• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
So NZ rejected an option that would have helped the Rugby Australia address the fundamental issue facing Australian rugby, a greater domestic presence. Yet is now peeved that less than a year later, that fundamental issue is rearing its ugly head, and around in circles we go again.
Will be interesting to see if the tune changes next year if viewership continues to decline over there. Wouldn't exactly say this year's comp was a rousing success for NZ either

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Will be interesting to see if the tune changes next year if viewership continues to decline over there. Wouldn't exactly say this year's comp was a rousing success for NZ either
Yes, but next year is the World Cup, so everything is viewed through that lense. the big issue could be 2024 if they continue with Super Pacific. Thats when a lot of front line players will be looking at overseas contracts, lets see what Aussie viewers think if you take 6 or more of its top players out of the playing pool.
This would be an issue regardless of structures, but Super Pacific promotes itself as a top league, to me 2024 will be the tester, which sadly RA by then could have locked themselves into, if the competition has littel buy in by the Aussie public now that is hardly going to increase then.

The benefit of a domestic structure is hopefully you are not solely reliant on a top down strategy.

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
I say it is.

In reality, NRL, NBL and A-League are still domestic leagues, even with Warriors, Breakers, Phoenix. The netball league split from enzed some years back, added teams and went all Aus.

you left out the last part of your final line " ... and then went broke..."

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Um was also released by Rugby Australia, as NZR said as now they do now they wouldn't comment in press. But good on you for trying.;)
He is referring to the Aratipu Report, you remember the report developed by NZ and leaked to the media which irreparably damaged relationships between NZ and RA?

Surely you’re not blaming RA for leaking a in-confidence report developed for NZ, by NZ stakeholders?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
That's so right BH,Broadcast rights are primarily through the value of ABs, and why it got nothing to do with Super etc?

Ok well If the rights aren’t worth anything then you won’t have any opposition to quantifying the value, pooling them and dividing them equally yeah?

Last edited:
Reactions: dru

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This is how pretty much all negotiations work. The side that is happy with the status quo or how negotiations are currently progressing doesn't make any public comments and then the side that needs/wants things to change and isn't getting anywhere makes some public statements to try and force the issue or improve their bargaining position.

It's not rocket science to work out why NZRU is saying nothing and RA is out in the media posturing for changes post 2023.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
He is referring to the Aratipu Report, you remember the report developed by NZ and leaked to the media which irreparably damaged relationships between NZ and Rugby Australia?

Surely you’re not blaming Rugby Australia for leaking a in-confidence report developed for NZ, by NZ stakeholders?
Exactly. The NZRU review into Super Rugby overseen by the chairs of the 5 NZ Super Rugby sides, Brent Impey (chair of NZRU) and Mark Robinson (CEO of NZRU). Yep, makes complete sense that it was leaked by RA. FML.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It'll be interesting to see how the July tours impact these discussions. .

If NZ and Aus send Eng and Ireland packing you can expect Super Rugby fans to hold it up as working.

But if the results are negative it will probably feed the secessionist fires.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
That's so right BH,Broadcast rights are primarily through the value of ABs, and why it got nothing to do with Super etc?
Anyway I not against Aus going alone if they think it better for them, just prefer it done a little quieter so Drua and MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika) don't become a thing of past.
Stop doing that, Dura and MP (Moana Pasifika) will be fine, your using it to hide what you really feel, which is you want Australia to just do what NZ wants. You are so see-through with your agenda.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Yes, but next year is the World Cup, so everything is viewed through that lense. the big issue could be 2024 if they continue with Super Pacific. Thats when a lot of front line players will be looking at overseas contracts, lets see what Aussie viewers think if you take 6 or more of its top players out of the playing pool.
This would be an issue regardless of structures, but Super Pacific promotes itself as a top league, to me 2024 will be the tester, which sadly Rugby Australia by then could have locked themselves into, if the competition has littel buy in by the Aussie public now that is hardly going to increase then.

The benefit of a domestic structure is hopefully you are not solely reliant on a top down strategy.
So it will be like an injury ravaged season?

People will still watch the game, If the Reds had 15 rookies next season I would still watch every game. I support the team, not the players this way when a player leave or arrives I am ready to get behind them.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
So it will be like an injury ravaged season?

