• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Bid for 2027 World Cup

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Hamish wasn’t even interviewed for the article :D
Where did I say he was? Stop being so defensive, it's a classic case of RA putting a little pressure on gv't to promise monsy isn't it? Do you think these things are released without the board knowing?? :rolleyes: Man I have said a club I used to be on in the Nua did it, we had a fella who was into marketing and he used to say always say use the press wherever you can, and you can do by stretching things a little still will work.
Example ; Club was in small town (Levin) and we had won the Nua competition that year, and were wondering about sponsorhip etc for next year. Outside of rugby season so nothing happening in papers re rugby, so as a club we went to the Nua rugby union and told them we were talking of entering a team in Manawatu comp the next year, as it would make our team work harder. We had actually wondered wht it would be like if we did play in Manawatu, so weren't actually lying, just stretching things a bit. Local paper got into it, and we had cut out all write ups regarding our club so we could take them to local businesses and show them if they bought naming rights look how often they would get in paper etc. We actually had naming rights for our As and another one for our Bs the next year!
I not sure if WOB will remember it, he may of already left Levin by then. We copped plenty of crap about being too big for our boots wanting to go elsewhere t play, I used to just grin and say yep well you have to consider all possibilities, although we weren't really.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Let's not forget KRudd chucked $45m of federal money down the drain in our futile attempt to host the soccer WC some years ago. In the first round of voting we garnered the princely total of ONE vote. Surely the current lot, led by an Old Boy of Sydney High who played prop in the First XV, can see their way clear for a bob or two to find its way to Rugby Australia's coffers.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Let's not forget KRudd chucked $45m of federal money down the drain in our futile attempt to host the soccer WC some years ago. In the first round of voting we garnered the princely total of ONE vote. Surely the current lot, led by an Old Boy of Sydney High who played prop in the First XV, can see their way clear for a bob or two to find its way to Rugby Australia's coffers.

We need bipartisan support. Nothing will find its way into RA's coffers until after the Federal Election.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
We need bipartisan support. Nothing will find its way into RA's coffers until after the Federal Election.
That is likely to be too late W. If a commitment can't be made until after the election (result is known) then I think we are relying on WR (World Rugby) not having any other options. Would be a low act now for a 6 Nations (say England) country to come in with a bid.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
To clarify it’s not about money into RAs coffers, it’s about guaranteeing WR (World Rugby)’s income from the 2027 RWC bid.

Aus Govt are simply a guarantor for the RWC 2027 business’s case, unless it completely fails due to another pandemic, then all costs will be covered by the RWC itself and the Aus Govt won’t be called on.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Where did I say he was? Stop being so defensive, it's a classic case of RA putting a little pressure on gv't to promise monsy isn't it? Do you think these things are released without the board knowing?? :rolleyes: Man I have said a club I used to be on in the Nua did it, we had a fella who was into marketing and he used to say always say use the press wherever you can, and you can do by stretching things a little still will work.
Example ; Club was in small town (Levin) and we had won the Nua competition that year, and were wondering about sponsorhip etc for next year. Outside of rugby season so nothing happening in papers re rugby, so as a club we went to the Nua rugby union and told them we were talking of entering a team in Manawatu comp the next year, as it would make our team work harder. We had actually wondered wht it would be like if we did play in Manawatu, so weren't actually lying, just stretching things a bit. Local paper got into it, and we had cut out all write ups regarding our club so we could take them to local businesses and show them if they bought naming rights look how often they would get in paper etc. We actually had naming rights for our As and another one for our Bs the next year!
I not sure if WOB will remember it, he may of already left Levin by then. We copped plenty of crap about being too big for our boots wanting to go elsewhere t play, I used to just grin and say yep well you have to consider all possibilities, although we weren't really.
I just said the article wasn’t about Hamish because you keep talking about him.

I think you might still be bitter about Hamish calling out NZRU for their bullshit last year and he has been living rent free in your head ever since.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I just said the article wasn’t about Hamish because you keep talking about him.

I think you might still be bitter about Hamish calling all out NZRU for their bullshit last year and he has been living rent free in your head ever since.
:rolleyes:

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Tidbit from the budget.

Rugby World Cup 2027 (men’s) and Rugby World Cup 2029 (women’s)

The Government will provide funding over 8 years from 2022-23 to support Rugby Australia to deliver the Rugby World Cup 2027 (men’s), the Rugby World Cup 2029 (women’s), and Rugby World Cup legacy programs in Australia and the Pacific region, with funding subject to confirmation of successful bids for Australia to host these events.

The financial implications for this measure are not for publication as the bidding process is ongoing.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Was that the last bit? Getting budget approval?
Basically.. Australia have preferred status and targeted dialogue with WR (World Rugby) for preparing the bid, meaning the final vote is yes or no for Australia, not a vote between multiple competing nations.

It’s highly improbable(not impossible) that the vote would be rejected now and the process would open back up.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So we are shaping up as follows:

2025 - British Lions tour
2027 - RWC Mens
2029 - RWC Womens
2032 - Olympic Games (7s being a showpiece event)

2037 - British Lions tour

One of the finer details of the Fed Govt support announcement yesterday was this:

"The Commonwealth will also support legacy initiatives across Rugby Australia’s domestic programs and an investment into Pacific-focused programs, ensuring the impact of hosting is felt beyond the action on the field and for the benefit of the region."

Surely the value to some Private Equity firm has increased dramatically?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
"The Commonwealth will also support legacy initiatives across Rugby Australia’s domestic programs and an investment into Pacific-focused programs, ensuring the impact of hosting is felt beyond the action on the field and for the benefit of the region."

I read this as part of the governments ‘Pacific Step Up’ program to combat the growing political influence of China. So more programs like DFAT sponsoring the Drua and Pacific 7s tournaments.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah, I've go no doubt the Pacific stuff is DFAT related. Was hopeful the domestic programs might be a little more, but who knows?

Marce

John Thornett (49)
The Government will provide funding over 8 years from 2022-23 to support Rugby Australia to deliver the Rugby World Cup 2027 (men’s), the Rugby World Cup 2029 (women’s), and Rugby World Cup legacy programs in Australia and the Pacific region, with funding subject to confirmation of successful bids for Australia to host these events.
So there will be money to fund grassroots and elite rugby to have a competitive team in the next years?

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
yeah, I've go no doubt the Pacific stuff is DFAT related. Was hopeful the domestic programs might be a little more, but who knows?
Australia helping to mow the grass on a few bumpy Samoan rugby grounds vs China building a deep water port and extending the Apia airport?

You'd hate to be bringing a lawnmower to a 21st century territorial dispute!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Australia helping to mow the grass on a few bumpy Samoan rugby grounds vs China building a deep water port and extending the Apia airport?

You'd hate to be bringing a lawnmower to a 21st century territorial dispute!
A port that will inevitably be owned by China when they come calling for their high interest loan repayments.

Last edited:

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's great we're getting the 2027 and 2029 RWCs but why have we still not hosted an u20s tournament????