• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Why on earth would fans complain about 1-year deals? They almost always favour the club. If I was a GM, I wouldn't sign anyone beyond a 2 year deal.
Well that is a blanket statement. It is all deoendant on the player and where at. Top and proven player of course you want to lock in on long deals to avoid risking losing them to cashed up overseas clubs. Fringe player sure you don’t want to risk tying them to long term deal if unproven as bad business. I mean do you think people would be happy if tupou signed for 1 year vs 5 year deal.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Do we really need to go back the Moore Park next season? Watching the game last night it was great seeing what looked like a near capacity crowd at Leichardt. Makes for far better optics.
Yep I enjoy the atmosphere of leichardt but also bias as around the bay for me close to home. But agree smaller ground with more atmosphere better for rugby at the miner moment. Logic would be to play any other games at Leichhardt eg trials etc

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Lives in Sydney, in a rising team, great coaches, new Stadium next year, grabbed his opportunity and playing well. I think it was an easy decision for him. Great for the Waratahs and gives them great depth in that position.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Well that is a blanket statement. It is all deoendant on the player and where at. Top and proven player of course you want to lock in on long deals to avoid risking losing them to cashed up overseas clubs. Fringe player sure you don’t want to risk tying them to long term deal if unproven as bad business. I mean do you think people would be happy if tupou signed for 1 year vs 5 year deal.

I don't necessarily agree with that premise.

Where is the motivation for the player to keep growing and evolving their game if they're sitting pretty on a top dollar deal for 5 years? Deals of that length are quite rare in rugby, but you see it all the time in the NRL where a player signs a deal and then an extension to keep them at a club for 5 or more years and their form drops off a cliff after the first couple of seasons.

I personally think a 2 year deal with a 3rd year team option is ideal from a teams perspective. They can backload the deal so that the non-guaranteed 3rd year option balloons with a $200k increase or something like that, it keeps the player motivated to secure that final year of the contract.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Yep I enjoy the atmosphere of leichardt but also bias as around the bay for me close to home. But agree smaller ground with more atmosphere better for rugby at the miner moment. Logic would be to play any other games at Leichhardt eg trials etc
Are u a Bondi boy?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Has the new Moore Park a configuration for 30k capacity or am I confused by the Homebush redevelopment project?
If by ‘configuration’ you mean they can just have 15k seats sitting vacant while filling the other 30k… yes it does have that ability.

no there’s no different configuration ability for SFS or Homebush.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If by ‘configuration’ you mean they can just have 15k seats sitting vacant while filling the other 30k… yes it does have that ability.

They close sections - Homebush just closes the top tier usually for smaller crowds

There has been discussion about, for better broadcasting product, filling the seats in front of the cameras first so it looks fuller

Marce

John Thornett (49)

It's the Homebush project!

Three different seating moves. So u can set up a stadium of 30k for small crowds, 45k for medium crowds and the full capacity 75k for big games. They hide the seats according the configuration choicen.

The project has been suspended so it not makes sense to talk about it lol

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
They close sections - Homebush just closes the top tier usually for smaller crowds

There has been discussion about, for better broadcasting product, filling the seats in front of the cameras first so it looks fuller
Closing sections isn’t really a different configuration, most stadiums do this to save on staff costs already.

What was originally proposed for SFS was the ability to pull giant curtains along the top tiers to make it look/feel smaller. Similar to the Vancouver Stadium below, however this was scrapped because of cost

6708B532-C26A-4F59-AADF-24E59354F82B.jpeg

1592F2F1-9AC9-4864-841D-CCC387603C3C.jpeg

Last edited:

Marce

John Thornett (49)
What was originally proposed for SFS was the ability to pull giant curtains along the top tiers to make it look/feel smaller. Similar to the Vancouver Stadium below, however this was scrapped because of cost
I didn't know it. In that case we can put flags on the top stand like Bunnies in Homebush stadium lol

ANZ-Stadium-rabbitohs1.jpg

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Got to say I'm loving the direction the Tahs are heading in. This time last year I went into the foetal position whenever I looked at the team prior to game day.

Just reading through the QF team sheet, there are 21/23 NSW local products, with the only 2 non NSW being Charlie G, and Jamie Roberts. We could almost call Charlie a local considering how he ended up there.

The other non NSW players in the squad are Perese, Cridge, Faulkner, Tizzano, Tuipulotu and Tauakipulu. Nothing against recruiting to solve a problem that can't be filled locally, but it's great to see such a high percentage of local boys lacing up for the Tahs again.

Young guns like Edmed and Harris re committing, Beale back next year for a lap of honour, hopefully joined by Nadolo.

DC is walking the talk about making the Waratahs the place any NSW aspiring kid wants to be..

Last edited: