• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2022

Super Rugby 2022

• Go Blues

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Go cantabs

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go other NZ team.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Go Force

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • Go Tahs

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • Go Brumbies

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go Reds

Votes: 30 31.9%
  • Go Rebs

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • Go new PI teams

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Go any team that plays the cantabs

Votes: 12 12.8%

• Total voters

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
NZ Hurld & stuff.co.nz both reporting a revised draw will drop tomorrow, obviously with all the derbies up first & trans-Tasman fixtures towards the end but still starting & ending on the scheduled dates.

Anzac weekend super round looks like a good fit. There is actually only 2 afl & 1 nrl game that whole weekend in melbourne & none of them would actually clash with the whole round. The only other afl game in victoria is at 1.45 out in Ballarat.

Hopefully get the chance to have a beer with you all at the precinct hotel in richmond over that weekend. Sneaky hotel in Southbank may been to be booked.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Sounds like poo coated poo with poo filling
Yeah. That Tasman Turd just wont flush!

But the silver lining: SRAU MKII.

I say let just get the 3 NRC type teams up and running. One up north (QLD) and 2x drawn from down south and west (Canberra, Melbourne and WA and even some Pacific / Fiji players and ring-ins). An 8 team SRAU could be sufficient to start.

[Yes, I excluded NSW as it will take them years to get their collective shite together to work out which Shute Shield team to put in ........]

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I hope there is some plans being made to allow for games that will have to be postponed/forfeited because of covid. Already happened in soccer in Aus I see, and we would be a little naive to not think it will happen during super.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah. That Tasman Turd just wont flush!

But the silver lining: SRAU MKII.

I say let just get the 3 NRC type teams up and running. One up north (QLD) and 2x drawn from down south and west (Canberra, Melbourne and WA and even some Pacific / Fiji players and ring-ins). An 8 team SRAU could be sufficient to start.

[Yes, I excluded NSW as it will take them years to get their collective shite together to work out which Shute Shield team to put in ........]
:D I guess you going to write out the $30 mill checque for the said teams mst??
I aked one of the fellas at golf how he was going to run a comp yesterady when he said similar about how happy he was if no Aus teams, but funnily enough wasn't up there with too many suggestions how it would get paid for.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I aked one of the fellas at golf how he was going to run a comp yesterady when he said similar about how happy he was if no Aus teams, but funnily enough wasn't up there with too many suggestions how it would get paid for.
Can you give a breakdown of where it gets paid for now?

A list like this:
1. Payer, amount,
2. Payer, amount, ...

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Mate. we will just blindly follow you Kiwi's as always!

Hi Silverlake.........

As per above, care to share the details about the current funding and revenue sources?

Be good to if you can also include how we funded the NRC teams previously. Feel free to pick any of them as they were all run under private licences and not by RA. :D

Sheepie

Sydney Middleton (9)
One match for the Tahs that was scheduled for the SCG under the old schedule is now TBC, despite being against the same team at the same time on the same date.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Can you give a breakdown of where it gets paid for now?

A list like this:
1. Payer, amount,
2. Payer, amount, ...
No mate, just I recall that MP (Moana Pasifika) and Drua were saying they needed $10mill a year. So guessed that is about what any team needs, give or take a couple of mill.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Mate. we will just blindly follow you Kiwi's as always!

Hi Silverlake.........

As per above, care to share the details about the current funding and revenue sources?

Be good to if you can also include how we funded the NRC teams previously. Feel free to pick any of them as they were all run under private licences and not by RA. :D
I was talking about super au teams , and as I said in post above supposedly what it costs. NRC is obviously a lot cheaper per team, and could be done, as wages etc are nowhere as high, and many players were not paid as I believe super players it was part of their contract to play NRC? Anyway that's what MP (Moana Pasifika) and Drua were saying what they needed to play super. Maybe be costs can be cut.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Anyway new draw announced, seems Anzac weekend games in Melbourne.
So I still doubt whether it will stay the same, but it's how it starts anyway. Feel for MP (Moana Pasifika) a bit

Last edited:

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I was talking about super au teams , and as I said in post above supposedly what it costs. NRC is obviously a lot cheaper per team, and could be done, as wages etc are nowhere as high, and many players were not paid as I believe super players it was part of their contract to play NRC? Anyway that's what MP (Moana Pasifika) and Drua were saying what they needed to play super. Maybe be costs can be cut.
No you were not! You made a blanket statement and played the man all at once: I guess you going to write out the $30 mill checque for the said teams mst??

