• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'd only be dropping Flook if Paisami is coming back into start, instead I'd probably drop Daugunu for Vunivalu or bring him through off the bench. Petaia is going well at wing but also only really playing 60, so swapping him for Vunivalu after half time would be a good way to manage their minutes.

I'd be dropping Petaia, myself. Flook stays, Jock stays, Vunivalu starts. Or perhaps start Vunivalu from the bench. Either way for me on the the first two rounds, Petaia is not first cab off the rank.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Anyone see Offsiders this morning on ABC?

Talk of Tupou being worth $1.5-2m a year for his next contract. I am guessing he will be gone, maybe the Reds need to relocate his family to Brisbane to assist with his decision?
2 is a stretch. Arnold is new worlds highest on 1.5. Tupou could attract similar.

Talk is Aus rugby will offer a 5 year/1 mil per year deal. Covers both 2023 and 2027 WC. Difference in salary covered by allowing him TWO sabbaticals in Japan (Vs Hooper who got 1).

That would mean locked to play for wallabies for 5 years/2 world cups - which would be the Reds for 3 seasons (likely 2023 for the WC, 2025 for the B&I Lions & 2027 for the WC) and in Japan for 2024 and 2026.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
2 is a stretch. Arnold is new worlds highest on 1.5. Tupou could attract similar.

Talk is Aus rugby will offer a 5 year/1 mil per year deal. Covers both 2023 and 2027 WC. Difference in salary covered by allowing him TWO sabbaticals in Japan (Vs Hooper who got 1).

That would mean locked to play for wallabies for 5 years/2 world cups - which would be the Reds for 3 seasons (likely 2023 for the WC, 2025 for the B&I Lions & 2027 for the WC) and in Japan for 2024 and 2026.
That’s sounds a pretty decent option. Not sure it’ll be enough, but a fair crack. The one year old on, one year out option might be a bit of a head ache for the Reds, but better than losing him altogether.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'd be dropping Petaia, myself. Flook stays, Jock stays, Vunivalu starts. Or perhaps start Vunivalu from the bench. Either way for me on the the first two rounds, Petaia is not first cab off the rank.
I am shocked with that as thought petaia ok

great deal and really would he want to also live in Japan / Europe - sort of player who would have thought much prefer to live in oz / closer to family

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I wonder if they would shift to Townsville? I imagine all SEQ venues would have some issues at the moment.
Broncos due to play their season opener at Suncorp the Friday night before Reds next game at Suncorp, I reckon they’ll be doing everything to make sure they can play at the ground for that game. I have a feeling they won’t need to move any games.

Not wanting to take anything away from Townsville, but the Brisbane Fijian community is very strong, it would be a shame to take away the Drua game as they would lose a lot of supporters.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Flipio is first cab off the ranks when we have a choice. Hasn't really done anything and that dropped pill that was under no pressure could have been costly.

Jordan has excelled in his 60-65 minute cameos. If that's how we manage him and get the best out of him then I'm all for it.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)

I think this is the most consistent footy Petaia has played in the last few years. Maybe keeping him on the wing though and dropping Daugunu when Vunivalu returns is the right move, per some of the suggestions here.

I think with Vuni's injury history at the Reds and lack of game time, he needs to start when he returns (he's good enough) and just have him go looking for work until he's cooked, if it means he lasts 40mins or 60mins, so be it.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think this is the most consistent footy Petaia has played in the last few years. Maybe keeping him on the wing though and dropping Daugunu when Vunivalu returns is the right move, per some of the suggestions here.

I think with Vuni's injury history at the Reds and lack of game time, he needs to start when he returns (he's good enough) and just have him go looking for work until he's cooked, if it means he lasts 40mins or 60mins, so be it.

Daugunu also is having a slow start to the season. The difference is that Petaia is asking to displace players who are doing fine, and he hasn't seemed to offer much over what is there already.

Two games gives you a position on Petaia's consistency? OK. My thought differ.

I am shocked with that as thought petaia ok

Sure Petaia was OK. But Stewart has been sublime, Flook is deserving his opportunity, Jock Campbell so far has nothing to be bothered by Petaia. Daugunu is shaken and like Petaia must push his claim. Then there is Creighton.

With Vunivalu becoming available, and a Paisami return only a matter of time, who gets cut for Petaia? If Petaia was pushing for 13 my thoughts change a bit. If Stewart was not performing and Paisami moves to 12, 13 beckons for Petaia.

But on his hunt for the back three the argument is getting thinner. If Petaia is obviously better than Daugunu (not the case); or Jock wasn't performing (not the case); or Vunivalu had nothing to offer (yeah well)... I just think Petaia needs to show promise in the real world. More promise than Vunivalu and more real world performance than Jock.

"FIne" and "OK" are not going to cut it for Petaia from my thinking. And we have plenty of alternatives where I don't see a great downside.

