• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Good that we are all so concerned about depth at 10.

Gotta say Henry is NOT a 10 by a long shot.

My ranking on options would be Creighton, Stewart, Greally then if more are needed have a look in QPR this weekend.
I mentioned Henry as he played 10 during his school years (and maybe a bit post-school for Wests?) - he obviously now looks at home in the centres, but has some experience there and could be a potential option from the squad (again, in a pinch). I think he'd be looked at before Greally.

Hoping Creighton goes well - given Stewart's performances at 12 I imagine they'd be reluctant to shift him. Similarly for Campbell at 15 while Petaia is out, but he could be the backup to Creighton going forward

Last edited:

Rugby King

Sydney Middleton (9)
Mafi must be close to returning? He posted a Rocky-esque training montage on the start of the Month showing he was back on the weights. Thankfully Richie returned at the right time.

Zane should be covered by Taniela and Feao, but we're a bit buggered if either of them need a break.

Henry has been MIA for two seasons, so his injury really hasn't caused any impacts yet. But he's missed more games for the Reds than JP aka becoming the next CFS.
Last year was actually Henry’s first season with the Reds. Didn’t play much in RA games but performed well against the NZ teams. Think he top scored and won man of the match in his first starting game in Townsville against NZ team.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
Last year was actually Henry’s first season with the Reds. Didn’t play much in Rugby Australia games but performed well against the NZ teams. Think he top scored and won man of the match in his first starting game in Townsville against NZ team.
Post RWC it will be players like Flook and Henry that we will be relying on to replace the likes of Stewart, Paisami etc who may be tempted by an overseas stint.
I think the pair of them have plenty to offer the Reds.
I dont know much about Lawson as a 10, having only seen him as wing fill in for the Reds. He has looked a bit nervous so far and made regular errors (mainly handling errors i believe). hopefully a shift at 10 will see him step up.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Who would have guessed 4 years ago we would have this dilemma today with the lack of a quality flyhalf. All the hype with Cooper, Lucas, Gordon, Parata, and Pasitoa. Where are they all now :(

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
Who would have guessed 4 years ago we would have this dilemma today with the lack of a quality flyhalf. All the hype with Cooper, Lucas, Gordon, Parata, and Pasitoa. Where are they all now :(
QLD has become a real production line of late, but the management/signing/retention of young 10s is an issue the Reds are yet to master

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
QLD has become a real production line of late, but the management/signing/retention of young 10s is an issue the Reds are yet to master
Reds' retention of 10s is one thing, but Aus rugby as whole has really struggled with producing high quality Super and International level 10s for quite some time now

dru

Tim Horan (67)

yeah, nah.

We've been struggling with 10 at the Reds since Quade originally left. We weren't able to build a good one for so long we brought Quade back at huge a $ cost that didn't bother Thorn. Working mainly with Stewart, a great rugby player, but not an ideal 10 even now, until JOC (James O'Connor) stood up. We had a small group of possibles (as you mention) who ran for cover before getting their big chance. We've been struggling at 10 for almost a decade. Right now we are doing OK with the back-up coming in. OK, not great.

I think it was Sully who suggested we have a (my interpretation of his post) "group approach" to 10. I think that's right. It's not a bad approach when we don't have (have not developed) an ace 10. And it should be pretty robust when we lose our no #1 10 to bring in a rookie. We have systems that work first receiver from multiple positions or simply work around it.

Yes it is the sort of thing that unfortunately the Kiwis could be adept at destroying, let's just see how good we are.

I'd be happier with JOC (James O'Connor) firing on all cylinders, but hi ho, let's go.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
yeah, nah.

We've been struggling with 10 at the Reds since Quade originally left. We weren't able to build a good one for so long we brought Quade back at huge a $ cost that didn't bother Thorn. Working mainly with Stewart, a great rugby player, but not an ideal 10 even now, until JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) stood up. We had a small group of possibles (as you mention) who ran for cover before getting their big chance. We've been struggling at 10 for almost a decade. Right now we are doing OK with the back-up coming in. OK, not great.

I think it was Sully who suggested we have a (my interpretation of his post) "group approach" to 10. I think that's right. It's not a bad approach when we don't have (have not developed) an ace 10. And it should be pretty robust when we lose our no #1 10 to bring in a rookie. We have systems that work first receiver from multiple positions or simply work around it.

Yes it is the sort of thing that unfortunately the Kiwis could be adept at destroying, let's just see how good we are.

I'd be happier with JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) firing on all cylinders, but hi ho, let's go.
Forgot Stewart. You’re right on your overview.

It’s an integral position and we really don’t know how to nail it down. JOC (James O'Connor) is the best we’ve got and that is still mediocre in comparison to the world stage. Not really a flyhalf. Wouldn’t it be great to have a Sexton, a Barrett or a … the list goes on.

