• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2022

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I still don't think that there is an ounce of evidence to suggest Kuenzle and Tapine are improvements on Taefu and Kuridrani. Nothing they have done can suggest that. Literally living on hopes and dreams until we actually see it.
Same can be said for any newbie in any squad, Shirley?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I still don't think that there is an ounce of evidence to suggest Kuenzle and Tapine are improvements on Taefu and Kuridrani. Nothing they have done can suggest that. Literally living on hopes and dreams until we actually see it.
Yep…nothing wrong with hopes and dreams but that is what they are ie hoping for what were previously fringe players to improve and make the step up.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yep…nothing wrong with hopes and dreams but that is what they are ie hoping for what were previously fringe players to improve and make the step up.
Yes I hope and dream they will to, but hopes and dreams they are. There are posts in this forum that say the position and depth IS now stronger then it was. I don't see evidence of that. I can only hope that it WILL be.
Same can be said for any newbie in any squad, Shirley?
100%

My comment is in response to those who are saying that the squad IS stronger and DOES have better depth. We won't actually know this until they start playing and actually get a chance to perform as they are newbies and there is no evidence to support such a claim...yet.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Kahui/Godwin is not much different to this year. Tevita started the year strongly but not long into the season there were calls for him to be replaced through poor form.

I think with all of Pasitoa, Kuenzle and Tapine coming into the squad, there is a lot more depth there now. I think they'll go well in 22.
I really thought TK played pretty well for them. His defensive efforts were rock solid and he was never given any ball in attack (none of them were).

But eh - he's gone now so whatevs.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I really thought TK played pretty well for them. His defensive efforts were rock solid
Correct.

Absolutely smashed Paisami. The suspension did cool the last third of TK's season, though. Obviously Hunter got a 12/13 gig in gold and Tevita cashed out for euros.

and he was never given any ball in attack (none of them were).
This is even more correct.

The 2021 backline was non-functioning in attack, phase after phase after phase. Let's not pretend otherwise.

Other than individual injections from the likes of fast shoe Olowofela or maybe a touch from old man Kahui, It was gouge-your-own-eyes-out bad.

Last edited:

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Correct.

Absolutely smashed Paisami. The suspension did cool the last third of TK's season, though. Obviously Hunter got a 12/13 gig in gold and Tevita cashed out for euros.

The 2021 backline was non-functioning in attack, phase after phase after phase. Let's not pretend otherwise.

Other than individual injections from the likes of fast shoe Olowofela or maybe a touch from old man Kahui, It was gouge-your-own-eyes-out bad.
I tend to agree with Forcefan that they must have salary cap spare and be looking for quality proven super rugby backs for centres and fullback. As anyone saying ‘at this point’ there is not depth gaps for the backline is kidding themselves. Challenge of course is finding and competing for those against European and Japanese clubs. Hopefully a couple of players can also step up to fill those gaps but big ask to expect so many previously fringe players to magically all step up this year. Back to hopes and dreams which ok for fans but not for force management so expect they are still looking far and wide for options to address these backline depth gaps.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Correct.

Shouldn't be too hard then for the backline full of young, energetic, talented, keen as mustard, albeit inexperienced in comparison, players to outshine their immediate predecessors.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I tend to agree with Forcefan that they must have salary cap spare and be looking for quality proven super rugby backs for centres and fullback. As anyone saying ‘at this point’ there is not depth gaps for the backline is kidding themselves. Challenge of course is finding and competing for those against European and Japanese clubs. Hopefully a couple of players can also step up to fill those gaps but big ask to expect so many previously fringe players to magically all step up this year. Back to hopes and dreams which ok for fans but not for force management so expect they are still looking far and wide for options to address these backline depth gaps.
Pasitoa has never really been a fringe player. He is very young but has been hailed since his schoolboys days by many Reds fans here as a future champion.

Kuenzle is underestimated by just about everybody who hasn't watched him turn out for the Brumbies. He filled in for Noah Lolesio in quite a number of games this year, and arguably played at or near to the same level as the Wallaby No 10-in-waiting. Offers a different range of skills but he'll do the job at either 10 or 12 wherever he is selected. Probably plays flatter than Noah, has better defence, a strong kicking game and probably just as good at goal kicking.

Inside them will be Fines-Leleiwasa who is a very exciting prospect at a time when there are quite a few talented No 9s coming to the fore. I won't be at all surprised if Issak makes his way into the Wallaby squad leading into RWC23.

I reckon they'll give some teams a big surprise next year. Look out Tahs and Rebels.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think the Tahs backline is better if im being honest, and i dont like the Tahs. They’re probably a season ahead of the Force backs in terms of development and experience as well.

Not saying they’re bad players, i just don’t agree that Kuenzle, Pasitoa, Finesa-Leleiwasa are a step up from Cubelli, Kuridrani, Miotti and Kearney In the short term, i see it a longer term investment.. which is a positive..