People will still watch the game, If the Reds had 15 rookies next season I would still watch every game. I support the team, not the players this way when a player leave or arrives I am ready to get behind them.

Supporters like you, me, and most of the posters on this forum aren't the problem though. Our money has already been spent.

The league isn't sustainable with just us putting bums in seats and turning on the TV, it's the 50/50s who need to be invested. They won't be invested in a team of rookies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
So NZ rejected an option that would have helped the Rugby Australia address the fundamental issue facing Australian rugby, a greater domestic presence. Yet is now peeved that less than a year later, that fundamental issue is rearing its ugly head, and around in circles we go again.
Wrong again, NZR are not peeved, they haven't made any statement at all, where did you get that from? All they said is we don't comment in press . Mate I not against RA looking at it, just want Drua and MP (Moana Pasifika) not to get damaged, my only comment.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
He is referring to the Aratipu Report, you remember the report developed by NZ and leaked to the media which irreparably damaged relationships between NZ and Rugby Australia?

Surely you’re not blaming Rugby Australia for leaking a in-confidence report developed for NZ, by NZ stakeholders?
Aha that was still released to RA before press. But regardless just think this could be handled better, and by seemingly doubling down on it, if RA don't now come up with another comp, as I said earlier thsy will start to look like the boy who cried wolf , and will lose a lot of ability to put pressure on in future.
Mate I think RA should really be saying we are leaving (if they are) to allow everyone including PI teams, new Aussie teams etc to get themselves set up. Players won't be contracted overnight, and don't want more players going overseas because of uncertainty.
I personally think if it better for RA to do it, carry on but don't you think it should be getting set up now? there is only 1 season left to do it.
We all know in reality (like NZR) tv will tell us what is happening.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Wrong again, NZR are not peeved, they haven't made any statement at all, where did you get that from? All they said is we don't comment in press . Mate I not against Rugby Australia looking at it, just want Drua and MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika) not to get damaged, my only comment.

The Drua are funded by the Australia govt, they only way they will loose that is if suddenly the Fiji govt allow a Chinese naval base to be built.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Does anybody know what the viewer numbers for Super Rugby are like in NZ?
Never seen , don't even know if they released, same as Aussie only releases FTA figures, so one game a week. I believe it wasn't great early in season, but was never in NZ as season starts to early. But it obviously enough along with other comps to make it worthwhile them paying $91 mill a year or whatever the figure is.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The Drua are funded by the Australia govt, they only way they will loose that is if suddenly the Fiji govt allow a Chinese naval base to be built.
Really by how much? They got Aus gov't money as part of grant to Fiji sports , but is it ongoing? Fiji gets a good grant of $52 mill between 2019 and 2023 , and Drua was given a $1.8 mill sponsorship out of that, after 2023 (not even sure if next year) there is not a deal or anything in place. The money ($52m) also help Fijian olympic athletes etc, and league teams etc.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Ok well If the rights aren’t worth anything then you won’t have any opposition to quantifying the value, pooling them and dividing them equally yeah?
I have no problems at all, never have. Mate people smarter than me know how much comps etc are bringing in, if having NZ teams in comp doesn't add anything to RA's cut they should get nothing from RA's share of the pot and vice versa. You should get out of comps what you put in. Hell if RA said well Qld /NSW etc get us more money out of tv, and they decided to pay them a bigger cut, wouldn't see the problem as they are teams you need. Case in point NZR were concerned the Blues (biggest tv market etc) were struggling so spent money (putting in board members etc) to right the ship! Makes sense to me.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Really by how much? They got Aus gov't money as part of grant to Fiji sports , but is it ongoing? Fiji gets a good grant of $52 mill between 2019 and 2023 , and Drua was given a $1.8 mill sponsorship out of that, after 2023 (not even sure if next year) there is not a deal or anything in place. The money ($52m) also help Fijian olympic athletes etc, and league teams etc.

The logo is even on the back of the boys & girls jerseys, yes its on going. I know a fair bit about it because I have someone close to me working in Port Morseby & this program does the same thing with the PNG Hunters a Rugby League side that playing in the local queensland comp.

Also have a look at this link, goes to show how much money is spent in the pacific from the aust govt. (obviously not just on sport) health, education & covid relief is the majority.

p.s. yes I am aware that world rugby was also a significant investor of both Drua & Moana

I'm certainly not having a go at anyone this is just a topic I know well about.