If we cut Petaia from the Reds right now, I'm unconvinced we'd notice in terms of performance. Doesn't mean the guy isn't good. He just has to do better for a starting jersey in Qld.

imho

If he wants the gig, he needs to show it more thoroughly I think.

Last edited:

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Daugunu also is having a slow start to the season. The difference is that Petaia is asking to displace players who are doing fine, and he hasn't seemed to offer much over what is there already.

If we cut Petaia from the Reds right now, I'm unconvinced we'd notice in terms of performance. Doesn't mean the guy isn't good. He just has to do better for a starting jersey in Qld.

Curious Dru, can you expand why you're happy to give Daugunu a break but not Jordan?

I don't see Jordan displacing anyone at the moment. Flook and Stewart aren't wingers, so even if Hunter comes back and displaces Flook, Jordan and Josh aren't competing for the 14 jersey.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Curious Dru, can you expand why you're happy to give Daugunu a break but not Jordan?
I am also curious as to why Dru seems so set that Petaia has been meh yet Daugunu is okay. Statistically Jordan has outperformed Daugunu so far this year

A snapshot of the Tahs game:

Petaia - 4 runs, 28m gained, 1 try, 4 tackles made, 1 missed tackle

Daugunu - 2 runs, 12m gained, 0 tries, 2 tackles made, 3 missed tackles

Both players turned the ball over three times whether from a pilfer or handling error, arguably Daugunu loses the turnover category as well by giving the Tahs a great chance to win the game at the death with that dropped ball.

Rugby King

Sydney Middleton (9)
In terms of backline players returning to the field, I think Vunivalu coming back this week would really give me some confidence of getting a W over in Perth.

Bring Vunivalu in, drop Flook to the bench and move Petaia to 13. Jordy seems to be playing with some confidence and I'd like to see him closer to the action, although still not confident of him running around at 15. Our backline needs some more firepower, Daugunnu hasn't looked like his 2020 version for some time and Vunivalu is a player we know can make big plays when fit.
How is Jordy’s injury though?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I haven’t seen much from Daugunu to suggest he is better then Petaia on current form.

I feel that I said as much.

I am also curious as to why Dru seems so set that Petaia has been meh yet Daugunu is okay. Statistically Jordan has outperformed Daugunu so far this year
No, I think that Daugunu has to stake his claim and has had a slow start. He has more to do. At the moment though, it is his slot for Petaia to take. My comments have been on Petaia being called "OK" as a nod to him starting. I think he needs to do more.

To be fair to both of them, our first two rounds have not exactly been conducive to attacking rugby, we are only 2 rounds in. Anything can happen. I just don't agree that Petaia is a shoe-in. Yet.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I have continued to make excuses for Petaia for 2 years. Enough is enough. Whilst I understand that the touches on the ball depend on the halves for an outside centre and wing, the unforced errors and lack on run metres are dependent on him. He needs to get some consistency and make his own opportunities. I think he’s lucky to get a bench position.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I feel that I said as much.

No, I think that Daugunu has to stake his claim and has had a slow start. He has more to do. At the moment though, it is his slot for Petaia to take. My comments have been on Petaia being called "OK" as a nod to him starting. I think he needs to do more.

To be fair to both of them, our first two rounds have not exactly been conducive to attacking rugby, we are only 2 rounds in. Anything can happen. I just don't agree that Petaia is a shoe-in. Yet.
Yes the reds have played there first two games in atrocious conditions and whilst maybe none of the players setting the world on fire I remember petaia being in the right position to take the JOC (James O'Connor) kick to score a try last week and also don’t recall any defensive blunders. The reds improved against the tahs vs rebels game so I think reds are ok if keep heading in the same direction and they are 2 from 2.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yes the reds have played there first two games in atrocious conditions and whilst maybe none of the players setting the world on fire I remember petaia being in the right position to take the JOC (James O'Connor) kick to score a try last week and also don’t recall any defensive blunders. The reds improved against the tahs vs rebels game so I think reds are ok if keep heading in the same direction and they are 2 from 2.

Yep. RN, I'm not anti-Petaia at all. I just want to see more. I'm exactly the same with Daugunu.

Reds do need to keep stepping up. They have done what was needed in the first two, and we have learned to "win tough". It's a very good start.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I bet the Reds wish they had the services of Sorovi about now.

Any replacement with nearly 40 super rugby caps is worth their weight in gold when you’ve got an injury problem in a key position.

Nothing wrong with what I saw from Spencer Jeans last weekend. But having that experienced player in the 23 would be good.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I bet the Reds wish they had the services of Sorovi about now.

Any replacement with nearly 40 super rugby caps is worth their weight in gold when you’ve got an injury problem in a key position.

Nothing wrong with what I saw from Spencer Jeans last weekend. But having that experienced player in the 23 would be good.
Jeans is doing great. No need to go back to the Sorovi days.