centres and fullback to me main gaps in quality compared to reds and brumbies. Need a few of the young guns like Grayson and kuenzel to step up, but TK big loss as not a lot of quality depth in centres with Godwin and kahui the best there which is a worry. Be interesting to see who has the first run at fullback as Kearney big loss there too. Cubelli also very big loss - and need better options then prior..someone like Fines or McDonald to step up. And of course 10 with loss of Miotti another gap given McIntyre been disappointing so far and again relying on latter to turn around or new recruits to step up.

On balance analysis shows BR comments that force have a strong squad cf last year a bit inaccurate when you break it down. Certainly going to need see some players step up this year for Force to do well. To me Force finish mid table that would be a good and realistic target for 2022 for me, with hopefully players coming through to help build depth plus some targeted recruitment for 2023. As props also another area to look for 2023 to build depth given suspect Holmes last year whilst medrano off contract end of 2022. Lot of good foundations being put in place with pathways with what I read on here plus strong financial backing so long term heading in right direction but next season or so may be challenging unless see some players step up and/or address some quality depth gaps in a couple of positions.

Last edited:

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)

Western Force squad: New faces, experience and local talent revealed for Super Rugby Pacific​

Nick Taylor - The West Australian - 22 November 2021

Western Force have unveiled a mix of youth, local talent and experience in their 2022 Super Rugby Pacific squad.
They have lost Test experience in players like former Wallaby Tevita Kuridrani, Argentinian trio Tomas Cubelli, Tomas Lezana and Domingo Miotti and Irish veteran Rob Kearney.
But they still have plenty of international depth among the 28 players retained from last year and in the eight new players, including Wallaby second row Izack Rodda.
Most of the new faces, like scrum-half Isaac Fines-Leleiwasa and prop Harry Lloyd, have joined the Force with multiple years of Super Rugby
experience under their belts.

Coach Tim Sampson said it was always planned to move on some of the older players, brought in to strengthen the side in their first year back in the fully-fledged Super competition.
“Last year, coming back into the proper Super Rugby competition, we wanted some good senior players in the squad,” Sampson said.
“That was part of the strategy. This year we had to make adjustments and balance the squad out a bit more.

Rugby manager Matt Hodgson said retention of local talent was just as crucial as recruitment of new players.
“We have a very promising group of homegrown WA players that have shown fantastic progress over the last couple of years,” Hodgson said.
“They will only improve alongside the new faces at the club.
“One of our major focuses as a club is developing young talent from within WA and Australia to become stars for the Force and eventually on the international stage with the Wallabies."

Read more..........

Last edited:

QPRRF

Frank Nicholson (4)
Lock is better with rodda but otherwise largely agree. Force don’t have same quality as brumbies or reds, but that is not a criticism, rather just where the force are at with their rebuild. Centres and fullback to me main gaps in quality compared to reds and brumbies. Need a few of the young guns like Grayson and kuenzel to step up, but TK big loss as not a lot of quality depth in centres with Godwin and kahui the best there which is a worry. Be interesting to see who has the first run at fullback as Kearney big loss there too. Cubelli also very big loss - and need better options then prior..someone like Fines or McDonald to step up. And of course 10 with loss of Miotti another gap given McIntyre been disappointing so far and again relying on latter to turn around or new recruits to step up.

On balance analysis shows BR comments that force have a strong squad cf last year a bit inaccurate when you break it down. Certainly going to need see some players step up this year for Force to do well. To me Force finish mid table that would be a good and realistic target for 2022 for me, with hopefully players coming through to help build depth plus some targeted recruitment for 2023. As props also another area to look for 2023 to build depth given suspect Holmes last year whilst medrano off contract end of 2022. Lot of good foundations being put in place with pathways with what I read on here plus strong financial backing so long term heading in right direction but next season or so may be challenging unless see some players step up and/or address some quality depth gaps in a couple of

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I

On balance analysis shows BR comments that force have a strong squad cf last year a bit inaccurate when you break it down. Certainly going to need see some players step up this year for Force to do well. To me Force finish mid table that would be a good and realistic target for 2022 for me, with hopefully players coming through to help build depth plus some targeted recruitment for 2023. As props also another area to look for 2023 to build depth given suspect Holmes last year whilst medrano off contract end of 2022. Lot of good foundations being put in place with pathways with what I read on here plus strong financial backing so long term heading in right direction but next season or so may be challenging unless see some players step up and/or address some quality depth gaps in a couple of positions.
I will stick with my prediction RN. The Force have a very impressive forward pack and the potential in the backline is exciting. On top of that, they have one of the better coaches leading the way. Time will tell.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I

I will stick with my prediction RN. The Force have a very impressive forward pack and the potential in the backline is exciting. On top of that, they have one of the better coaches leading the way. Time will tell.

Time will indeed tell. Like I said backline is the concern for me, so lets hope some backs step up this year as they will need to...9, 10, 12, 13, 15 (wings are good).

