• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
He played 111 games, including finals, in 5 years at the Storm, so roughly 22 games a year on average. The NRL season is 25 games plus finals. So without going into the finer details, he played 80% of games when in the NRL.

I think that's a good sign.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yeah, he's spoken about things being a bit simpler in league on terms of his fitness requirements and how he's still adjusting to rugby increased demand on things like kicking, and the training load associated. Hopefully he'll be much more solid with a year and a proper off/pre-season under his belt.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Suliasi Vunivalu:

2016 - 21 games (didn't make debut until round 7)
2017 - 26 games
2018 - 23 games
2019 - 24 games
2020 - 17 games

Total - 111 games

So overall his injury history is really good. The one problematic bit is that his last season of NRL featured the most time missed due to injury (which were both hamstring injuries) and those hamstring issues happened at least twice in 2021.

So there is definitely an issue now with recurring hamstring issues. You'd hope there is a plan around how to prevent those in the future. There are a number of players who have had recurring hamstring issues which were eventually resolved by changing their training regimen.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Hamstring issues very often relate to back issues. Sometimes curable, sometimes, sadly not. I've known a couple of pretty handy players who had careers cut short through recurring hamstring issues, and in each case it was related to a back problem

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Hamstring issues very often relate to back issues. Sometimes curable, sometimes, sadly not. I've known a couple of pretty handy players who had careers cut short through recurring hamstring issues, and in each case it was related to a back problem
Is it a transition to Rugby thing? I have hazy memories or Timina Tahu (spelling???) having massive breakdown issues after being reliable in League as well

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Is it a transition to Rugby thing? I have hazy memories or Timina Tahu (spelling???) having massive breakdown issues after being reliable in League as well

I would have thought wingers in league would be going from static to explosive more frequently, which in turn means they're more likely to strain something.

Even a winger in rugby has more active involvements, entering a few rucks, shifting in the defensive line etc.

I have absolutely no scientific reasoning behind that other than my own observations.

Reactions: dru

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
He's not in my 2023 RWC squad as I personally think he'll return to the NRL in 2023

I hope he doesn't, but I honestly think he's a decent chance of signing with the Dolphins.

He'll be off contract and it's a low risk move from both parties, but at the same time gives the Dolphins a Premiership winning winger, and they'd likely offer him a longer contract than what he may get from RA/QRU if he doesn't perform to the level of his price tag this year.

Reactions: dru

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Would NRL pay a million buks a year for him? Seems unlikely.

If we offer the same money he'll stay put I think.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Probably not a million, but who knows. It's a new franchise, no players signed, more and more 'marquee' level signings opting to stay put. They'll have the cash to do it. I just think it would be an option floated heavily by his manager, especially if his dodgy hammy keep bothering him and he's able to secure a 4 or 5 year deal.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Rugby league wingers aren’t worth much, lowest paid in the starting 13 usually. It’s why they all try and shift to centre, fullback or play rugby union.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
When you look at the 'towards 2023' element of the question, and with the RWC only 21 months away, here's my crack at the 33-man squad (it's been increased since 2019). Be staggered if I hit 75% the way we churn players, but you never know...

Prop: Ala'alatoa, Bell, Fa'amausili, Robertson, Slipper, Tupou (6)
Hooker: Latu, McInerney, Paenga-Amosa(3)
Lock: Arnold, Rodda, Skelton, Swain (4)
Backrow: Hanigan, Hooper, Leota, McMahon, McReight, Valetini (6)
Scrumhalf: R. Lonergan, McDermott, White (3)
Flyhalf: Cooper, Lolesio (2)
Centre: Ikitau, Kerevi, Paisami (3)
Outside Backs: Hodge, Kellaway, Koroibete, Perese, Petaia, Wright (6)

No room for Beale, JOC (James O'Connor), Fainga'a (Colby or Folau!), R.Lonergan, Kaitu'u, Uelese, Wilson, Samu, Daugunu, Hoskins, Banks, Foketi, Simone, Gordon, Swinton among others!
RY it will be interesting to track your selections over the next couple of Super Rugby Seasons, assuming they take place. Overall, I reckon you could be more than 75% correct.

The changes I'd make would be:

Folau Fainga'a in place of Latu. FF (Folau Fainga'a) was the most used hooker in the EOYT tests and generally got the basics of the job done. His lineout throwing was at least on par and likely better than his competition. He is still the best at the back of the rolling maul (imo). The Wallaby scrum was generally competitive with all the opposition; any weakness could probably be attributed to missing first and second choice props. His defence was top notch; seems to have got the grasscutters out of his system and against Wales pulled off two gems to stop tries. OTH Latu still brought out the grasscutter tackle, and almost single handedly allowed Wales to score their first try.

I would seriously consider HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) in place of Faumasili at prop. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) the better scrummager, plays on both sides, while Faumasili could be a wrecking ball in attack. Close call.

I would definitely have Matt Philip in the squad in place of one of Arnold or Skelton. Lock was not a weak spot before the European tests. Hosea and Frost very much in the picture as well as development players.

Swinton and one other (FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner)?) in place of Hanigan and McMahon.

Duagunu and Banks in the outside backs. Time to call it a day for Tom Wright I think - not at all impressed with his defence nor his attitude. Petaia might be other one to miss out if he can't overcome his injury propensity.

Definite 5 changes for my liking (15%) with a few other maybes.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Probably not a million, but who knows. It's a new franchise, no players signed, more and more 'marquee' level signings opting to stay put. They'll have the cash to do it. I just think it would be an option floated heavily by his manager, especially if his dodgy hammy keep bothering him and he's able to secure a 4 or 5 year deal.
How does he perform in front of the media?

I think a key ingredient in a marquee signing for a new club would be skills in front of a camera so that he can get much needed publicity.

I have never seen him interviewed, would he be up to the task of being the face of a new team?

This is how to calculate his value

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Vunivalu's aerial ability in attack is what really sets him apart in my eyes. The Reds used it a few times last year and if they can keep getting it right, teams will need to start planning for that when they're deep in their half. Which in turn, will open up the field for the rest of the team.

At his best, Vunivalu is one of the best attacking players in rugby, at his worst, he's got hammys made of glass and misses too many games. A happy middle ground would be nice.
His salary demands more than middle ground. 2022 needs to be the year he brings it home because we are in deficit on that investment thus far.

Last edited:

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
How does he perform in front of the media?

I think a key ingredient in a marquee signing for a new club would be skills in front of a camera so that he can get much needed publicity.

I have never seen him interviewed, would he be up to the task of being the face of a new team?

This is how to calculate his value
Yeh I don’t see him as a marquee player for any team. My point was more the Dolphins have cash in their pockets and keep missing the big signings.

If that keeps happening, signing a player with good NRL caliber (like playing for the Storm) and one who they know can score tries, becomes a higher priority, therefore more money for Vuni.

This is all speculation, very much off-season chat! Just saying it’s all possible.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
His salary demands more than middle ground. 2022 needs to be the year he brings it home because we are in deficit on that investment thus far.
Like all good players, if he is fit there is no reason to believe that he wont perform at a high level.

I wonder if any experimentation will happen with him positionally?

He had indicated a long time ago that he was interested in being a centre

Could be interesting

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Outside centre or fullback. On the wing he can have a roaming commission. Similar skills to Folau.