• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Of course Hamish is trying to get more money, I have no problem, just saying throwing hand grenades in press might just be causing colateral damage to Drua and MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika), which obviously isn't Rugby Australia's problem I guessing.
But I just wondered why it's all done in public , but maybe it's a cultural thing, in Aus it's maybe felt better to do these things in press and in NZ it's considered better to just talk to each other? When NZR were asked about it there answer was as usual we don't surmise things in press.
And I be honest only with Drua and MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika) getting damaged is what concerns me.
Yeah a cultural thing. Like releasing a report and saying we only want 2 of your teams. GTFO

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Unsurprising a bunch of kiwis are telling Australian Rugby what’s best for it, again.

All I hear from across the Tasman are criticisms for trying to do something new, yet no ideas on how to solve the issues which exist. When there’s some ideas on how to actually improve the ‘competition’ rather then scrambling to defend something which clearly doesn’t work, then they might get more ears.
I think the issue with this is. This has always been the preferred set up for NZ rugby. Whatever is not working for Australia, is not affecting NZ, so any possible change is met with scepticism, but Super rugby has not had a decent format for 20 years now. so the constant need for change is ever present.

This just further leads to instability, because we are never addressing the root cause of the issue. That is Australia's need for a genuine domestic competition (which is by far the most preferred option to the Australian sporting public).
Continue on past 2024 with Super Pacific and you just kick the old domestic agenda down the road., and which it will rear its head again when things don't improve.

Simply put, if Australia does not somehow address its domestic footprint, the game here will never improve.

Last edited:

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
The only card the NZRU has is they have an abundance of talent....that's it.
Talent can be brought if required. Just like the UK, France, Japan and USA Leagues.
Australia has the financial resources and momentum with 2 world cups, Com Games, Lions tour and Olympics. Now is the time if RA is to strike out on their own.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The only card the NZRU has is they have an abundance of talent....that's it.
Talent can be brought if required. Just like the UK, France, Japan and USA Leagues.
Australia has the financial resources and momentum with 2 world cups, Com Games, and Olympics. Now is the time if Rugby Australia is to strike out on their own.

NZ also has a lot more local interest in the game. Their broadcast rights (primarily through the value of the All Blacks) are worth a lot more than ours.

We don't have the financial resources. We will hopefully have the financial resources after we host the RWC in 2027.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
NZ also has a lot more local interest in the game. Their broadcast rights (primarily through the value of the All Blacks) are worth a lot more than ours.

We don't have the financial resources. We will hopefully have the financial resources after we host the RWC in 2027.
Australia does have the resources, RA doesn't. RA needs to pitch their concept to those resources. ie Corporate Australia.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah a cultural thing. Like releasing a report and saying we only want 2 of your teams. GTFO
Um was also released by RA, as NZR said as now they do now they wouldn't comment in press. But good on you for trying.;)
I would also add RA probably need to tell Rennie he has to play the game, it's not a good look when your coach is telling you that you getting it wrong.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
This just further leads to instability, because we are never addressing the root cause of the issue. That is Australia's need for a genuine domestic competition (which is by far the most preferred option to the Australian sporting public).
Is it though? All of Aus' other major sporting leagues (NRL, netball, basketball, soccer), apart from cricket and AFL, have a Kiwi team.

I'd argue that the biggest issue isn't the competition's format, rather the lack of competitiveness against NZ teams. If Aus teams were stomping all over the Kiwis week in week out no doubt engagement would be greater. Not disagreeing with you that removing the kiwis as a means to an end for competitiveness and less-predictable outcomes might be the better option, however.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

That's so right BH,Broadcast rights are primarily through the value of ABs, and why it got nothing to do with Super etc?
Anyway I not against Aus going alone if they think it better for them, just prefer it done a little quieter so Drua and MP (Moana Pasifika) don't become a thing of past.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Is it though? All of Aus' other major sporting leagues (NRL, netball, basketball, soccer), apart from cricket and AFL, have a Kiwi team.

I'd argue that the biggest issue isn't the competition's format, rather the lack of competitiveness against NZ teams. If Aus teams were stomping all over the Kiwis week in week out no doubt engagement would be greater. Not disagreeing with you that removing the kiwis as a means to an end for competitiveness and less-predictable outcomes might be the better option, however.
Bang on, the comp isn't poor, the Aus teams perhaps have been for a few years (and I say have been and not are). NZ teams seem to be just as poor in NRL, Soccer etc, just seem to accept they have to get better, like I said a cultural thing? And that not criticism of Aussie, and could also be that traditionally NZ (small pop etc) struggles to compete in a lot of sports ,so probably takes more satisfaction in improving enough to compete in NRL etc. Funny thing teams here tend to want to play in hardest comp, rather than winning lesser ones. I think of tems like Nua etc trying having ranfurly shield etc , knowing the chances of win are not good, but wanting a crack anyway.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)

You are right, competitiveness is an issue. It has been one since inception of the competition, and is really no closer to being solved 25 years later.