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think all the teams, at full strength, are pretty damn strong. But it’s once a few injuries happen then the squad gets tested.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
backline is the concern for me, so lets hope some backs step up this year as they will need to...9, 10, ...
IMO the halves can, compared to last year.

Cubelli is Cubelli but Fines-Leleiwasa is also a player I already rate. My *fearless* career prediction is this bloke is a future wallaby 9.

Flyhalf was not a strong suit for the Force in 2021. Just my opinion. There were occasional good performances from the 10s, including Miotti, but really nothing special. Keen to see which way the coaches go next year and how the new guys adapt to playing regular supe.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
IMO the halves can, compared to last year.

Cubelli is Cubelli but Fines-Leleiwasa is also a player I already rate. My *fearless* career prediction is this bloke is a future wallaby 9.

He’s 3 years older than McDermott and Lonergan so that’s a massive call. A very good player regardless.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
That's why I made it.

Can match the speed of Tate, with, imo, better fundamentals.

Lonergan is a promising nine, who - even though I've seen many of his games - I'm not yet making a call on.

Some players, straight away, show a next-level vibe (subjective, I know). He's one that I can't get a read on for that. So I sit on the fence.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
That's why I made it.

Lonergan is a promising nine, who - even though I've seen many of his games - I'm not yet making a call on.

Some players, straight away, show a next-level vibe (subjective, I know). He's one that I can't get a read on for that. So I sit on the fence.
I'm not so sure about better fundamentals, but I do think that the more important Tate becomes to the wallabies the better Fines-Leleiwasa's chance of winning a few caps is, at least for the next few years. He'd be the only other half back in Australia who can bring that pace to the game in the situation that Tate gets injured. Needs to get a hell of a lot more time on the field at 9 at super rugby level though, ended up playing a lot of wing for the brumbies off the bench and I'm not sure he's ever even started a super rugby game.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I'm not so sure about better fundamentals, but I do think that the more important Tate becomes to the wallabies the better Fines-Leleiwasa's chance of winning a few caps is, at least for the next few years. He'd be the only other half back in Australia who can bring that pace to the game in the situation that Tate gets injured. Needs to get a hell of a lot more time on the field at 9 at super rugby level though, ended up playing a lot of wing for the brumbies off the bench and I'm not sure he's ever even started a super rugby game.
Fair points.

From the roster, it's not impossible that IFL catches Ryan for super rugby starts, though, in around 7 months time.

Tazzmania

Ted Thorn (20)
I believe that the Force backline is where the most improvement will be seen this year.

It is a lot younger and has a lot less experience, but will be hungrier and I believe with Mark Ozich coaching them they may have a few "new moves" to play out.

Cubelli, Kearney and Kurindrani is a lot of experience to lose, however as mentioned above Fines is itching to show his wares and with Maetele and Pulu on the wings there will be a lot more pace and potential game breakers out wide.

The centres and flyhalf last year where solid but not spectacular in breaking the line, so this year I beleive Kahui, Godwin and McIntyre are level par with last year, however, Pasitoa and Kunzel will lift them over last years level steady line.

At fullback I see Ralston, McGregor and Straughn showing what they learned from Kearney last year and stepping up a bit more

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
That's why I made it.

Like I said going to need a few backs to step up next year if force going to challenge reds and brumbies like BR stated. That is the difference - reds and brumbies largely have all proven quality top notch super rugby backline players whilst force relying on lot of previous fringe (fines, kuenzele, pasitoa) or so so performing super rugby players (McIntyre, McGregor, Strahan ) to step up a gear. Some might, some might not. Guess we shall see but if I was a betting man I know where I would put my money.

Don’t get me wrong I hope the force exceed expectations but this is me giving my view on where I see the squad which I think is a fair view.

pps keen to see how players like fines, kuenzele and pasitoa go with more game time

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Looking at the mix of players and the previous insights on how Hodgo works within the salary cap and the WF remuneration model I would think that the WF would have some room for a couple of extra players.
Will be interesting to see what unfolds.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Force need Pulu and Mataele firing because the centres have lost some firepower. Kahui is a good communicator but a Godwin/kahui combination is solid but not dynamic. Hopefully they can be the ship steerers and get Pulu and Mataele unleashed.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Kahui/Godwin is not much different to this year. Tevita started the year strongly but not long into the season there were calls for him to be replaced through poor form.

I think with all of Pasitoa, Kuenzle and Tapine coming into the squad, there is a lot more depth there now. I think they'll go well in 22.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Kahui/Godwin is not much different to this year. Tevita started the year strongly but not long into the season there were calls for him to be replaced through poor form.

I think with all of Pasitoa, Kuenzle and Tapine coming into the squad, there is a lot more depth there now. I think they'll go well in 22.
I still don't think that there is an ounce of evidence to suggest Kuenzle and Tapine are improvements on Taefu and Kuridrani. Nothing they have done can suggest that. Literally living on hopes and dreams until we actually see it.