Last edited:

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think the Tahs backline is better if im being honest, and i dont like the Tahs. They’re probably a season ahead of the Force backs in terms of development and experience as well.

Not saying they’re bad players, i just don’t agree that Kuenzle, Pasitoa, Finesa-Leleiwasa are a step up from Cubelli, Kuridrani, Miotti and Kearney In the short term, i see it a longer term investment.
All of those are fine young players with lot of potential. Just need a couple of more experienced quality proven backs to give them time to develop. Wonder what players would be in the market…as I don’t buy it force not looking for a couple more quality backs , but they are not easy to find given cashed up Japanese and European clubs competing against.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Pasitoa has never really been a fringe player. He is very young but has been hailed since his schoolboys days by many Reds fans here as a future champion.

Kuenzle is underestimated by just about everybody who hasn't watched him turn out for the Brumbies. He filled in for Noah Lolesio in quite a number of games this year, and arguably played at or near to the same level as the Wallaby No 10-in-waiting. Offers a different range of skills but he'll do the job at either 10 or 12 wherever he is selected. Probably plays flatter than Noah, has better defence, a strong kicking game and probably just as good at goal kicking.

Inside them will be Fines-Leleiwasa who is a very exciting prospect at a time when there are quite a few talented No 9s coming to the fore. I won't be at all surprised if Issak makes his way into the Wallaby squad leading into RWC23.

I reckon they'll give some teams a big surprise next year. Look out Tahs and Rebels.
BR I think it’s time you jump ship to the Force. You’re really cutting Lolesio in half here.
Don’t get me wrong the Force are a likeable outfit and my second preference of the AU comp.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

It honestly wouldn't very surprising at all if they beat the Tahs and Rebels.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Great to see Harry Lloyd back on the training track in the West.
Ozich and Tito come out of quarantine today to add some zing to the pre-season.

262514181_4634155256623187_8749511344673131989_n.jpg

Welcome lads!

Last edited:

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)

Western Force scramble for pre-season games, waiting for new Super Rugby draw, amid border restrictions​

Nick Taylor - The West Australian - 16 December 2021

Westen Force’s build-up for the new Super Rugby Pacific competition has been hit by COVID border restrictions as they wait for a revamped fixture list.
A trial match against the Reds in Geraldton on February 4, the day before WA border restrictions are relaxed, has been cancelled because the Queenslanders cannot not get into the state.

Meanwhile five clubs have been relegated from the RugbyWA Premiership competition to the Championship grade in a major re-shuffle of the local game.
Two, Southern Lions and ARKs, were dropped after breaches of competition rules last season.
Curtin University, who took heavy beatings and finished bottom of the premiership ladder without a win last year, have moved back into the Championship.
They have been joined by Rockingham and Mandurah who last year played as joint Premiership venture Coastal Cavaliers that has now been scrapped.

Read more.........

Last edited:

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Western Force scramble for pre-season games, waiting for new Super Rugby draw, amid border restrictions​

Nick Taylor - The West Australian - 16 December 2021

Westen Force’s build-up for the new Super Rugby Pacific competition has been hit by COVID border restrictions as they wait for a revamped fixture list.
A trial match against the Reds in Geraldton on February 4, the day before WA border restrictions are relaxed, has been cancelled because the Queenslanders cannot not get into the state.

Meanwhile five clubs have been relegated from the RugbyWA Premiership competition to the Championship grade in a major re-shuffle of the local game.
Two, Southern Lions and ARKS, were dropped after breaches of competition rules last season.
Curtin University, who took heavy beatings and finished bottom of the premiership ladder without a win last year, have moved back into the Championship.
They have been joined by Rockingham and Mandurah who last year played as joint Premiership venture Coastal Cavaliers that has now been scrapped.

Read more.........
So how many clubs does that leave in wa premiership competition for next year?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
So how many clubs does that leave in wa premiership competition for next year?
Had 14 sides the last few years. Providing no more changes than in the article, it looks like 10:

1. Associates
2. Cottesloe
3. Palmyra
4. Wests Scarbs
5. Joondalup
6. Nedlands
7. UWA
8. Kalamunda
9. Wanneroo
10. Southern Lions
11. Perth Bayswater
12. Coastal Cavaliers (Rockingham and Mandurah)*
13. Curtin Uni
14. ARKs

* Joint venture

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
Had 14 sides the last few years. Providing no more changes than in the article, it looks like 10:

1. Associates
2. Cottesloe
3. Palmyra
4. Wests Scarbs
5. Joondalup
6. Nedlands
7. UWA
8. Kalamunda
9. Wanneroo
10. Southern Lions
11. Perth Bayswater
12. Coastal Cavaliers (Rockingham and Mandurah)*
13. Curtin Uni
14. ARKs

* Joint venture
Also known as the Premier Comp prior to expansion. For those who don't know WA this is a bit like the Shute kicking out all teams in the Western Suburbs. The furthest south club will be Palmyra, whose field is on the southern bank of the Swan River.