• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think it’s hard to comment on his value, we don’t exactly know what he did, and what he did do was behind close doors for the most part.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
What we can see is a national team being coached by a professional who is developing a good style of play and a strong player base. No histrionics.
All good and well but we need to consider the results. It’s not as pretty as we had hoped for. I guess we’ll just refer to it as ‘building’.

Last edited:

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
I think it’s hard to comment on his value, we don’t exactly know what he did, and what he did do was behind close doors for the most part.
He was in NZ in 2019 to watch the Australian U18’s having jumped on a plane from Tokyo between RWC matches for the Wallabies. Had a chat to him and said he thought it was important to have a look at the next age group after signing quite a few of the U20’s from the 2019 Junior RWC. He was only there for the day before heading back to Tokyo, said he wanted to see them in match conditions against top opposition.

He was part of getting the pathways aligned ( Academies ) and the new coaching group together , all with an eye on the future. With that done , job done .

That’s enough for me .

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
He was in NZ in 2019 to watch the Australian U18’s having jumped on a plane from Tokyo between RWC matches for the Wallabies. Had a chat to him and said he thought it was important to have a look at the next age group after signing quite a few of the U20’s from the 2019 Junior RWC. He was only there for the day before heading back to Tokyo, said he wanted to see them in match conditions against top opposition.

He was part of getting the pathways aligned ( Academies ) and the new coaching group together , all with an eye on the future. With that done , job done .

That’s enough for me .
shame it takes an individual to come in and make that shift, hopefully that mentality has become culturally engrained now and doesn’t require someone there to champion it

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Cadbury CEO talking all things, good passion but might have to remind him the Cook Cup already exists
Cadbury this year replaced Qantas as the sponsor of the Australian Wallabies rugby union team, a deal which O’Brien says has exceeded expectations, driven by the improved on-field performance of the team.

He now wants the three-Test series against England in Australia next year to be played for the John Cadbury Cup.

“My vision would be that whoever loses has to put a significant amount of money into community rugby in the other country. Just to put a bit of spice into the competition,” he says.

The Australian - Glass half full for Cadbury Australia chief
Friday, Dec 10, 2021

Jeffrey

Chris McKivat (8)
Having spent a bit of time in Japan myself, it really is a lovely country. I can understand why so many people are drawn to it, and I've always wondered if I should retire in Japan.

Here's a clip of Bernard Foley in collaboration with Kyushu's tourism board, filmed by a fairly popular YouTuber - I think she's Australian?
But it gives a little glimpse into the beautiful scenery of Kyushu featured - the stunning area around the volcanic Mt Aso, the steamy exterior (unlike no other) of Beppu, the local sandbaths, and a local rugby scene that is able to attract more and more young kids to participate.

Last edited:

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Having spent a bit of time in Japan myself, it really is a lovely country. I can understand why so many people are drawn to it, and I've always wondered if I should retire in Japan.
I lived and worked as an expatriate for many years, mainly in Hong Kong, but also in Thailand. I was single for those years, on a pretty good expat package, with all the perks including health benefits. When I reached retirement age I seriously thought about retiring in Hong Kong. In the light of recent political events, I am glad I didn't.

As it turned out when I finally returned to settle permanently in Australia I was introduced by some Thai friends to a young woman, and after a few months we were married. I always assumed that she and I would return to live in Thailand, because her roots are there, friends and family, and I am a good few years older than her.

Again, as it turned out, we decided to stay here and are very glad we did. Apart from political and financial stability Australia has a very good health system, with pretty good safety nets of all kinds. We have good, stable, easy to manage investments.

Leaving aside the financial questions of being able to support yourself in a foreign country, the biggest issue is the cost and availability of health cover. Most expat health cover ceases to be available at 80.

My advice would be, if you decide to retire in a foreign country, make sure you have some sort of return option.