• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 7 Reds v Brumbies, Suncorp Stadium 2/4 @ 6:45pm AEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Finally got to watch, and the big surprise was the dominance of the Reds scrum. Didn't see that coming and the Brumbies backs struggled behind a losing pack. It's been a while since that has been the case. All the Reds pigs were very good and IMHO only Frost stood out in the tight 5 for Brumbies, but both Reds locks were also good. Nullifying the rolling maul was also key to the win. Well done Reds

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Their lineout was a bit shit, too. Reds lineout the last few weeks was easy pickings but they were better on the night.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Finally got to watch, and the big surprise was the dominance of the Reds scrum. Didn't see that coming and the Brumbies backs struggled behind a losing pack. It's been a while since that has been the case. All the Reds pigs were very good and IMHO only Frost stood out in the tight 5 for Brumbies, but both Reds locks were also good. Nullifying the rolling maul was also key to the win. Well done Reds
The big surprise for me was the working over Hoopert gave Ala'alatoa! It makes me wonder if Hoopert has taken a step forward, or they had a specific plan for 7A's

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
The big surprise for me was the working over Hoopert gave Ala'alatoa! It makes me wonder if Hoopert has taken a step forward, or they had a specific plan for 7A's
Got to give some credit to the locks there, but yes the Reds’ front row definitely got the better of the Brumbies. Which probably puts a question mark over how good the Brumbies’ locks go come scrum time .

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Got to give some credit to the locks there, but yes the Reds’ front row definitely got the better of the Brumbies. Which probably puts a question mark over how good the Brumbies’ locks go come scrum time .
Yeah, early on Ala'alatoa seemed to give Hoopert a bit of a touchup, but the Reds scrum really came back hard. I think Pfitzy's call on the locks is on the money but credit to Hoopert.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I thought Paisami was awesome - he really was on a search and destroy mission.

I’d still have Ikitau in the Wallaby 13 as his left boot is mighty and he actually can set up his outside man. Hunter is a little blinkered at times.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
whats pissed me off the most this weekend has been the bellend calls from the stan crew. wtf happened to respect the ref? every call was reasonable against the rules, even the cam clarke yc. he had no chance of collecting it as he was going backwards off balance.

it was a cracking game where discipline was key at times. the reds were better at managing this.

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
Great win by the reds. Last couple of years have proven that they play a style of game that the Brumbies really struggle to deal with - high pressure through aggressive d and sweating on errors, coupled with a dominant scrum. Big question remains if they have developed from last year where they struggled to land many punches on kiwi opponents, who are better equipped (higher skilled and more athletic x-factor) to deal with it. Reds attack still very dependant on McDermott, though the aerial development of Petaia* will give opponents something to think about. They will need to show a bit more more in attack vs the kiwis though.

*Given England's reliance on their kick chase game, Petaia must be hot favourite for Wallaby 15 jersey despite his frustrating inability to put together a complete performance.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I thought Paisami was awesome - he really was on a search and destroy mission.

I’d still have Ikitau in the Wallaby 13 as his left boot is mighty and he actually can set up his outside man. Hunter is a little blinkered at times.
There's a little bit of recency bias here - Ikitau has been strong all season and would have earnt plenty of credit from his breakout Wallaby season last year.

He might not be as robust as Perese or Paisami but he's more rounded, far less prone to mistakes and makes good decisions in defence.

Perese is an interesting one though - he's most damaging in the loose or when play has broken down but I'm not sure it's enough to be a starting centre for the Wallabies

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
*Given England's reliance on their kick chase game, Petaia must be hot favourite for Wallaby 15 jersey despite his frustrating inability to put together a complete performance.
And we're getting closer to the point of not having to consider Hodge - which is very positive.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Great win by the reds. Last couple of years have proven that they play a style of game that the Brumbies really struggle to deal with - high pressure through aggressive d and sweating on errors, coupled with a dominant scrum. Big question remains if they have developed from last year where they struggled to land many punches on kiwi opponents, who are better equipped (higher skilled and more athletic x-factor) to deal with it. Reds attack still very dependant on McDermott, though the aerial development of Petaia* will give opponents something to think about. They will need to show a bit more more in attack vs the kiwis though.

Having caught up on some of the 'mini' games over the weekend, specifically the NZ games that I haven't had the time to watch, I actually think the Reds will be okay scoring against those teams.

It's the lack of discipline and subsequent periods where they could be a player (or two) down that really worry me. The Reds have got out of jail the last few weeks with a player in the red card bin yet the opposition unable to really put them to the sword. I don't think the kiwi teams will struggle to put points on over a 10 or 20min period where the Reds are down a player, their ability to exploit broken play against 15 men is good enough. Reds will need to sure up that side of things to stand a chance.

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
McReight and Wilson were the best backrowers on the park by a handy margin. Over the season Valetini has been excellent but he was clearly behind last night.
No huge issues with most of this, but Wilson made a lot of errors and got flattened by Valetini at least once. To his credit, he was less chirpy after that, though potentially due to being concussed.

Also re Paisami - one great shot but I'm not sure he had a lot of other involvements? Wasn't really a game for the midfielders, lots of errors and stoppages.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Also re Paisami - one great shot but I'm not sure he had a lot of other involvements? Wasn't really a game for the midfielders, lots of errors and stoppages.
From the stands it looked like he was reasonably involved offensively all night, and the ESPN stats seem to back that up. 7 runs for 63m (only beaten by Petaia (90m) and Daugunu (67m) across both teams), 1 clean break, 3 defenders beaten, 2 tackles. From memory, ran a few great decoy lines that obviously aren't captured in the stats as well

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
From the stands it looked like he was reasonably involved offensively all night, and the ESPN stats seem to back that up. 7 runs for 63m (only beaten by Petaia (90m) and Daugunu (67m) across both teams), 1 clean break, 3 defenders beaten, 2 tackles. From memory, ran a few great decoy lines that obviously aren't captured in the stats as well
Yeah, stats ignore those efforts off the ball which are just so important

Status
Not open for further replies.