Reactions: dru

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor)'s injury highlights a pretty big issue with the reds squad right now - where is our next/incumbent 10? It's all well and good to say Lynagh but the bloke hasn't even played Prem Grade yet - he's nowhere near Super Rugby level. When we let go Isaac Lucas, we really should have looked at bringing in a similar talent - who is available moving forward?
Best schoolboy tens in recent years have been:

Pasitoa (Brumbies Academy now Force)
Sam Walker (Roosters #6)
Gordons (both @ Rebels/Bulldogs)
Campbell Parata (NZ)
Noah Lolesio (Brumbies)

One of them should have been locked in.

Best 10 in Colts last year was Bas Ward. He’s not even in the Academy I don’t think.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Forgot Stewart. You’re right on your overview.

It’s an integral position and we really don’t know how to nail it down. JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) is the best we’ve got and that is still mediocre in comparison to the world stage. Not really a flyhalf. Wouldn’t it be great to have a Sexton, a Barrett or a … the list goes on.

It's a long term issue. Though I'm not unhappy with how we are feeding the backline with a sort of variable first receiver. It's not a bad response to the issue.

I'm not sure I'd accept JOC (James O'Connor) as mediocre on the world stage anymore., but hey, that's just me.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Best schoolboy tens in recent years have been:

Pasitoa (Brumbies Academy now Force)
Sam Walker (Roosters #6)
Gordons (both @ Rebels/Bulldogs)
Campbell Parata (NZ)
Noah Lolesio (Brumbies)

One of them should have been locked in.

Best 10 in Colts last year was Bas Ward. He’s not even in the Academy I don’t think.
Campbell Parata is at the Force now.
Its incomprehensible we are in this position

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It's a long term issue. Though I'm not unhappy with how we are feeding the backline with a sort of variable first receiver. It's not a bad response to the issue.

I'm not sure I'd accept JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) as mediocre on the world stage anymore., but hey, that's just me.
When was his last good performance starting at 10 for the Wallabies? Since his rennaisance I can think of only the game against NZ in Wellington.

Or are you saying hes worse than mediocre? Then I'd be more inclined to agree.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Campbell Parata is at the Force now.
Its incomprehensible we are in this position
It points to a problem in the lazy selection and development process at the Reds. They’ve got a seemingly rich nursery but still to go to NZ, Fiji, rugby league and the UK to find talent. Why? Because they limit the majority of their focus to the GPS competition making the assumption that those 9 schools are doing the heavy lifting with recruitment and skilling.

I don’t think they’ve contemplated a world where McReight isn’t there either for whatever reason (touch wood he remains fit). Probably got their eyes on someone in Japan as back up. Matt Todd still playing at 34?

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Move the recruitment focus from the school yard to the club grounds.
Pick a couple of 10’s that have ground out a couple of years in QPR to hone their skills.

one that comes to mind is Dalgleish at UQ a few years ago. Won premierships but no interest from pro Aussie rugby so took off to Scotland.

this concept goes for others too.
Cornelson, Matt Gordon etc etc

dru

Tim Horan (67)
When was his last good performance starting at 10 for the Wallabies? Since his rennaisance I can think of only the game against NZ in Wellington.

Or are you saying hes worse than mediocre? Then I'd be more inclined to agree.

Your off topic to this thread, but for me JOC (James O'Connor) is the best 10 we've had for some time, barring injury. Yes Quade was a fabulous throw back and I hope he stays in the frame, but I'd be a lot happier thinking JOC (James O'Connor) was a sure thing.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Your off topic to this thread, but for me JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) is the best 10 we've had for some time, barring injury. Yes Quade was a fabulous throw back and I hope he stays in the frame, but I'd be a lot happier thinking JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) was a sure thing.
Not that off-topic. He's old, good but not great at Super Rugby level and injury prone. You blokes should have a locked in at least one understudy by now (Lynagh might qualify I suppose) - particularly given you produce most of the talent these days.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Pick a couple of 10’s that have ground out a couple of years in QPR to hone their skills.

one that comes to mind is Dalgleish at UQ a few years ago. Won premierships but no interest from pro Aussie rugby so took off to Scotland.

was given a go in NRC and was middling at best. Club is his level

Last edited:

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Isn’t Sam Greene playing second division Japanese league? Same level as Quade.

I wonder if there was anyone reaching out to him. I admit I’ve not seen him playing recently but if he’s holding down that spot surely it would have been a good middle ground between a last legs JOC (James O'Connor) and years off Lynagh?

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)

Get what you’re saying, and I’m all for it. But those players you have mentioned don’t support your argument.
Flyhalf is an intriguing position. It’s a player that is commonly referred to as the rugby brain, the playmaker, reads the game and so on. Flyhalf is the the position that can be identified when a teenager because of these attributes. It’s usually the player with the best spread of skill. They really are the one percenters, and get signed up quite young because of they are few and far between.
A genuine flyhalf is captivating on the field and unfortunately in Australia many of them are playing NRL, with only a couple in our Super Rugby comp. There are a a bunch of centres masquerading as a flyhalf because that’s all we can draw from.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Wasn’t Hamish Stewart the Australian U20s five eighth in the same team as ASY (Angus Scott-Young), HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) and Perese (plus probably others)?