NZ says simply drop to 3 teams and you will then instantly be competitive, yet that just introduces the the issue of how to grow the game, but would having 3 successful teams be better ?

The challenge that RA have is growing the games popularity within Australia, it solves all your issues, the question remains what is the best option moving forward to acheive that goal in Australia.

The dilemma is we have tried Super Rugby for 25 years now and you simply cannot argue that it has failed miserably to meet even the most basic KPI of that objective.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
Anyway I not against Aus going alone if they think it better for them, just prefer it done a little quieter so Drua and MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika) don't become a thing of past.
Probably worth noting again that (disgruntled-ex) Fox broke the story and it's mainly been peddled by News Corp since. From what I've seen, there's been no mention across any of the official comms channels, and has only gotten a brief focus from Nine following a question to Rennie at a Wallabies presser. As you alluded to earlier, the timing might not have been Rugby AU's choice

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I say it is.

In reality, NRL, NBL and A-League are still domestic leagues, even with Warriors, Breakers, Phoenix. The netball league split from enzed some years back, added teams and went all Aus.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
That's so right BH,Broadcast rights are primarily through the value of ABs, and why it got nothing to do with Super etc?
Anyway I not against Aus going alone if they think it better for them, just prefer it done a little quieter so Drua and MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika) don't become a thing of past.
Yet, you can’t see the hypocrisy in this comment when NZRU said Aus should cull 2-3 teams and joining ‘their’ comp

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Probably worth noting again that (disgruntled-ex) Fox broke the story and it's mainly been peddled by News Corp since. From what I've seen, there's been no mention across any of the official comms channels, and has only gotten a brief focus from Nine following a question to Rennie at a Wallabies presser. As you alluded to earlier, the timing might not have been Rugby AU's choice
Yep I did say that in earlier post, I don't really believe RA released it, just hoped maybe could of hosed it down a little. I don't even think it really going to happen. And apparently Turunui on Stan Rugby heaven. I personally thought the Breakdown should of left it as what it was. too.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I say it is.

In reality, NRL, NBL and A-League are still domestic leagues, even with Warriors, Phoenix. The netball league split from enzed some years back, added teams and went all Aus.
Yep and now Netball aus comp is in a hole for $4 mill.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
On the Rennie comment all he said is he thinks Aus needs to play NZ.

95% of people calling for a change still want to play NZ teams, it’s just the preferred model in doing so is different to a league format.

Ian Payten yesterday confirmed that Aus offered up a different format to have the best of both worlds and the NZRU rejected it.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
And apparently Turunui on Stan Rugby heaven. I personally thought the Breakdown should of left it as what it was. too.
As rugby 'current affairs' shows they're somewhat obliged to address one of the biggest stories of the week though

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
This is now pulled out as an incorrect comparison for rugby and netball.

Netball Australia are in a hole because they are engaging in a commercial arms race for talent in the Australian sporting market. Unfortunately unlike AFL, Cricket and NRL they haven’t got another competition that allows them to channel significant funds to pay for players. It’s lead to a black hole in their bottom line. It’s why the Aus competition is an attractive place for overseas netballers to play. They have had to raise players salaries at not an organic rate to retain talent.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Heh... knew I could rely on that response :b ... I think they'll survive. Netball would've had to go domestic anyways over covid.

Here's a a question, though, from the other side ... Is the NRL and A-League a great option from the NZ p.o.v.?

Overall, I think not. The reason those handful of NZ teams are in here is least-worst. They don't have a comp of their own that's worth their while being in.

Essentially that was Robinson's 3-team pitch to McLennan back in the day.

Those are second-best options for organisations that don't have the nous or wherewithal to nail up their own shingle.

Should there still be TT matchups? Absolutely ... but after controlling one's own back yard.

Last edited:

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
On the Rennie comment all he said is he thinks Aus needs to play NZ.

95% of people calling for a change still want to play NZ teams, it’s just the preferred model in doing so is different to a league format.

Ian Payten yesterday confirmed that Aus offered up a different format to have the best of both worlds and the NZRU rejected it.

So NZ rejected an option that would have helped the RA address the fundamental issue facing Australian rugby, a greater domestic presence. Yet is now peeved that less than a year later, that fundamental issue is rearing its ugly head, and around in circles we go again.