• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
All this talk of Mack Hansen is kinda ridiculous. Did anybody talk about him being a great talent before he went to Ireland? He was kept on the bench at the Brumbies by Tom Banks, who despite his Wallaby caps isn't that great. If nobody had said anything, would we have noticed Mack Hansen left Super Rugby?

I don't think Hansen is as great as Donaldson could pan out to be.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How is it a failing of the coaches?

It was obvious to everyone last year that they were a young squad who lost their heads and composure at times, a senior player like this could add value to the team in that regard.
If he was on the field. A 35 year old Jamie Roberts should not be good enough to play for the Waratahs. If it’s off field guidance needed, then that’s what coaches are for.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
All this talk of Mack Hansen is kinda ridiculous. Did anybody talk about him being a great talent before he went to Ireland? He was kept on the bench at the Brumbies by Tom Banks, who despite his Wallaby caps isn't that great. If nobody had said anything, would we have noticed Mack Hansen left Super Rugby?

I don't think Hansen is as great as Donaldson could pan out to be.
Well, personally I believe he is better than Banks and said as much several times. I think he should have been Brumbies first choice 15.

But the Brumbies coaches, and almost everyone else as far as I can see, thought otherwise.

In any case, it doesn’t make the Tahs responsible for his loss and he certainly isn’t an irreplaceable player in the Australian rugby landscape.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
If he was on the field. A 35 year old Jamie Roberts should not be good enough to play for the Waratahs. If it’s off field guidance needed, then that’s what coaches are for.
I don’t know what sort of form Roberts is at but a 36 year old Johnny Sexton is still good enough to play for Ireland. .... and the Waratahs are not Ireland. I think it is a good signing as a back up and his experience will help the young squad.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
He wouldn’t be in my starting XV. If the young guys need a mentor that bad then it’s a failing of the coaching squad.
Yeh well the tahs where they are need a player like Robert’s imo. Given wing stocks a little weak it may make sense to move perese to the wing and have Foketi and Roberts in the centres. To my mind Roberts would be in the 23 at least and having more experienced player like him in the 23 would make sense at this point. I think it is more the need for more experienced players is the need given lot of less experienced players in the backline, pro rugby wise.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Is he not good enough because he is 35, or based on what you’ve seen of him this season?

if his role is injury cover and coming off the bench, I think he would be quality experience in the backline in closing out matches.

i also think there can be off-field benefits in having highly experienced players around the team, beyond what the coaches offer.

Last edited:

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
SMH reporting that former Wale and BIL centre, Jamie Roberts is joining Tahs to cover Joey Walton who is out with a season-ending knee injury.
Just no, you give another kid an opportunity or sign a dominant, experienced starter - he ain't either anymore

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It is kind of shit we don't have a New South Welshman ready to take the opportunity afforded by injury and instead need a retiree.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Sure in an ideal world you'd go for local talent where available, but I don't think this is the end of the world, and I reckon if the local talent had been knocking the door down, they'd have been picked.