• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
A little bit more insight from Wright on why Daugunu's been overlooked in recent weeks:
“Lipo in for his 50th [Super Rugby game] … he’s a great character everyone’s excited for,” Wright said.

“He’s going to bring that typical flair he’s got, but he’s been working on reducing a few mistakes and being a composed member of the backline.

“Thorny’s been in his ear with that and he’s been training the house down.”

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
There is a wonderful video on the Reds FB page of presenting Daugunu with his 50th jersey with the Reds flying his mum over - who Filipo hadn’t seen since 2019. Unfortunately I seem unable to share, but really great stuff from the Reds. Well worth a look.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Whilst we are congratulating the Reds on wonderful things they’ve undertaken, how good is it to see that they are recognising the women who been capped for Queensland. Congratulations to Vanessa Bradley who has led the effort there. Vanessa, along with women like Shirley Russell, Selena Worsley & Shannon Parry, are at the heart of so much great work in promoting and developing womens rugby.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Really good timing of the bye for the Reds. Hopefully a couple of guys get through there injuries. Hopefully Wright not too bad, but it didn’t sound good. Any word on ASY (Angus Scott-Young)?

I’d assume Vest would be next cab off rank at 6, or maybe LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) with the other to cover lock from the bench. Who is our next backrow reserve?

Nasser needs to improve his throws, but otherwise is doing well. I thought Hoopert did well in his opportunity last night.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Really good timing of the bye for the Reds. Hopefully a couple of guys get through there injuries. Hopefully Wright not too bad, but it didn’t sound good. Any word on ASY (Angus Scott-Young)?

I’d assume Vest would be next cab off rank at 6, or maybe LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) with the other to cover lock from the bench. Who is our next backrow reserve?

Nasser needs to improve his throws, but otherwise is doing well. I thought Hoopert did well in his opportunity last night.

Hoopert has been somewhat unsung - thought he went well. Vunivalu back for next game?

Wilson

David Codey (61)

Nasser didn't look great when he went off, clutching his shoulder. Hopefully it was just a stinger and he'll be good to go in two weeks. Otherwise the Asiata return couldn't have been better timed, but it will rule out using Faessler as a backrow option.

As far as the next backrow reserve goes I think it's probably Keynan Tauakipulu, who still looked a year or two of in the trials but could be ok. Looking at the squad Lopeti Faifua is also an option, I haven't seen enough if him to comment. Hopefully Salakia-Loto is back and Wright, Angus Scott-Young and Uru aren't too far off, I don't think the rebels game will be too big a deal but I don't want to be reaching into the academy for the kiwi games.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah, I assume so. I’d like to see them bring him off the bench and give Flook & Daugunu another start. But I’d assume our back three will be likely to end up Vunivalu, Petaia, Campbell (how long is Campbell out for?)

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Nasser didn't look great when he went off, clutching his shoulder. Hopefully it was just a stinger and he'll be good to go in two weeks. Otherwise the Asiata return couldn't have been better timed, but it will rule out using Faessler as a backrow option.

As far as the next backrow reserve goes I think it's probably Keynan Tauakipulu, who still looked a year or two of in the trials but could be ok. Looking at the squad Lopeti Faifua is also an option, I haven't seen enough if him to comment. Hopefully Salakia-Loto is back and Wright, Angus Scott-Young and Uru aren't too far off, I don't think the rebels game will be too big a deal but I don't want to be reaching into the academy for the kiwi games.
Me neither - and nor do I want to take the Rebels lightly. The last thing we need is to drop a game which we should win. I agree Tauakipulu looks a far bit short of Super Quality (100% to be expected). But I guess if he is bench cover than if might not be too big as an issue.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I guess it depends on the exact surgery.

It’ll be good to get Campbell back, but the reality is we have depth there. At 6 we’ve pretty much worked through our depth.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
PS How good was Hunter’s shot on White last night. There’ll be a bit of banter at Walabies camp today.

White might have his banter dampened, might not be as easy as normal to talk. Or breath. ;)

I'm liking the response here from Thorn. He's driving toward the Kiwis and "wants to go deep". I don't think it's so much that he was disappointed in last night's performance. It's more that he expects to take on the Kiwis and that means the Reds need to be better. "Close, but no cigar."

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Me too. And it is noticeable McKellar is the same. I don’t think we are too far away but, in saying that, the margins at this level are very fine and we definitely need to find that extra precision in the line out, in attack and in our discipline.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
I just watched the replay then, and in the post game interviews Tupou mentioned Wrights injury. Says he lifted him in a lineout during the warmups, heard a noise when Wright landed, and he was in tears in the change room after. None of that sounds very good for Wright at all. Poor guy.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
White might have his banter dampened, might not be as easy as normal to talk. Or breath. ;)

I'm liking the response here from Thorn. He's driving toward the Kiwis and "wants to go deep". I don't think it's so much that he was disappointed in last night's performance. It's more that he expects to take on the Kiwis and that means the Reds need to be better. "Close, but no cigar."

Personally glad thorn called it as not good enough as to be frank I thought it was a frustrating game to watch as lot of potential out there in some plays but too many dropped balls, turnovers etc and simply was not good enough performance by the reds (let alone the brumbies who were rudderless and asleep at the wheel) to offer any impact or threat on the top teams.

Few steps forward from last week for both teams saw them both go a few steps back this week.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I think the main thing for the Reds is starting better. It’s taken a man getting sent off for them to really kick into gear the last two weeks. If they show that level of focus from the kickoff they can compete with anyone but they can’t afford to give the Crusaders et al. a couple of tries head start.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I just watched the replay then, and in the post game interviews Tupou mentioned Wrights injury. Says he lifted him in a lineout during the warmups, heard a noise when Wright landed, and he was in tears in the change room after. None of that sounds very good for Wright at all. Poor guy.

Poor bloke. The implications run deeper than just him missing for the Reds as well. He was probably in a position to push for a decent contract, even if it wasn’t at the Reds. Now he’s definitely going to be marked as injury prone red flag.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
With the way he was carrying it and the treatment he was receiving on the sidelines, it looked more than just a stinger to me. For the sake of our prop stocks, hopefully I'm wrong