Even in your attempt to back away from your words you still try to use you don't help yourself by using more Super Rugby reference which are irrelevant; as you tried to explain in trying to back away.

But lets give you the benefit of the doubt and see if this time, as per requested by Kiap and myself, you can provided reference to the information you keep using. Either where you get the $30mil from, or even the MP (Moana Pasifika) and Drua information you cite.

And at least have the internal fortitude to own your your words for once please. :rolleyes:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Sorry mst, but I thought you were saying that super AU with 3 extra teams was going to be up and running? SRAU is surely that isn't it? But if you were suggesting a NRC, well of course that different, I was suggeting to get another 3 teams someone has to some up with 30 mill or a good part of it as RA probably not in a position to do it. And this is your post, saying super AU is it not? as I said NRC would be a lot cheaper, as players aren't paid as much from past experience anyway.
Your post not mine:
"But the silver lining: SRAU MKII.

I say let just get the 3 NRC type teams up and running. One up north (QLD) and 2x drawn from down south and west (Canberra, Melbourne and WA and even some Pacific / Fiji players and ring-ins). An 8 team SRAU could be sufficient to start."

I asking who would pay for these 3 teams.
As for costs.
I read that was what the costs that MP (Moana Pasifika) and Drua were to come up with last year to be financially able get a license to compete.

This is one I just found
25/02/2021 — The Fiji Rugby Union needs to raise $NZ10 million by the end of March to keep its Super Rugby dream alive.
I don't take a write up as gospel by any means but I have seen on Breakdown etc when they were trying to get licences to play.

I know the I saw Iceman Jones and BeeGee Williams saying thats what they needed last year. I sure don't keep links to them! .
Even the salary cap is $4.8 mill a year, so I would guess the rest of costs would go very close to doubling it!

But if these figures are wrong, by all mean show let me know . And if we can magically find 3 twams and money ro pay them in RA's budget, I sure be interested to see your figures.

Last edited:
Reactions: mst

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
This change to the fixture is nothing short of a disaster. Seriously disappointing, super round on ANZAC weekend in Melbourne is the most brain dead fixture I have ever seen. The AFL will expect 180k minimum across the ANZAC Eve and ANZAC day clash next door at the MCG. There will be no parking a lot of people have split allegiances

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
This change to the fixture is nothing short of a disaster. Seriously disappointing, super round on ANZAC weekend in Melbourne is the most brain dead fixture I have ever seen. The AFL will expect 180k minimum across the ANZAC Eve and ANZAC day clash next door at the MCG. There will be no parking a lot of people have split allegiances

AFL will be disappointed that all the parking is taken up by rugby fans then….

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

Obviously you have had your angry pills again & not done your research.

Not a single game clashes with any afl game in melbourne the whole weekend. There is 1 afl game in Ballarat at 1.10 on saturday afternoon & the only other games are at 7.40 on sunday night after the rebels & crusaders game & then on monday essendon v collingwood then its followed by the storm v the warriors.

The victorian govt have paid a lot of money to host the event after loosing 95% of all events they would normally host over the past 2 years & this round was put at this weekend for a reason being to bring ppl to melbourne.

Parking is never an issue at rebels games ever & any person who has lived in the city knows that unless your from glen waverly to doncaster area that public transport the easiest & most efficient way to get to Aami park/MCG/Rod Laver. If you must drive the mcg car park will be open & the Rebels game starts 3 hours before the rich v melb game will giving you ample to to get in & out.