• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
It was very interesting to watch the rugby public's opinion of Amy change from "gee she's a good female touchie/ref" to "gee she's a good ref".
Perhaps it's just my reading of the various tv commentators over the years and my own opinion, but Amy was being judged solely on her professionalism for most of the last (say) 3 years.
She will be missed on the pitch. I hope she can make an equally valuable contribution elsewhere.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It was very interesting to watch the rugby public's opinion of Amy change from "gee she's a good female touchie/ref" to "gee she's a good ref".
Perhaps it's just my reading of the various tv commentators over the years and my own opinion, but Amy was being judged solely on her professionalism for most of the last (say) 3 years.
She will be missed on the pitch. I hope she can make an equally valuable contribution elsewhere.

She grew up playing the game (against boys, of course). Eastwood juniors.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I agree with formerflanker's thought, she wasn't a good female ref etc, she was a good ref, and kind of a shame to see her stop.

You got the feeling that she understood the game, and loved it. That said, it must be a bit frustrating to know that there is a bit of a handicap in being female. It is just a fact of life that males are quicker over the ground, and that matters at the elite level.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I dont know if this is the correct place for Referees leaving but here goes.

And trailblazing referee Amy Perrett is putting down her whistle and opening her laptop. She is retiring from match officiating and moving into a role in Rugby Australia’s community team.

Perrett was the first woman to officiate a Super Rugby match and was a fixture on the Sevens Series, running her 100th match in the final of the 2020 Sydney 7s. She was named the Sport NSW official of the year this week.
“Amy is a world-class match official who has had a celebrated career in both formats of our
game,” RA boss Andy Marinos said.

“Her quiet disposition yet steely resolve are qualities that have set her apart in the game. We have been fortunate to have Amy referee at the highest levels within our game, both at home and abroad, and through this has paved the way for any aspiring female official, and this is a contribution to our game which we can’t celebrate enough.”

This is a bit of a shame, always good to see some diversity on the field and I thought she did a bloody good job as a referee.

Best of luck to her hopefully replacements will be just as good.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Hopefully with Amy moving into an RA role, she'll be able to assist with bringing the next generation of Aussie Refs through.

Contrary to what a particular SA coach may think, the current Aussie crop of Angus Gardiner, Nic Berry and recently Amy, have been solid referees. They may not be perfect, but I think we've seen better, consistent interpretations of rules and more flowing games with them having the whistle than other Refs.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Hopefully with Amy moving into an RA role, she'll be able to assist with bringing the next generation of Aussie Refs through.

Contrary to what a particular SA coach may think, the current Aussie crop of Angus Gardiner, Nic Berry and recently Amy, have been solid referees. They may not be perfect, but I think we've seen better, consistent interpretations of rules and more flowing games with them having the whistle than other Refs.
I think in general there are decent crop of referees everywhere, and don't forget most posters (and even SA waterboys?) tend to rate refs on their own biases! I personally can't think of any Aussie refs that are not up to standard. Same as refs from anywhere, they are like players and have odd off game, but I think in general all pretty good.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think in general there are decent crop of referees everywhere, and don't forget most posters (and even SA waterboys?) tend to rate refs on their own biases! I personally can't think of any Aussie refs that are not up to standard. Same as refs from anywhere, they are like players and have odd off game, but I think in general all pretty good.

On that point, I would like to see a bit of ref swapping between hemispheres.

So much moaning on these forums and the rugby world in general about how Northern and Southern hemisphere refs have different interpretations because certain aspects of the game are more focussed on yada yada yada.

I do believe there is some merit to that, refs in different competitions would be looking at pressure points for their competition. But to alleviate some of the perceived bias, it would be good for say Berry to head up North for do some Top 14 games for a while, might balance the ledger a bit more.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Oh great - that's good.

I wonder if he's planning to be back in Oz for the start of Super Rugby. Would seem strange for him to head north for only 1 or 2 games.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
there’s a big Aussie representation in the first 2 rounds of 6 Nations

Angus Gardener, Nic Berry and Damon Murphy are all assistant referees Rd 1, and will all be the main referee for Rd 2

Brett Conan is a TMO for a couple of matches also.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I am assuming that Gardner etc are there for 6Ns too, as SH refs usually do a few of those games, and no NZ refs will probably be involved as they can't come back into country because of MIQ etc.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I am assuming that Gardner etc are there for 6Ns too, as SH refs usually do a few of those games, and no NZ refs will probably be involved as they can't come back into country because of MIQ etc.

Angus was injured all last year & fell down the pecking order I think, you'd think by the july test window he would be back up there

not a bad ref just cant stand his tone sometimes

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Agree that the Australian crop atm are pretty bloody good. Maybe some QLD bias but I rate Berry the highest out of all them.

Personally I think Rugby goes too far down the line of having Referees as talking heads and I actually prefer refs that talk a bit less. Sure a polite explanation is sometimes required, but some refs think that they're giving nuanced judgements in the high court. Wayne Barnes (literal barrister) comes to mind, great ref but talks so much that commentators often have to be quiet so we can listen to the justice.

Another issue is when referees get a bit full of themselves and talk down to the players and lecture them. It's all well and good to clamp down on the players when they're going feral but it sometimes can sound condescending and uncalled for. A little bit of the players calling out and appealing is fine.

I guess I just find it frustrating because Rugby is already stop start enough without spending time listening to the ref chit chat away over the water cooler

IMO refs go the best when they have a polite, firm but also empathetic tone to the players, make decisions, explain them quickly and move on. Nic Berry is great for this

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Agree that the Australian crop atm are pretty bloody good. Maybe some QLD bias but I rate Berry the highest out of all them.

Personally I think Rugby goes too far down the line of having Referees as talking heads and I actually prefer refs that talk a bit less. Sure a polite explanation is sometimes required, but some refs think that they're giving nuanced judgements in the high court. Wayne Barnes (literal barrister) comes to mind, great ref but talks so much that commentators often have to be quiet so we can listen to the justice.

Another issue is when referees get a bit full of themselves and talk down to the players and lecture them. It's all well and good to clamp down on the players when they're going feral but it sometimes can sound condescending and uncalled for. A little bit of the players calling out and appealing is fine.

I guess I just find it frustrating because Rugby is already stop start enough without spending time listening to the ref chit chat away over the water cooler

IMO refs go the best when they have a polite, firm but also empathetic tone to the players, make decisions, explain them quickly and move on. Nic Berry is great for this
Yes, good communication should be concise communication from refs. For example, when a team has conceded multiple penalties on their own line, the ref doesn't need to give a long explanation about how many penalties they've given away, and that "something more might happen" if they infringe again. The ref just needs to say "Multiple penalties - team warning": every captain of a pro team knows what's coming next.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Yes, good communication should be concise communication from refs. For example, when a team has conceded multiple penalties on their own line, the ref doesn't need to give a long explanation about how many penalties they've given away, and that "something more might happen" if they infringe again. The ref just needs to say "Multiple penalties - team warning": every captain of a pro team knows what's coming next.

Great example. Play immediately resumes