• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2022

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Are games off at Easts?
Stan only showing the Wests v Bond game and nothing on Rugby Xplorer for Colts 1 at Easts.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeah. Dominating. Playing good wet weather footy. Dominant scrum but good width of player. Spicer scored a cracking individual try.

Fields a mess though.

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
Poor and baffling decision not to postpone. Error ridden game due to the wet conditions resulting in a high number of breakdowns or turnovers. Not a good spectacle for the average punter. The womens' game after this will be a shocker. The groundsman will be having heart palpitations.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Poor and baffling decision not to postpone. Error ridden game due to the wet conditions resulting in a high number of breakdowns or turnovers. Not a good spectacle for the average punter. The womens' game after this will be a shocker. The groundsman will be having heart palpitations.
Why would you cancel for rain?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Why would you cancel for rain?

Not sure if you’ve seen the impact this rain has had in SEQ. 6 days of pretty constant and at times heavy falls. Lots of towns and areas just north of Brissy have again been smashed by flash flooding, the systems looked like they could have similar impact on Brisbane.

Most clubs have had their fields closed all week.

Cant blame any of the clubs for postponing.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Not sure if you’ve seen the impact this rain has had in SEQ. 6 days of pretty constant and at times heavy falls. Lots of towns and areas just north of Brissy have again been smashed by flash flooding, the systems looked like they could have similar impact on Brisbane.

Most clubs have had their fields closed all week.

Cant blame any of the clubs for postponing.
All the junior fields I played sports on down in Melbourne were worse than that. You just get on with it and play the conditions

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I agree with Rebel Man; why cancel because of the rain. Unless there is lightening or the field it completely under water then the show must go on.
Growing up and in senior rugby we rarely had a game cancel because of weather. If our club rugby fields were full of mud we sometimes moved to the opposition grounds or local school.
Yesterday’s game at Wests was enjoyable for the spectators and I heard a few players after the game making comments and laughing about it. All in the spirit of rugby.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Every situation needs to be assessed on it own merits. Health and safety being the utmost consideration.
Brisbane is slightly different in that traditionally we get rain early in the year and have a very dry winter.
If we don’t get any more rain before the end of the season Wests will look like a road and players will be more susceptible to concussion or broken bones impacting on the harder ground.
Many groundsmen will protect the fields until mid June and be more liberal in the second round.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Every situation needs to be assessed on it own merits. Health and safety being the utmost consideration.

Agree and I think that’s why a lot of these decisions were made.

It wasnt just the rain that was a factor but if flooding occurred in areas, even slightly, the fields would be compromised.

After the Feb floods there was literally shit water on the Brothers bottom field, it took weeks to get them back to a standard where they could be used.

Also happymans post is valid - the groundskeepers in Brissy curate their fields to play to our conditions. That’s why I don’t buy the argument from other states and countries who say ‘well we play in the rain’… it’s very much a horses for courses situation.